Looking to buy first guitar... help!!

Soldato
AS per title, im looking to start learning to play the guitar, electric specifically, basically im not entirely sure where to start, ive looked around at numerous guitars and guitar packages, while I dont want to spending loads of money, I dont want to skimp and end up with a poor quality item.

The guitar package ive been looking at (as a beginner) is the Encore Blaster KC3 Electric Guitar

At £90 its not too bad and from the video on the site it sounds pretty good considering its only a 10watt amp.

Can anyone offer input on where to start and if the above is a decent enough guitar to start out on.

Soldato
AS per title, im looking to start learning to play the guitar, electric specifically, basically im not entirely sure where to start, ive looked around at numerous guitars and guitar packages, while I dont want to spending loads of money, I dont want to skimp and end up with a poor quality item.

The guitar package ive been looking at (as a beginner) is the Encore Blaster KC3 Electric Guitar

At £90 its not too bad and from the video on the site it sounds pretty good considering its only a 10watt amp.

Can anyone offer input on where to start and if the above is a decent enough guitar to start out on.

this will get you going, but if it doesnt play at well, then it will put you of playing in a hurry ...

Encore isnt great, but its a lot better than a lot of the crap out there.

go for it !!

happy strumming

;)

Northwind2

N

Northwind2

I keep on saying it, but that guitar should do you not too bad... Though it'd make sense to get it set up for you, Encore's qc is nothing short of dismal and a lot of shops won't do any pre-sale work on these packs. But, the amp's going to be horrible. At this level I'd honestly sooner skimp on the guitar than the amp. I'd rather stretch the budget and not skimp on either but that's not an option for many, so fair enough. I put off buying a guitar for years because I couldn't afford a decent one, wish I hadn't now.

Soldato
Have you been to a shop and tried playing any? Which guitar is best depends on what style you like. For example, I like rock power chord stuff so I have an Ibanez RG 470 but it wouldn't be right for other styles. You can only really tell if you're going to like a guitar by playing it.

Rgds

Radderfire

Soldato
You can't expect to go to a discount warehouse and expect to pick up a crap brand musical instrument you can play. Go to a music shop and try some out then look for the best price for the instrument you feel comfortable with.

Think of it as being a bit like shoes, buy the crap ones without trying them on and you will be dissapointed with your purchase.

Xon

Xon

Associate
Is the amp really necessary, could i not connect the guitar directly to my xfi sound card?

Yes you can.. I find it much better than the amp actually; you do need good quality spkrs tho and make sure not to increase the volume slowly you don't wanna blow them

Soldato
a mate just bought his first plank, ordered one of these http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69143, cracking guitar for its price .

gibson.jpg

okay you don't get an amp or any extras but it sounds great , very comfortable to play and looks superb.

Soldato
OP
Thats the thing, I would love to go for something like the Yamaha but i would still need to then buy all the extra bits, specially the WTF to do book as I have never EVER played a guitar before, hell all i know is its got 6 strings, some frets and thats about it, and the only reason i know its called frets is cos i must have spent 2-3 hours last night looking at all possible options.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats the thing, I would love to go for something like the Yamaha but i would still need to then buy all the extra bits, specially the WTF to do book as I have never EVER played a guitar before, hell all i know is its got 6 strings, some frets and thats about it, and the only reason i know its called frets is cos i must have spent 2-3 hours last night looking at all possible options.

haha, Well first things first. Get your self to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

That way you no longer need to buy any books :p

Soldato

i was the same, i didn't know anyone who played guitar, i didnt know how the strings were tuned up , i didn't know about makes of guitars . I went to a local guitar shop and spotted a black Westone guitar i liked the look of for £100 and told the bloke ill buy that. Never tried it first as i was too embarrassed by all the Yngwie wannabes throwing out licks left right and centre. Paid my cash took it home and plugged it into my Hi-Fi jack and made noises.

20yrs on and im still awful, i don't know scales, chord names and never had a lesson etc etc but i can play along with the music of the groups im into and i love it. Ive got a Fender Bullet (mix of Strat+Tele) ,a 30yr old Gibson Gold top and a battered Yamaha acoustic , all bought second hand .

you never know until you've messed about for a few months as to whether you will want to play it for real, so grab any guitar and try to have some fun, if you enjoy it and persevere then look into a proper one

gluck

Back
Top Bottom