Looking to get gaming PC £1.4k

Associate
Hi all

I'm looking to purchase a PC build which will need to cope with Unreal Engine development and Blender, probably fairly high spec but not for the absolute best AAA game experience.

I think I'm looking for i7, SSD, high end graphics card, not sure what else. Have about £1.4k max to spend.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

That's a bit of a sparse comment to make watch out the Intel crew will av you!

Surely even they have some common sense when it comes to Ryzen vs Intel in multithreaded workloads amirite

Permabanned
Hi all

I'm looking to purchase a PC build which will need to cope with Unreal Engine development and Blender, probably fairly high spec but not for the absolute best AAA game experience.

I think I'm looking for i7, SSD, high end graphics card, not sure what else. Have about £1.4k max to spend.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Today, the Radeon RX 5600 XT appeared and it looks like a cheaper version of RX 5700, with slightly higher performance in several instances https://www.anandtech.com/show/15422/the-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-review/15

I would take this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,346.18 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Associate
Or consider paying a little more for a 1TB M.2 PCI 3 NVME like

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £133.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Unlikely you'll see a performance difference.​
I think that you need at least 1tb as 500gb will fill up fast with windows and a few games. You also need space for your blender files. that corsair mp510 is a great value drive for its high performance (personally I have two of the 2tb ones).

Associate
that looks good. That cpu will be awesome and chew through blender tasks and should last you many years. I am glad to see a good psu as they are usually the first things to die.

Associate
Hi all

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
do you already have a monitor? definitely go for a 3rd gen ryzen over an i7

Associate
The gpu is important though if doing gpu rendering with blender. Not sure how well a 5600XT will do for that.
I am unfamiliar with blender. My daughter (makes youtubes vids and in a 2nd yr computer games modelling and animation degree) uses a ryzen 7 1700 32gb ram2400 and a vega 56 just fine for adbode premier pro and adobe substance painter ,unreal engine, and handbrake etc. Occasionally there are graphics software that tend to have specific apps for the NVidia cards (but if they do then there is often an option for Open GL - if you have an AMD graphics card then choose the open GL option).

personally I would think that a radeon 5600XT will work just fine.

A ryzen 3900x will breeze through render tasks - see this article I am reading for the very high end cpus and the 3900x is right at the top of the tables

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/intel-core-i9-10900x-review/1/

Soldato
I am unfamiliar with blender. My daughter (makes youtubes vids and in a 2nd yr computer games modelling and animation degree) uses a ryzen 7 1700 32gb ram2400 and a vega 56 just fine for adbode premier pro and adobe substance painter ,unreal engine, and handbrake etc. Occasionally there are graphics software that tend to have specific apps for the NVidia cards (but if they do then there is often an option for Open GL - if you have an AMD graphics card then choose the open GL option).

personally I would think that a radeon 5600XT will work just fine.

A ryzen 3900x will breeze through render tasks - see this article I am reading for the very high end cpus and the 3900x is right at the top of the tables

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/intel-core-i9-10900x-review/1/

I am not that familiar with it myself either, but the article below seems to suggest that gpu rendering can be a lot quicker. Seems that Nvidia is the way to go with the gpu.

https://techgage.com/article/blender-2-80-viewport-rendering-performance/

Of course it depends on what sort of things he is doing, but the above is a good guide.

Associate
I am not that familiar with it myself either, but the article below seems to suggest that gpu rendering can be a lot quicker. Seems that Nvidia is the way to go with the gpu.

https://techgage.com/article/blender-2-80-viewport-rendering-performance/

Of course it depends on what sort of things he is doing, but the above is a good guide.

yes from this article NVidia graphics card is the way to go for blender (and I think adobe premier pro and substance painter etc as long as you make sure that gpu render CUDA is turned on). for about the cost of a radeon 5600XT (which is about £250-300) you can get a RTX2060 (or force yourself to spend another £50 to get a RTX2060 super).

Associate
For games I tend to think that the Radeons offer better value. However that article above does seem to suugest that NVidia cards offer lower rending times when doing GPU rendering (or combined cpu and gpu rendering). I looked at this before for my daughter a few years ago (when she was making youtube videos with adobe premier pro etc) - despite me saying that it appears NVidia cards may be faster my daughter currently uses a vega 56 as rendering is only a proportion of her computers usage (she plays more games than doing her uni work! computer games modelling and animation degree).

I attach blenders system requirements that doesn't seem to favour NVidia over radeon https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/

I also attach adobe premier pro's system requirements which also doesn't seem to favour NVidia over radeon https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

As you can use either graphics card then I tend to think that you can get a more powerful radeon card (overall but not necessarily more powerful in blender) for the same money. With some of this software it depends on how the software is configured (ie. cpu or gpu or cpu + gpu rendering) and I seem to remembering looking something up for a similar software to blender a while ago that worked better if you installed a CUDA app for NVidia cards (but if you hadn't installed that app then NVidia cards wouldn't be much better).

If rendering will be the primary workload for our computer then perhaps you should be looking at £350 for a graphics card (for this price you could get a NVidia 2060 super or a radeon 5700 or even a 5700xt). Generally for gaming a mid to high res (1440 or 4k) the 5700xt would be superior to the 2060 super but that review above shows the 2060super to be better in blender.

having a fixed budget somethings got to give - if you get the beast of a cpu the 3900x then you get a lesser gpu. if you get a better gpu like the 2060 super then perhaps you will have to settle for a 3700x (which will still be very good). one consideration that would bother me is the upgradeability - it is easier to swap out graphics cards than the cpus (and as microsoft windows links the licence to the motherboard and cpu much more strictly nowadays [in August I tried to transfer a ssd with windows on it to a new mobo & cpu it noticed and forced me to get a new licence and similarly on another pc]. Overall though for blender a slightly lesser cpu or gpu will only cause you to wait a few more seconds probably. A few years ago my daughter was making youtube videos and transcoding using handbrake (after creating in adobe premier pro) to make sure that the video and audio were aligned all the way through at 1080 to being 30fps and it took 30minutes to many hours using a quad core phenom - nowadays using a ryzen 1700 it breezes through (and a 3rd gen ryzen would be much more powerful - roughly double).

Back
Top Bottom