1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lose the DVD / Blu Ray Burner?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by jiw2033, May 13, 2017.

1. jiw2033

Associate

So i'm putting a new rig together and for the first time i find i don't really need a DVD burner. I think the last time i used it was to install Windows. Which i can now do with a memory stick.

Obviously being a new rig i want it all singing and dancing. Do you folks have any legitimate reasons for actually keeping the optical drive? The only thing i can imagine is to watch films. But with Amazon, Netflix, and iPlayer there hardly seems reason.

2. Doogles

Mobster

I keep one just because I already have it along with the bay and a door to cover it, when I change case/build I will probably just get a USB Blu-Ray player and leave it at that.

3. mattyfez

Sgarrista

I've got one in my case as u didn't bother removing it when I rebuilt. But I don't think I've actually used it for a year or two.

Handy to install a game if it's on disk I suppose, but digital downloads seem to have taken over anyway.

4. Buffalo2102

Gangster

Ditched mine a couple of years ago. As Doogles suggests, I keep a USB drive in the drawer just in case.

5. Robzere31

Mobster

Got rid of mine about a year ago.
    In the three years it was installed it got used twice.

USB stick does what I need when I have to install anything external.

6. Ninco!

Gangster

Is it me or are the prices of external or portable Blu-ray players are a bit rich?

I purchased a Samsung a few years ago and it was probably around £20(ish). I tend to buy Blu-rays and make back-ups/watch on my PC.

The OCD in me wants to replace my Samsung drive, as it's white and sticks out like a sore thumb with my current setup; but the prices. :o

7. DeanT77

Hitman

The only thing I use mine for, recently, has been ripping old CDs to mp3.

My next build I wont be going internal, just get a usb one like the guys above say.

8. D3K

Wise Guy

Last time I had a rig with an optical drive was in 2006. Bin it.

9. Schizo

Don

I have a usb one which cost me £8,only use it once in a while but always handy to have in the draw.

10. MrDavies

Associate

Is there anything to look for when purchasing an external one? All I need it for is to rip CDs to MP3 and possibly install the occasional old game from DVD.

11. XRoyalT

Associate

People still use these?

12. Glanza

Soldato

Some bespoke software packages still only come on CD.

Not had one in my PC for over 5 years now, never needed one in that time.

13. billyboyd

Wise Guy

Not had a DVD burner for a couple of years now and the price of disks for Blu-ray put me right off that format.

I just use flash drives and external hard drives for the bigger stuff.

14. Praetorian

Gangster

I've still got optical in my rig (2 in fact, both Blu-Ray writers). Only keep them as I archive off to BDR and also reading stuff back from them. Installed the 2nd (Pioneer) as the first (LG) was starting to play up, but that's going to change with the impending case rebuild.

Guess I'm just oldskool and like to have an BDR around :)