• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to upgrade a GTX 780 Ti (water) - what is best?

Associate
Hi guys,

Just been paid and have here a trusty 780 Ti that I have had since launch. I won't be selling it as I'll simply move it over to my second rig.

I've been looking at getting the MSI Sea Hawk 1080 Ti but £800 is a lot of money.

I want something that will last 4 years of gaming but ideally not break the bank. No doubt this has been asked a million times but what would be recommended in my specific situation in terms of best bang for buck?

It looks like the 1060 is barely any better than my 780 Ti?!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tom

Associate
Hi guys,

Just been paid and have here a trusty 780 Ti that I have had since launch. I won't be selling it as I'll simply move it over to my second rig.

I've been looking at getting the MSI Sea Hawk 1080 Ti but £800 is a lot of money.

I want something that will last 4 years of gaming but ideally not break the bank. No doubt this has been asked a million times but what would be recommended in my specific situation in terms of best bang for buck?

It looks like the 1060 is barely any better than my 780 Ti?!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tom

At what resolution and frame rate do you want to game at?

Soldato
1080. If your at 1440p.

Makes even more sense if you have a Gsync panel.

---

Oops! Just read you want to game at 4k!

Not gonna happen mate at a constant 60fps even with a 1080ti but it's the closest your get.

Caporegime
For 4 years plus I'd say suck it up and get the Ti if you can, anything else just won't last the timeframe imo.

Either that or make your 780Ti last another 6 months or so til Volta is released...

Soldato
1080/1080Ti if you can stomach it.

A 980Ti is twice as powerful as a 780Ti and a 1080Ti isn't that far off twice a 980Ti (70% ish). To give you an idea. The 1080/1080Ti are very capable cards at 4k.

Permabanned
For 4 years plus I'd say suck it up and get the Ti if you can, anything else just won't last the timeframe imo.

Either that or make your 780Ti last another 6 months or so til Volta is released...

This makes the most sense, ^^

If I was using DSR for the 4k resolution I'd tweak the res and settings and hold out for Volta, especially if you're going for a card to last, A 1080ti is capable of *managing 4k and if it was 6 months ago when the Ti released that'd of been the time to grab one but by now waiting instead you'll have the opportunity to pay less for a 4k capable card or buy a true 4k capable card in the Volta Titan or 1180ti.

*note the use of managing for the Ti.

Associate
OP
Guys, thank you all for your thoughtful replies (especially you Conan!).

The issue I have is that I also run a second rig in my recording studio that will also need an upgrade soon as it is only on a gtx 670 currently. I tend to just hand me down my last card so this rig will receive my current 780 ti.

It sounds like waiting until Volta however is the best option. Guess i'll buy a new microphone instead in the mean time! ;)

Associate
Instead of paying £800 now and making it last for 4 years, why not pay £250 and get a 980ti and keep it for 2 years before repeating? You'll then also have a much healthier supply of cards for your other rigs! Before getting my 1080ti I was happily running at 4k with a 980ti. All it took was some settings tweaking to get a steady 60fps in the vast majority of games.

Soldato
Last 4 years and not break the bank? The only real option you have right now is the 1080Ti with a decent warranty length.

It is an expensive card but not Titan aka "should have been the Ti but we will milk it" expensive.

Other than that I would say the Vega 56 and bios swap and overclock.

Back
Top Bottom