Looking to Upgrade

Associate
I was looking upgrade a few years back now but due to some life issues that had to be put on hold, the system I had in mind back then was i7 9700k with a Gigabyte Z390.

Current system is
i5 3750k (or 3570 I can never remember the 2 middle ones lol)
8GB Ram
1080GTX

Now I know I got no chance in hell STILL at a 3080 let alone one that is anywhere near to what it is supposed to cost (considering 3070's are now more expensive than 3080's were supposed to be) but am looking to upgrade PC overall.

Without starting a vs war

CPU Intel (Not sure if should wait for newer processor or go with Comet/Rocket) Was looking at 10/11600k
Motherboard (Minimum 6 SATA ports preferably on same controller, I read before some M.2 slots use up SATA ports but not sure if that is still a thing)
Memory (Not sure if I should go with 16 or 32 or even what speed, mainly gaming with some video/picture editing)
PSU (I was going to pick up a Corsair HXi again but cant seem to find them on site anymore)

I am still undecided on a case and debating whether or not to have an AIO cooler as I have not used one before and concerned about leakages.

Budget for CPU, Motherboard, Memory and cooler 1-1.2k max to leave a few hundred for case and psu.

Was waiting to do a complete build which included gpu for ~£2,000 but 3080's probably going to cost more than that budget by itself if things carry on like they are.

Edit
Only thing that will be reused from old system is GPU but rest I want to keep intact and put my 670 back into.

I am not really comfortable with tweaking to min max overclocks if that helps narrow anything down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
For future games forget relying on SATA as main storage, or forget fast loading times.
DirectStorage will support only PCIe connected drives.
Though in well made games NVMe is faster without that:
https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-us70-1tb-review/11/

Also for longer time future proofness you'll want 8 core CPU.
Consoles have 7 cores dedicated exclusively for running the game making eventual base line for game development.
Also especially video editing can hog cores.
Intel doesn't even have upgrade path there, while AMD boards go up to 16 cores.

Man, gpu's are up to 1200 now, this is getting out of hand.
Don't you mean out of hand and leg?
Because arm and leg aren't enough for the cost.

Associate
OP
As mentioned I was going to carry over teh 1080gtx til things cool down if they ever do or it breaks, its mainly just CPU, Motherboard and Memory I want to get narrowed down.

Do M.2 drives still disable SATA slots?

Man of Honour
As mentioned I was going to carry over teh 1080gtx til things cool down if they ever do or it breaks, its mainly just CPU, Motherboard and Memory I want to get narrowed down.

Do M.2 drives still disable SATA slots?
Some boards do depending on how the pcie lanes are divided you will have to take a look at the motherboard manual. Download it.

The crucial memory is excellent with c16 timings

Associate
OP
I dont know how they get away with adding on £300 just for different cooler compared to the FE cards, FE out of stock but rest that show same speed are 300+ extra for what looks like just different cooler.

This as been going on since release can't they ramp up production on the parts or something, I mean even the latest gen consoles are still mostly oos everywhere, the next consoles will be out and current ones will still be oos everywhere lol

Soldato
I dont know how they get away with adding on £300 just for different cooler compared to the FE cards, FE out of stock but rest that show same speed are 300+ extra for what looks like just different cooler.

This as been going on since release can't they ramp up production on the parts or something, I mean even the latest gen consoles are still mostly oos everywhere, the next consoles will be out and current ones will still be oos everywhere lol
The FE cards must be making money aswell since Nvidia is not going to sell them at a loss and that just further shows how much AIBs are ripping us off while the distributors and retailers are making sure they get their piece of the pie also.

Associate

you have joined telegram and subscribed to 'FE PartAlert'?...when distributor gets stock, it's posted there. 3060ti to 3080 sell out in minutes, 3080ti and 3090 a bit longer. If you look on nvidia website you'll never get one
And yes, they're all reporting record profits too

Associate
OP
you have joined telegram and subscribed to 'FE PartAlert'?...when distributor gets stock, it's posted there. 3060ti to 3080 sell out in minutes, 3080ti and 3090 a bit longer. If you look on nvidia website you'll never get one
And yes, they're all reporting record profits too
I know I wont get FE from nvidia website I was just interested in the price difference between them since nobody else seems to sell the FE cards. Id love to go into detail what id like done with miners and scalpers though.

Cannot say that I have heard of those things you mentioned but if they are selling out in minutes it doesn't sound like I have much chance there either as I cannot look straight away at any alerts most of the time.

Id love someone to just absolutely crash the whole online currency gig and make it all worthless.

Associate
Nvidia use S**n to sell their FE cards... Just set up the alert and turn your phone alerts to loud.. You'll get a ping when they drop.. Literally since i got my 3080 in jun, i could have picked up any of the others... 1 per person per household(last bit i found out when my son decidex he wanted a gaming pc and managed to get a 3060ti while at Harry Potter tour... Used wifes details but declined as we live together)... I dobt realky use Telegram for anything else so got used to ping now and just click link.. Does show all droos in Europe, but generally follows when you get a big euro drop, a uk one happens in next day or so.
Worth a try.. You might get one

Associate
OP
Want to secure a gpu first, what are the odds they would come back under £1,000 by end of year or will they just keep going up.

Going to try and keep checking for the 3080 FE to put the extra £300-500 (what 3rd parties want for basically custom fan) but want to finally upgrade before end of year.

Associate
Want to secure a gpu first, what are the odds they would come back under £1,000 by end of year or will they just keep going up.

Going to try and keep checking for the 3080 FE to put the extra £300-500 (what 3rd parties want for basically custom fan) but want to finally upgrade before end of year.
drop just happenned

Associate
OP
Now that 12th gen has been out a little while I have been having a fiddle, still torn between my fear of AIO leaking as to whether I want to go with AIO or not but added the previously recommended one in and this case has the 3.5 hard drive space I need, any foreseeable issues with this setup?

I am torn between the Define 7 case and this one as well but the Hard drive bays looked a bit fiddly on that one but I need 4 mechanical drive bays.

Cases I was looking as was the
Fractal Design Define 7
MSI MPG Sekira

I have been reading about coolers not supplied with mounting bits needed currently for the new boards, how big of a problem is this?

Still not managed a gpu yet but that was always a long shot for FE one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,253.89 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Alway 011d XL..on offer, and has 4 bay 3.5" hot swappable caddy

Total: £164.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)
spotted that as well, looks really nice and the fact that they slot in and out of a dock so to speak is really handy but was concerned about how hot they may get, does the rest of the system look ok?

Edit
Looks like it might come down to the MSI case, think relocating the tray for extra drives would prevent me from 3080 (assuming I could get one) as they are 285, manual for fractal says 280 (up to 315 possible) so im assuming the 315 is without the extra drives.

Edit 2

silent base 802 with extra tray, boom, nice and spacious.

As long as there are no issues with the rest of the components compatibility wise I think I got my system.

Last edited:
Associate
You're up early;). The silent base can only take 3 3.5" hhd by the look. The o11d xl cady is behind the motherboard in 2nd compartment.

regarding heat, this was from another thread below when someone else asked same question....

Having had both, I can't see there being any issue. That being said, I switched to M.2 when I moved to the O11D XL but the drive arrangements are similar with HDD support being behind the motherboard.

level 1
lhdrive

·1y

Mounted in the same caddy (2nd caddy removed for control device mounting) current model Seagate IronWolf 3TB and a Seagate basic 4TB are operating at 43 and 44 degrees Celsius respectively with ambient at 25.7.

Having come from a case with greater spacing per drive and a dedicated cooling fans yes the drives ran cooler however mid forties is more than acceptable.

don't see anything wrong with your build. Shame the wd prices jumped back up...the z690 tomahawk is £30 cheaper, or the asus tuf gaming z690 plus gaming d4 is £279 but you get a £60 rebate when buying a 12600k(Asus promotion website on how to claim)

Below 2 other drives to consider..the SN570 is the replacement to the SN550 for £10 extra
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9984/western-digital-1tb-wd-blue-sn570-ssd/index.html
the final thoughts below....
As we see it, the Western Digital WD Blue SN570 1TB DRAMless SSD is right in there, with Samsung's 980 as being the best value proposition currently available. The 980 proves to be better at tasks when there is a good amount of writing in play. The SN570 can serve data to the host faster than the 980 and is far better at gaming. Keep in mind that consumers read data frequently and write data infrequently.

or the crucial P5 which is reduced from £160 or so at mo

Total: £208.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Back
Top Bottom