Looking to get back into biking...need a MTB and advice.

Soldato
Hi all, really need to start exercising more and need a hobby, I've decided I want to start XC riding again.

First things first, I need a bike. I will mainly be riding on bumpy roads/gravel tracks and paths so I'm thinking a hardtail will be my best bet with some medium sized tyres. I like the look of the Specialized Hardrock.

My budget is around £300.

Also, when it comes to bike maintenance/security I haven't got the foggiest. Which essential bits of kit should I have aswell as the bike?

Cheers :)

I have an Evans Cycles and Mike Cooksons near me, are these reputable places that aren't rip offs or is it best to buy online?

Last edited:
Associate
Can't go far wrong with a Spesh.

I have a GT Avalanche 3.0 disc which I bought after asking the same question. I've been to laggan wolftrax on mine and it held up superbly. The frame is the same throughout to 1.0 maybe 0.5 in the range.

The 2007 version is in wiggle at the moment with £30 of free stuff plus they have a 20% off over £100 in february. seems a good deal to me.

There are a few good bargain's about at the moment if you're not bothered by disc brakes. Chain Reaction have the 1.0 v-brake for £340

Soldato
There are a few threads knocking about answering this question, have a snoop through the older pages.

As mentioned though, Specialized will see you good around this price, as will Giant, GT, Dawes, Claud Butler, Trek, some others...

Check out Evans Cycles, their range is pretty good, but you need to get along to some bike shops really and start sitting on stuff to see what feels right.

Bikes are like women, they're all different but good fun if you find one that rides well.

Soldato
OP
Aye, there's an Evans Cycles in Manchester town centre so I'm going to pop down there sometime soon. I just didn't fancy going down there with no idea whatsoever of what to be looking at and what would be best for me.

Would you say hydraulic discs are something which once you've had you couldn't live without or will V-brakes do for the time being? I get all anal when it comes to having the best stopping power possible :o .

Soldato
I couldn't go back to V's and certainly wouldn't put up with cable discs, but you won't find hydro's on a bike for £300.

Depending on what riding you're going to be doing though a half decent set of well set up V's should be ok.

Soldato
OP
I'm wondering whether to wait a bit longer so that I can raise my budget to include some hydraulic discs. It's the worst feeling in the world knowing that for just a small budget increase you could have something much more useful and much more long term.

What price range would I be looking at for a full hydraulic disc bike or is it better to buy the bike with V's and retro fit the discs?

Soldato
DanTheMan said:
What price range would I be looking at for a full hydraulic disc bike or is it better to buy the bike with V's and retro fit the discs?

Start off with V's and spend your cash on the overal spec of the bike. At a later date you can upgrade to hydrualic discs. After all you might find that with the type of riding you do V's are powerfull enough.

For cheap disc brakes have a look at Quad. A guy I ride with some times rates them highly, even for DH. IIRC you can get them for £80 a pair...well I can. :p

Back
Top Bottom