• Yes V6 FE Manual - 5k paid

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes V6 FE Auto - 5k paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i4 DCT FE - 2k paid

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Still thinking about and NO deposit paid

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • 2k Deposit paid but making no decisions yet, holding out.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
A significant increase in convenience features brings a

multifunction steering wheel,
a 10-channel premium sound system from KEF,
four-way electrically adjustable seats as standard (12-way-adjustable sports seats are optional),
keyless ignition,
cruise control,
rain-sensing wipers,
electrically folding wing mirrors,
rear parking sensors, optional front parking sensors
automatically dimming rear-view mirror

OcUK Staff
I do have a few concerns as details begin to filter out, but nothing fundamental.

Historically 360bhp in a Lotus would be incredible but this is one heavy Lotus (a relative term) at 1,400kgs and 360bhp is sort of CSL level of performance, which these days is not seen as super quick. GT4 is 1495kgs according to Porsche but I know Harry's Garage video had the Boxster GTS with the 6 cylinder engine coming in at a barely credible 1280kgs.

For me this car at 450bhp to 500bhp would make it compelling or at 1200kgs in current form. Still, road tests will be interesting and I hope Louts have nailed it because I do have a soft spot for the brand as an Englishman and motorsport fan.

Some good points, 400HP and 1400kg should be rather potent, but not blistering quick, however we have no real details on gear ratios, short ratio's could make it rather quick, Porsche GT4 is a perfect example, amazing car let down by long gearing which nearly everyone complains about, a GT4 with more sensible gearing would feel a much more rapid car.

I went from a 3.60 ratio in the M3 to a 3.91 the transformation was huge, so gearing is important. That is why the 458 feels so rapid, it weighs around 1450-1500kg, 570HP and very short gearing makes it feel proper rapid without necessary going that fast.

So the Lotus will never have the acceleration of the 458, but if its around 4s to 60, sub 10s to 100 and feels alive that makes for an engaging car and we both know Lotus is more about feel and engagement rather than on paper numbers.

Looking forward to more details and some proper reviews.

Soldato
Just look at the current numbers on the Evora, assume the V6 will be 400+ horsepower and you'll get your 4-sec ish 0-60 I think. I know from experience that's more than enough to have fun on the road, and with the total power of the V6 they'll be good on track too, but you still may get beat off the traffic lights now and again (especially in a manual) and you won't be the fastest person at the track day, but I think you'll probably be the one having the most fun and engagement in both cases.

Soldato
I do have a few concerns as details begin to filter out, but nothing fundamental.

Historically 360bhp in a Lotus would be incredible but this is one heavy Lotus (a relative term) at 1,400kgs and 360bhp is sort of CSL level of performance, which these days is not seen as super quick. GT4 is 1495kgs according to Porsche but I know Harry's Garage video had the Boxster GTS with the 6 cylinder engine coming in at a barely credible 1280kgs.

For me this car at 450bhp to 500bhp would make it compelling or at 1200kgs in current form. Still, road tests will be interesting and I hope Louts have nailed it because I do have a soft spot for the brand as an Englishman and motorsport fan.

My thoughts exactly, just know that a quick one is coming. There will be an 'R' and then a GT4 once the racing program picks up, I suspect both of these will be in the 450-500 range with a carbon roof/decklid etc. like the current Cup models.

You can even see in this press picture, there's a 480hp model coming at some point!
XePZf94.jpg

Man of Honour
The good news is the foundations look magnificent and a great starting point. Power is easy to add, weight less easy to remove, but a GT4 and GT3 version would be interesting if they can get all the fundamentals right (steering feel, damping, braking, balance and driving position). Porsche has always focused on these bits and done them so well, Lotus on the first 4 to this point....1 more needed for me.

OcUK Staff
Deposit placed

Plenty of time to mull over the options. I'm not totally against the 2lt AMG version with the 8sp auto.

If anything the 2lt model stands the chance of been just as fast if not faster than the V6 as my guess the engine weighs less, because its smaller and the 8SP will have much shorter ratios than the 6SP options and we also know that engine hits 500HP relatively easily from a map and is safe/reliable.

But I'd just always take the slower car with better soundtrack.
Dealer rang me again, different sales guy as had not realised I'd already paid, he confirmed same as previous guy and also informed me that so far today they have taken 40 deposits for their dealership, so I suspect on day one the UK has easily taken 100+ deposits.

The car is at FOS this weekend and he said they expect a lot more interest next week and he also said I am welcome to come and take out their Exige manual anytime, but an automatic will be not so easy as they rarely have them in. So I am gonna take that opportunity as I know immediately if I love or hate a manual, so will give the Exige a try. :)

Just look at the current numbers on the Evora, assume the V6 will be 400+ horsepower and you'll get your 4-sec ish 0-60 I think. I know from experience that's more than enough to have fun on the road, and with the total power of the V6 they'll be good on track too, but you still may get beat off the traffic lights now and again (especially in a manual) and you won't be the fastest person at the track day, but I think you'll probably be the one having the most fun and engagement in both cases.

I love driving my S2000 above and beyond maybe all the other cars, just as long as its dry and sunny, yet its the slowest but at the same time it feels incredible only let down by not the best steering and the brakes could be better but the latter is easily fixed.

Soldato
If anything the 2lt model stands the chance of been just as fast if not faster than the V6 as my guess the engine weighs less, because its smaller and the 8SP will have much shorter ratios than the 6SP options and we also know that engine hits 500HP relatively easily from a map and is safe/reliable.

But I'd just always take the slower car with better soundtrack.
Dealer rang me again, different sales guy as had not realised I'd already paid, he confirmed same as previous guy and also informed me that so far today they have taken 40 deposits for their dealership, so I suspect on day one the UK has easily taken 100+ deposits.

The car is at FOS this weekend and he said they expect a lot more interest next week and he also said I am welcome to come and take out their Exige manual anytime, but an automatic will be not so easy as they rarely have them in. So I am gonna take that opportunity as I know immediately if I love or hate a manual, so will give the Exige a try. :)

I love driving my S2000 above and beyond maybe all the other cars, just as long as its dry and sunny, yet its the slowest but at the same time it feels incredible only let down by not the best steering and the brakes could be better but the latter is easily fixed.

My local dealer is Nottingham, but I placed my deposit online. Did I do the right thing?

OcUK Staff
My local dealer is Nottingham, but I placed my deposit online. Did I do the right thing?

My dealer told me to place deposit online, you then get an email with a reference number and my dealership wanted me to email them that reference number.

I believe this then gets you on both Lotus and dealership list, it also means your local dealership will invite you to come see their demo, potential test drives etc. etc. So I'd call your local dealership and inform them you placed the deposit online and ask if they want the reference number.

My dealership said they have a spreadsheet and confirmed I am on it and confirmed they had 40 down so far today.

Soldato
My dealer told me to place deposit online, you then get an email with a reference number and my dealership wanted me to email them that reference number.

I believe this then gets you on both Lotus and dealership list, it also means your local dealership will invite you to come see their demo, potential test drives etc. etc. So I'd call your local dealership and inform them you placed the deposit online and ask if they want the reference number.

My dealership said they have a spreadsheet and confirmed I am on it and confirmed they had 40 down so far today.

That's great, thanks Gibbo

Soldato
Nottingham Lotus called me. Lovely bloke. Said he's warn out today. Non stop taking Emira orders.

Loving the fact this is the first car to have an audio system designed by Kef. Watch the carfecton and carwow youtube videos. Very interesting!

OcUK Staff
Nottingham Lotus called me. Lovely bloke. Said he's warn out today. Non stop taking Emira orders.

Loving the fact this is the first car to have an audio system designed by Kef. Watch the carfecton and carwow youtube videos. Very interesting!

Does seem initial demand is very high, can see big demand next week after Goodwood and more so once reviews drop.

I only got my GR Yaris relatively fast as I changed my mind instead of waiting for the test drive I paid my deposit as the reviews landed, a week or so after the reviews the waiting times exploded to like one year plus. Same could happen here if demand is high and Lotus can only knock out 4k a year whereas I believe on the GR Yaris production was 25k a year potential worldwide and admittedly the GR has a far wider market apart from not been available in US.

Soldato
They need to re-open more dealerships :p

I think Silverstone might be the biggest (they are in a really good spot too, just a few doors down from Merc GP). There are a few "authorised" service places around but they don't normally take new car orders.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does seem initial demand is very high, can see big demand next week after Goodwood and more so once reviews drop.

I only got my GR Yaris relatively fast as I changed my mind instead of waiting for the test drive I paid my deposit as the reviews landed, a week or so after the reviews the waiting times exploded to like one year plus. Same could happen here if demand is high and Lotus can only knock out 4k a year whereas I believe on the GR Yaris production was 25k a year potential worldwide and admittedly the GR has a far wider market apart from not been available in US.

Well if you change your mind you might be able to sell your place in the queue and make a few quid.

Has the lotus configurator died?

OcUK Staff
Well if you change your mind you might be able to sell your place in the queue and make a few quid.

Has the lotus configurator died?

Shall see was my plan with GR as knew if I did not like it that selling it would be easy but it’s bloody brilliant so keeping it.

The Lotus configurator is rubbish made me laugh when their Facebook page said spend hours on our configurator yet it took me about two hours, I guess the hours must be waiting for it to load. :D

Associate
I want the V6, and the automatic it comes with is kind of old school, but lets not be too hasty because some old automatics with updated and tweaked software can actually be pretty impressive, my SVR had the ZF8 and though thats not old but for me the ZF8 is as good as any DCT in the SVR but has the advantages of be a torque converter. But if they have not tweaked it or can't tweak it well that automatic is not known for been that great, whereas a manual never ages and the manuals in the latest Lotus seem to have overcome the issues they used to have with selector cables etc.

The 4 pot will get AMG's DCT, which from reviews seems vastly improved on earlier versions but whether its as good as BMW/FERRARI DCT or PDK is still out.

I will see if Lotus will let me take out an Evora automatic and manual as I feel that will give anyone a great information as the Emira uses the exact same engine/drivetrain on First edition cars.
Best choice, right choice - well done

Back
Top Bottom