Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
I'm leaning more than ever towards consolidating on one platform now - PC - and foregoing both the consoles. I've got until October when PS+, Game Pass run out but I can see myself selling the consoles at that point.
If you don't specifically need the money then don't bother. The consoles always bring out a little gem now and again that is worth playing.

Maybe just take a break for a bit. What sort of genres were you into when you first started gaming? Is there something that's current that is similar that you could pickup?

I guess the sad fact is that people just growout/burnout/find other hobbies as they get older.

I guess I'm lucky, I'm still a keen gamer at 40

Soldato
One thing that is blatantly obvious to me is that the thought and work that goes into games these days doesnt seem to be on par with games from that past. Yes there is clearly a lot of work that goes into modern games but they are nowhere near as good as some of the stories and work from old.

They look great but are a bit shallow. That's an unfortunate way of modern gaming.

At least with a PC you can go back and replay these old games and in some cases modded to make the experience less janky but the storylines are still there.

As a whole I think this means games these days are just less enjoyable as a whole. Games were made by fans 30 years ago, now they are made to make money. Apart from some indy titles of course.
Spot on that I think. A lot of the modern games are clones of each other. Especially if you look at the Ubisoft games. Far cry, Ghost Recon, Division, AC - its basically just the same game with a different skin.

I have since cancelled Gamepass and live subscription. I have a series X but have resurrected and dusted off my PS4 that I only ever used for VR and GTA online. I bought Last of Us and Days Gone on Ebay for peanuts and looking forward to playing through them over winter.

Soldato
One thing that is blatantly obvious to me is that the thought and work that goes into games these days doesnt seem to be on par with games from that past. Yes there is clearly a lot of work that goes into modern games but they are nowhere near as good as some of the stories and work from old.

They look great but are a bit shallow. That's an unfortunate way of modern gaming.

I think it's the opposite problem. Games take so much work now, cost so much money to make, that an ongoing revenue structure/business model is decided and then they think of a game to work around the outside of it. They're big business, take years to make and publishers have to be risk adverse.

Honestly that's one of the bigger problems now - how long they take to make. Remember GTA 3, VC and SA over the period of 4 years? Same engine, but had fairly significant upgrades, and had 3 very unique world's.

But now games take 7 years or whatever to make. It's reasonable to expect one entry per generation, or perhaps a launch title and end of gen swansong, business-planned from the get go to be remastered 18 months later for the next next gen.

Games are slowly converging to the point of maximum appeal. Perhaps two points - 'the' multiplayer FPS live service game and 'the' open world stealth action RPG with crafting.

Soldato
I think it's the opposite problem. Games take so much work now, cost so much money to make, that an ongoing revenue structure/business model is decided and then they think of a game to work around the outside of it. They're big business, take years to make and publishers have to be risk adverse.

Honestly that's one of the bigger problems now - how long they take to make. Remember GTA 3, VC and SA over the period of 4 years? Same engine, but had fairly significant upgrades, and had 3 very unique world's.

But now games take 7 years or whatever to make. It's reasonable to expect one entry per generation, or perhaps a launch title and end of gen swansong, business-planned from the get go to be remastered 18 months later for the next next gen.

Games are slowly converging to the point of maximum appeal. Perhaps two points - 'the' multiplayer FPS live service game and 'the' open world stealth action RPG with crafting.
Or is it that they don't have the relevant amount of people to work on modern day game projects? Over worked, underpaid and under staffed developer studios trying to kick out something in record time

Soldato
I keep it simple these days. Halo Infinite multiplayer and that's it. I really struggle with single player story games as I'd rather just watch a good TV show or movie than play through a story.

Something about playing against real people that I find really enjoyable.

I’m playing mostly RDR2 (replay) and MSFS2020 on Xbox, I haven’t played any multiplayer games in ages, if bf2042 had been better I would have been playing that a lot, perhaps I should try bf5 again as thats still popular I think.
Could never get into Halo.

Soldato
Think I'm close to being done too. I don't think it's any better or worse these days, I've probably just aged out of it. It's not you, it's me type thing :p

It is quite sad as I'm in a position now where I have a dedicated media room with a C1 OLED 65' TV, PS5 and Series X, $10 000 sound system, cinema seats, popcorn machine and LED lighting ...... but just no love for gaming. What I would've given to have all this 15 years ago when I had an Xbox 360, a plastic chair and Oblivion on my 27' 1080i TV and thought I was in heaven.

Saying that, I did have a go at RDR2 on Sunday morning and I still enjoy the characters and story telling that R* comes up with.

I also played and finished TLOU Part 2 and will probably play again.

Games like Assassin's Creed I should in theory like, but I just don't. There's just no soul to it for me anymore. It's like a one night stand you know you'll probably regret but end up having a go at anyway.

For me I purchased the new consoles, knowing full well that I'll most likely only play about 5 games across both during its life cycle.

PS5 I bought for Naughty Dog and Rockstar and the remasters from the previous gen in 60fps.

Series X I bought for Starfield (that didn't exactly excite from what I've seen so far), and Hellblade.

At the moment both are serving as glorified UHD BluRay Players

Soldato
Forgot to mention about PC. My PC is packed away in the garage. Moved into a new house last year and not unpacked the PC yet. Just no point as I won't play anything. My days of being 'on the PC' for whatever reason is long over.

But I did play and love 'They Are Billions' Sunk hours into that game, well into my late 30s until I had the little one. Now, absolutely no chance.

Soldato
Think I'm close to being done too. I don't think it's any better or worse these days, I've probably just aged out of it. It's not you, it's me type thing :p

It is quite sad as I'm in a position now where I have a dedicated media room with a C1 OLED 65' TV, PS5 and Series X, $10 000 sound system, cinema seats, popcorn machine and LED lighting ...... but just no love for gaming. What I would've given to have all this 15 years ago when I had an Xbox 360, a plastic chair and Oblivion on my 27' 1080i TV and thought I was in heaven.

Saying that, I did have a go at RDR2 on Sunday morning and I still enjoy the characters and story telling that R* comes up with.

I also played and finished TLOU Part 2 and will probably play again.

Games like Assassin's Creed I should in theory like, but I just don't. There's just no soul to it for me anymore. It's like a one night stand you know you'll probably regret but end up having a go at anyway.

For me I purchased the new consoles, knowing full well that I'll most likely only play about 5 games across both during its life cycle.

PS5 I bought for Naughty Dog and Rockstar and the remasters from the previous gen in 60fps.

Series X I bought for Starfield (that didn't exactly excite from what I've seen so far), and Hellblade.

At the moment both are serving as glorified UHD BluRay Players
Money is wasted on the old in much the same way that youth is wasted on the young :)

Soldato
I'm defintely starting to feel that my love for gaming is diminishing. I don't think that it helps that I work and play on my PC so lines are blurred between the two.

I built my new PC this year but with the increasing price of decent monitors and PC parts, I wonder if I should have just bought a Series X and PS5 and I'd still have £800 left in the bank.

I'm tempted to get rid of the PC and just play consoles as it least it would allow me to seperate my work from my play which might be the cause.

Soldato
I have a little as well, I still play some games at weekend but with the hot weather and the summer being not so exciting for new releases, I prefer to do other things outside or watch a movie. Once it gets colder I'm sure I will be gaming a lot more when I have free time.

Soldato
I felt like giving up the last few weeks, 41 now and got into MTB with some mates, started playing Death Stranding and enjoying it. overall I may semi give up gaming and just play the odd game here and there wanna try get out more :S

Soldato
I'm in a bit of a lull at the moment where I am not super into any game, and I am only playing for a few hours a week. I put that down to a post elden ring hangover. I played elden ring incredibly intensely until I got the platinum on PlayStation. That was a month or so ago and I have been watching more tv/films for the last couple of months. I think it might also be the weather, when I come home from work I feel like chilling with a beer and can't be assed to play anything new.

I am confident that the love of gaming will come back though. I am a teacher and I will have 4 weeks or so this summer when I am not abroad, and I am sure I will really get into a few games. Definitely a privilege of the job!

Associate
I know it's got bad for myself, similar situation finding it hard to get into games for any length and then comes along power wash simulator on gamepass, terrible game, ocd inducing but ended up playing it until half one other morning, not sure if good or bad although Guinness seems to play a small part

Soldato
I get the Elden Ring hangover because it was so great. I’ve been playing Steep and Riders Republic as an antidote to that and I am loving them both especially Steep. Best game I’ve played since, well, Elden Ring.

The reason I mention those two games is because they are a joy to play. I see no reason to fall out of love with gaming you just have to try different things.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm defintely starting to feel that my love for gaming is diminishing. I don't think that it helps that I work and play on my PC so lines are blurred between the two.

I'm tempted to get rid of the PC and just play consoles as it least it would allow me to seperate my work from my play which might be the cause.
I think that's what's stopping me enjoying games so much at the moment. I tend to work all day in front of a computer so I often find the last thing I want to do is when I finish is spend my weekends and evenings in front of a PC!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think that's what's stopping me enjoying games so much at the moment. I tend to work all day in front of a computer so I often find the last thing I want to do is when I finish is spend my weekends and evenings in front of a PC!
This is one of the big reasons why I game on a console now. It makes a huge difference being in the living room on the recliner vs at the desk in my office.

Back
Top Bottom