Lost my love of gaming :(

Permabanned
Maybe, but if you consider all the mobile games available and things like Minecraft or Roblox it’s amazing how big some of these games are despite the graphics being so basic. If you’d asked me when I was young what I expected games to be like in 20 years I’d have guessed everything would be so graphically amazing and it just hasn’t happened there’s a good mix of both.

Games can be graphically amazing , consoles like the PS5 are making these games like Spiderman etc...Maybe PC need more like when Crysis first arrived on PC

Soldato
I'm mostly done with games these days. I'm definitely through with the PC side of things, at least for now given the ridiculous prices of GPUs etc, but even consoles are a bit of a struggle for me now. I've got both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X but I just find I can't be bothered to play on them. I don't get a lot of time for gaming but even on the occasion I do, I just can't be bothered. I actually got a copy of Far Cry 6 a few days early, a game I was really looking forward to playing, but it was over 2 weeks before I actually even played it. Such a waste of getting it early :)

That said, my mood/attitude has changed a bit with Forza Horizon 5 to play. I've managed to put in 3 hours or so on that which for me is pretty damn good. I don't think there's anything else coming up that I'm particularly bothered about though.

Soldato
OP
May have found a way back...

Back around 2005 sort of era, I always used to look at the Rock laptops in the PC mags, desperate to own one but could never warrant the then £2k+.

Picked one up the other day in need of a little love, and now have it running perfectly. Using it for some old RTS games, and loving it!! :p:p

Soldato
Struggling big time at the moment. Just cant get into anything. I do think Gamepass is at least a little bit at fault as it feels like the games are free so I'm not appreciating them perhaps as much as I may if I had bought it but the last 6 months or so only Forza Horizon 5 has held my interest for longer than anything else. I'm level 90 something, done most of the races, can't crack two of the long ones, don't really understand the seasonal stuff, cant figure out how to just jump in a race with my mate online. Game feels like FH4 2.
I did play right through Titanfall2 which I thought was great. Aliens Fireteam and Insurgency were good to start with but limited in their scope. Tried RB6 extraction last night, quit during the training level trying to mark those nests but they kept seeing me :rolleyes:. Dull. Tried Halo Infinite, got part way through that spaceship thing on the first level and never went back to it. Back 4 Blood ok but hard to get in with decent / human players. Bots are so dumb. Tried a lot of the Indy games mentioned on here, not for me although Super Hot Mind Control was great but over in 10 minutes. Keep looking at RDR2 which I am part way through but have no desire to compete it.
I like the look of Dying Light 2 but seems a bit of a buggy mess and stealth games have never been my thing, having said that set the xbox to download Hitman tirlogy last night so see how long I last with that. 10 minutes probably :D

Soldato
I’ve found that not allowing myself to chop and change between too many games is helping. I’ve been limiting myself to one main console game from the backlog when at home, and one gameboy game for a bit before bed. I’ll not start another game until I’m finished the last.
I refuse to touch any live service games now, as it just seems like a slog. Daily requirements almost, wasting time playing the same old crap when I could be playing something new.

I can’t face the Steam backlog at the moment. The problem of having too much choice means I just never know how to make a start on it.

Associate
I can’t face the Steam backlog at the moment. The problem of having too much choice means I just never know how to make a start on it.

Indeed.
I remember back in the 80's and early 90's I had to make do with 1 game for months due to the cost. I had no choice but to play it, and the more I played it, the more I got into it.
Now, with unlimited choice, I have no motivation, and often find myself sitting looking at the list of games I have either through Steam, or just physical copies, and then decide I don't want to play anything

Soldato
Struggling big time at the moment. Just cant get into anything. I do think Gamepass is at least a little bit at fault as it feels like the games are free so I'm not appreciating them perhaps as much as I may if I had bought it but the last 6 months or so only Forza Horizon 5 has held my interest for longer than anything else. I'm level 90 something, done most of the races, can't crack two of the long ones, don't really understand the seasonal stuff, cant figure out how to just jump in a race with my mate online. Game feels like FH4 2.
I did play right through Titanfall2 which I thought was great. Aliens Fireteam and Insurgency were good to start with but limited in their scope. Tried RB6 extraction last night, quit during the training level trying to mark those nests but they kept seeing me :rolleyes:. Dull. Tried Halo Infinite, got part way through that spaceship thing on the first level and never went back to it. Back 4 Blood ok but hard to get in with decent / human players. Bots are so dumb. Tried a lot of the Indy games mentioned on here, not for me although Super Hot Mind Control was great but over in 10 minutes. Keep looking at RDR2 which I am part way through but have no desire to compete it.
I like the look of Dying Light 2 but seems a bit of a buggy mess and stealth games have never been my thing, having said that set the xbox to download Hitman tirlogy last night so see how long I last with that. 10 minutes probably :D

I'm the same:D, I barely ever finish anything, unless the story holds my attention, but most games don't have a story either.

I have hitman 3 trilogy from gamepass installed as well, I was enjoying it (hitman 1) but I was getting lots of server disconnection messages, need to go back to it see if its been fixed.
Other than that I play MSFS2020 which I really enjoy.

I'm also looking forward to getting back into cp2077 when the next gen patch releases in the next month or so hopefully.

I think a lot of the problems is so many games release in a dreadful state, why should we put effort into these games when the devs don't.

And as said having lots of choice and backlog of games does not help, although a good thing, it really makes me struggle as well on what to play.
But saying that Im going to set my sights on trying hitman again at the weekend and concentrate on that.

Soldato
I have been through this. I have no where near the same love of gaming as I did 10/15 years ago, I seem to love the idea of gaming more than the actual gaming a lot of the time. Buying new consoles/games just for them to gather dust.

What I have been doing recently is just picking up games where I think the story will interest me and putting it on easy. I kind of treat it like an interactive movie and it's allowed me to experience some crackers.

Alan Wake, Control and Death Stranding most recently.

I do often have to actually force myself to turn on the console and play but once I do I enjoy it.

I think work/kids/real life changing caused the biggest effect as far as my gaming is concerned.

Associate
Re the past few posts, i find the choice is what stops me buying anything. I just feel i have no confidence in buying any game i like the look of because i know it'll be a let down. When i was younger i just smashed through most games.

Though since moving house i've looked at some old PS1 games, and going to try them out.

Also funnily enough, Sony has exclusives that i really want to play. But PS4 consoles are still so expensive.

Soldato
I think a lot of the problems is so many games release in a dreadful state, why should we put effort into these games when the devs don't.

Spot on. Interesting just browsing this forum and seeing the absolute let down from some recent big release titles on the first page alone:
  • BF2042
  • Cyberpunk
  • Dying Light
  • Halo Infinite
Meanwhile everyone is complaining about the newest Fifa as usual, but still playing it and COD has fallen off the first page.

Soldato
It'll pass eventually. I found repetitive multiplayer games killed it for me, or perhaps I grew out of them? Unsure.

Ultimately I got back into things to give The Last of Us 2 a go, and now I'm devouring narrative driven games like there's no tomorrow.

My lull lasted a few years mind.

Soldato
Really struggling with GP at the moment. I have recently had a Netflix epiphany and cancelled it after blindly paying for it for years and have decided to do the same with GP. Picked up Guardians of the Galaxy again last night after a few weeks away from the Xbox. Turned it off after 5 minutes. Loved playing through the Hitman Trilogy, went back to them to try and replay the levels in a different way but ended up finding myself mostly in the same places doing the same things :D

Going back to RDR2 and try and knock that over then might just get the last couple of COD's from eBay and blast through the campaigns as I am in the minority of people who actually likes them! Absolutely nothing else on the horizon I like the look of. Will sit tight and wait for Hitman 4 or Division 3. Whichever comes sooner, if ever!

Caporegime
I feel fed up. Can't seem to get into anything at the moment. The new games on PS+ have not gripped me at all. I had a decent crack at Returnal but the others I've tried - Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man, God of War, Death Stranding all seem really boring. Maybe it's just the wrong time of year with these light nights and so much more entertainment on Twitch and sports channels at the moment.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I feel fed up. Can't seem to get into anything at the moment. The new games on PS+ have not gripped me at all. I had a decent crack at Returnal but the others I've tried - Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man, God of War, Death Stranding all seem really boring. Maybe it's just the wrong time of year with these light nights and so much more entertainment on Twitch and sports channels at the moment.
I keep it simple these days. Halo Infinite multiplayer and that's it. I really struggle with single player story games as I'd rather just watch a good TV show or movie than play through a story.

Something about playing against real people that I find really enjoyable.

Soldato
It's funny, I've recently been watching playthroughs of old games such as Daggerfall.

One thing that is blatantly obvious to me is that the thought and work that goes into games these days doesnt seem to be on par with games from that past. Yes there is clearly a lot of work that goes into modern games but they are nowhere near as good as some of the stories and work from old.

They look great but are a bit shallow. That's an unfortunate way of modern gaming.

At least with a PC you can go back and replay these old games and in some cases modded to make the experience less janky but the storylines are still there.

As a whole I think this means games these days are just less enjoyable as a whole. Games were made by fans 30 years ago, now they are made to make money. Apart from some indy titles of course.

Caporegime
At least with a PC you can go back and replay these old games and in some cases modded to make the experience less janky but the storylines are still there.

I'm leaning more than ever towards consolidating on one platform now - PC - and foregoing both the consoles. I've got until October when PS+, Game Pass run out but I can see myself selling the consoles at that point.

Associate
I keep it simple these days. Halo Infinite multiplayer and that's it. I really struggle with single player story games as I'd rather just watch a good TV show or movie than play through a story.

Something about playing against real people that I find really enjoyable.

I went the opposite way. I found non co-op online hard work and stressful as i always ended up being competitive. However old Halo is an exception to this as messing about is something i never managed to find in other games.

Admittedly i haven't played a game in 6 months now. I do look forward to trying out a new GPU and my OLED that i've barely used in something atmospheric.

Back
Top Bottom