Loot boxes FINALLY being investigated by UK Government

Soldato
It is even more of a problem when PREMIUM games utilise the freemium business model, it just feels like a giant scam and for the most part, has almost ruined gaming with a generation accepting it as the "norm" sadly.

And that is the biggest issue for me. Where you used to buy a game and play it, has been changed to buy a game and then buy more stuff for that game... A whole generation are growing up thinking that is how gaming works.
As for "surprise mechanics" as EA put it, that is gambling... and yet the games are PEGI rated for young children... When the house come tumbling down because of all this, EA and the rest will bemoan their lost revenue and blame gamers for not being responsible....

Soldato
Panini wasn't making constant money. They printed the stickers and books, then it was up to people to bargain trade with each other. There is no trade function in these games from what I know. Also Panini was only a step up from stamp collecting. Lets not forget most kids in that era wasn't collecting Panini or playing on video/computer games. I think Panini are still going today.

Apart from the aspect of children being lured in to gambling by both gaming addiction and peer pressure, these games aren't designed well either. They literally make their game like a grinding hell and pop-ups appear advertising boosts, weapons etc.

Children aren't mature enough to make a decision on the value of whether its worth gambling. Also add in the peer pressure element. The fact that there is peer pressure on skins tells the story. The peer pressure should be on how well they play the game.

Soldato
OP
Also add in the peer pressure element. The fact that there is peer pressure on skins tells the story. The peer pressure should be on how well they play the game.

Playing as a "Default" skin nowadays is the equivalent of turning upto school in a pair of Sunday market trainers. Players are judged by their "Skin". That is such a fail in more ways than one.

Associate
I wonder if this will affect mobile gacha games as well.
I hope so, though I suspect the solution may be to age gate games with loot boxes etc, which will hopefully encourage the big PC and console publishers to get rid of them. Where as I suspect, unless google and apple step in, mobile devs will probably just stick a warning/age rating on the front and carry on as normal :(

Permabanned
Random loot boxes/packs, not a fan of, even though I waste a few hundred quid on Fifa each year. However stuff like Fortnite does it reasonably well in that you know what you are paying for so I get my boy a few VBucks every now and again to buy his skins/battle pass.

Caporegime
I hope so, though I suspect the solution may be to age gate games with loot boxes etc, which will hopefully encourage the big PC and console publishers to get rid of them. Where as I suspect, unless google and apple step in, mobile devs will probably just stick a warning/age rating on the front and carry on as normal :(

If I have to use a VPN to keep playing Langrisser Mobile I will be annoyed :p

Soldato
I grew up in an age where skins and 'dlc' were fan made and for the most part always free. **** this carp that goes on now. I actively avoid games that go heavy on it.

Also, the Panini sticker comparison - Panini have to design, print, distribute and market those products with the risk of losing out if the products don't sell, what are EAs outlay to risk ratio on FIFA Ultimate Team packs?

Associate
Great, I hope they're made illegal here and other countries follow suit.

While freemium games allow you do play without them the grind is insane and not very rewarding at all..................................

Soldato
Also, the Panini sticker comparison

My take with that as a young one, was id get 20p from my mum when we got dragged around the shops on Saturday. The point being it was a once a week thing, controlled, limited, and a very grounded thing.

Nowadays it's hardly that when as I said earlier, there's your favourite youtuber or steamer holding an unboxing ceremony encouraging you to do it more and often 7 days a week.

Associate

V F

V F

Soldato
What is worse when I was driving into town last week seeing an 8 - 10 year old girl doing the Fortnite emote dances as she was crossing the road. It was a real face palm moment.

Associate
What is worse when I was driving into town last week seeing an 8 - 10 year old girl doing the Fortnite emote dances as she was crossing the road. It was a real face palm moment.

Lol, some kid did what I can only presume was an emote dance at me last week, no doubt from fortnite

Back
Top Bottom