Losing control of high powered cars

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
it all goes horribly wrong under circumstances where you think, how does that even occur with the various electronic aids?

He had the Lambo in launch control mode, you can hear the revs hold before it takes off, so presumably in that mode traction control is also turned off and the computer manages everything else.

But more to the topic, it's a simple case of all the gear no idea. Drive for the conditions, but not everyone thinks twice about driving tastefully, and with many cars pushing 300HP+ and easily reaching the hands of the young and incapable, it just ends in disaster.

Caporegime
I have never been interested in bikes but a lot of my family are bike mad. (Niece binned her blackbird and spent 6 months in hospital so that put me off) Don't they have a two year limit before you can drive high horse power stuff? Maybe they should have a test to drive really powerful cars. I guess cars are a lot safer these days as well so people do not learn car control like they used too in say Cortina's and Sierra's.

Soldato
They probably should make it more similar to bikes.

With a bike you need to be 21 and have had a license for at least 2 years before you can get something dangerous. Yet you can jump in to a RWD sports car at 17 if you want (assuming you can get insurance for it).

Last edited:
Caporegime
He had the Lambo in launch control mode, you can hear the revs hold before it takes off, so presumably in that mode traction control is also turned off and the computer manages everything else.

But more to the topic, it's a simple case of all the gear no idea. Drive for the conditions, but not everyone thinks twice about driving tastefully, and with many cars pushing 300HP+ and easily reaching the hands of the young and incapable, it just ends in disaster.

Historically your average Joe will work his way up the ladder going from car to car before he gets into something nice in his 30s/40s. Now you have savvy kids getting rich quickly on bitcoin/Youtube or leasing while living with parents. Missing out completely on that learning curve.

Soldato
Historically your average Joe will work his way up the ladder going from car to car before he gets into something nice in his 30s/40s. Now you have savvy kids getting rich quickly on bitcoin/Youtube or leasing while living with parents. Missing out completely on that learning curve.
Tbh cars are so cheap nowadays, I'm only 33, but learning to drive I had a 55 HP punto thathat was my mums. Now, there's a kid I work with who leases a 200hp polo gti for 200 a month, that sort of thing didn't exist 15 years ago. Turboed cars used to just be a top of the range thing, not like now where it's rare to find a car that doesn't have a turbo.

Soldato
The Golf is quite safe HP though, you'll only get lots of understeer. There were a few RWD "hot hatches" in the 80s and they were pretty lively.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now you can lease something quick for a few hundred quid a month, mostly these people just want to look cool though.

Back
Top Bottom