Looking to do something probably entirely boring: Accountancy

Caporegime
So yeah, i'm a bit tired of not having much to put on my CV and thus get nowhere when job-hunting and want to attempt to rectify it.

So basically, i came to the conclusion that there is always some accountancy jobs flying about and honestly wouldn't mind it (I think).

So, firstly, am i wasting my time?, if not - Whats the best course of action to get a qualification down?

I should note that i am currently doing a full-time Physics degree (so i already use Excel plenty, but have no idea about SAGE)

Caporegime
Do you mean you're getting frustrated looking for part time work (given that you're a full time student) or do you mean a career for when you've graduated?

If this is for when you graduate, since you're doing a numerate subject, have you considered training to become an Actuary? If you're into maths etc.. you may find it more interesting and your degree will be semi-relevant*.

*I mean at least your calculus ought to be **** hot as a physics grad and you'll have some exposure to probability - quantum mechanics, statistical physics etc... plus just general experience of having to apply mathematics

Last edited:
Soldato
Logic is flawed.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion and how being proficient with excel makes you a 'good' accountant?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Aren't you better off asking at your uni careers office? Graduate with a good degree, get on a big 4 graduate scheme, pass you exams, climb the greasy ladder.

Caporegime
OP
Logic is flawed.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion and how being proficient with excel makes you a 'good' accountant?

I didn't say it made me good, just that i'm already doing relevant work, it was just passing thought really, i really just want a job prior to graduating and figured it was more interesting than the droll people end up doing.

Probably far too restrictive in comparison to say a supermarket job though, which is likely the more suitable job... Honestly just wondering to scrap the idea and keep searching?

Last edited:
Caporegime
i really just want a job prior to graduating and

get some work experience in your long university holidays then - summer internship ideally or even just unpaid work experience

even if you missed out on internships at the big established firms I'd bet if you phoned round some local firms you'd get a few bites - being an excel/VBA whiz may or may not be relevant to a career as an accountant but it is certainly a useful thing to be if you want ad-hoc summer work at uni... pick up the phone/write some letters

Soldato
I have a Physics degree and am CIMA qualified. Accountancy is pretty broad brush so if you are interested you don't have to be pigeon holed. In my case I have experience in financial and management accounting, worked as a recharge accountant, and now do none of those things. I have recently been working with compliance system specification and deployment. A normal day involves reviewing investments and writing papers for the Board and senior management for a FTSE100.

Did my degree help? Well I found the study relatively straight forward, however doing so while working, along with family commitments, made it more challenging than Physics at uni in some ways. Internally the degree did give me a leg up in some respects.

Best option is to finish your degree, get at least a 2:1 and get a role with KPMG, EY, Deloitte or PwC. Spend 3 years grafting and then leave for good money. In that time try to find your way onto interesting assignments and find a specific area to focus on and pursue that.

Caporegime
OP
Alright thanks, though i do sorta like the idea of actuary work (reading on the official institutes site), might it be worth it to begin the CAA process now to make myself look better?

If not then, ill just find droll'y work til i graduate.

Associate
If your doing a physics degrees and can come out with a decent result (2:1 or first) the government will fund and pay a decent salary for you to do teacher training - and as a physics teacher you will be *highly* in demand - you would be able to easily chose where you work for a few years. I'm not advising you stay in that career but its a way to earn a decent whack while you find something else.

Caporegime
Alright thanks, though i do sorta like the idea of actuary work (reading on the official institutes site), might it be worth it to begin the CAA process now to make myself look better?

If not then, ill just find droll'y work til i graduate.

surely it would be better to pass the first exam for the actual fellowship tract... pretty sure you can attempt it without being a member, looks like it is just basic financial maths

then again, don't sacrifice your actual degree studies, you'll be in a better position graduating with a good 2:1 or 1st then ending up with a 2:2 because you decided to study for a few actuary exams early

how long do you have left at uni - do you have another summer in which to get an internship?

Soldato
If your doing a physics degrees and can come out with a decent result (2:1 or first) the government will fund and pay a decent salary for you to do teacher training - and as a physics teacher you will be *highly* in demand - you would be able to easily chose where you work for a few years. I'm not advising you stay in that career but its a way to earn a decent whack while you find something else.

Don't do this.

Caporegime

if you're not planning to actually stay in the career then you should only really do something like this with a scheme such as teach first where you get the teaching placement then a grad scheme at a bank/big corporate...

don't just become a teacher because you can't get a job elsewhere

Caporegime
OP
Eugh, teaching, no thanks. I'm not the sort.

surely it would be better to pass the first exam for the actual fellowship tract... pretty sure you can attempt it without being a member, looks like it is just basic financial maths

then again, don't sacrifice your actual degree studies, you'll be in a better position graduating with a good 2:1 or 1st then ending up with a 2:2 because you decided to study for a few actuary exams early

how long do you have left at uni - do you have another summer in which to get an internship?

Doing an Mphys currently, still have two viable summers and i guess if i wanted to, an industrial placement in one of the years.

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends what level you want to come in at, the exemptions you may or may not have, and the level of expected salary.

Accountancy isn't a five minute qualification you can pick up, it takes years of hard work, bouts of which can be very dry (but ultimately rewarding).

If you want to start from the ground up then I'd consider doing either AAT over two years, or do the CIMA (management)/ACCA (financial) certificate levels over a year. If you feel as though you enjoy it at that part and find it doable, then you can progress and complete the remaining papers over what will probably take at least two years.

Associate
Hi,

I've spent the last two years working weekend shifts in my current role as fibreglass laminator, enabling me to go to college durning the week to study AAT. I'm due to finish level 4 in July.

Yesterday, I managed to secure my first accounts role, after a weeks temping position. They've agreed study support with CIMA too!

So I can finally give up working weekends in a job that I hate!

If you have no accountancy experience I would definitely recommend AAT as a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom