Looking to dab my toe into watercooling, can I have some advice please

V F

V F

Soldato
As for parts and brands, for slim rads the Hardwarelabs Nemesis GTS range is superb, and what I run. AquaComputer, EKWB, AlphaCool etca LL make good kit.

No reason at all you can't do a CPU loop first. You could even add in a couple of QDCs and just plug in the GPU block when you're ready.

I do love the name of the Hardwarelabs GTS. Nemesis. That was the reason I picked it over the EK slim as I've read EK slims aren't good performers. Just a shame I couldn't make use of the XE in my build.

Soldato
corsair pumps are about 50% the power of other D5 pumps, the rebadged rads are £20 more expensive than the black ice OEM badged ones and EK have shocking QC and are expensive (don't offer anything over less expensive options)

QC is spot on IMO. Customer service is up there to be honest as well. When ever i've had issues they have had no problems replacing stuff or giving advice.

I use Bitspower rotaries and EKWB compression fittings, blocks, radiators. Always been spot on, just as good as other brands i have used before. Alphacool etc.

Went barrow once. Probably decent on the hardline tube and rotary stuff like bitspower. But the soft tube fittings required a grip like Arnold Scwarzenegger, impossible to fit once in the case. Couldnt even get them fitted and didnt find them too well engineered (barb was too short, could screw collar past the fitting and tubing could be pulled off too easily) so in the end trusty EK fittings went back on and those went in the bin.

Theres also the fact that if one of the fittings fails and blows a few thousands worth of components i know which company i would trust to pay out. EKWB customer service wise are very very good. As i suspect bitspower + corsair are as well as a few other big brands.

Soldato
I've been really impressed with the Corsair stuff. Not done wc for 20years. But I'm very happy. Pay a bit for the rebadge with their logo...but all in all its good.

I read the pump isn't that powerful, but that's meaningless negative unless you have a very complicated setup. A standard CPU and GPU setup it's fine.

V F

V F

Soldato
I've been really impressed with the Corsair stuff. Not done wc for 20years. But I'm very happy. Pay a bit for the rebadge with their logo...but all in all its good.

The only problem I heard about Corsair was they use plastic instead of POM acetal.

Soldato
The only problem I heard about Corsair was they use plastic instead of POM acetal.

That's my main issue; I've watched teardowns and it's mainly cheaper plastics with a little chassis added for looks. Personally do not like the aesthetic either. Think they look cheap.

EK makes great kit, I have a bunch of their stuff and it lasts years and stays looking good. I do agree their prices have crept up recently though.

I read the pump isn't that powerful, but that's meaningless negative unless you have a very complicated setup. A standard CPU and GPU setup it's fine.

Very glad you're pleased with your new setup, and welcome back. Beats pond pumps and hose clamps, eh? :D

Re: the pump; yes and no. People tend to run pumps at 50% or less, so day to day that power isn't needed. If it is, most of us opt for a dual pump solution if we want more throughput or pressure.

That being said, being able to crank the pump is immensely useful for filling, bleeding and cleaning

V F

V F

Soldato
Very glad you're pleased with your new setup, and welcome back. Beats pond pumps and hose clamps, eh? :D

I remember those days back in 2003/4, seeing people with the same pump I used to have in one of my big gravel fish filters with the grey plastic cage. It was quite a big pump. :cry:

Soldato
OP
I did see the block had been announced.
£225 for the block on its own, ouch, I thought GPU blocks was around the £130-150 mark.

I wanted to get all my components via ocuk, and it seems these Hardware Labs are not sold here, I found a EK slim 360 rad in the clearance section for £45, as well as a phanteks CPU block for £39.95.

Res/combo, couldn't find anything in the clearance section, so found the Aqua Computer Ultitube D5 100 combo for £169.99

Just a case of another 240/280 slim rad, fittings, tubing and liquid (I think?)

Soldato
I did see the block had been announced.
£225 for the block on its own, ouch, I thought GPU blocks was around the £130-150 mark.

Crikey, that's steep. When I was upgrading to a 1080, the block and backplate was around £110.

I've been shocked recently by the price increases customers are having to swallow. I stopped buying new when the 20 series launched, it was a trend I couldn't support, and it seems to have spread.

Everything now seems more expensive; WC parts, components, even motherboards. The latest intel ones seem so bare bones with many features stripped from the previous gen. And there's a marketwide movement away from budget ranges, too.

The chip shortage hasn't helped, but frankly I do wonder if that's being worsened intentionally.

It's a real shame too; the barrier to entry is so high now for new and young people these days.

Thank goodness for the MM, eh boys :D

Soldato
OP
Crikey, that's steep. When I was upgrading to a 1080, the block and backplate was around £110.

I've been shocked recently by the price increases customers are having to swallow. I stopped buying new when the 20 series launched, it was a trend I couldn't support, and it seems to have spread.

Everything now seems more expensive; WC parts, components, even motherboards. The latest intel ones seem so bare bones with many features stripped from the previous gen. And there's a marketwide movement away from budget ranges, too.

The chip shortage hasn't helped, but frankly I do wonder if that's being worsened intentionally.

It's a real shame too; the barrier to entry is so high now for new and young people these days.

Thank goodness for the MM, eh boys :D
Yeh I have priced it all up and it's turned me away to he honest, think I'm just going to get some better fans and maybe a different case, that new 011 mini air is really taking my fancy!

I also agree, I ordered a 12600kf ready to make the jump, but when the board prices was released I folded and sent it back, went from my 10400f to a 5800x and b550 strix board instead

Got a high end b550 board for £125, cheapest ddr4 z690 was £200

Back
Top Bottom