Low depreciation semi interesting VAG cars - TT QS, R32, Opinions?

Man of Honour
I am still looking for a semi-daily use car after my Golf died last year. I've been unable to decide what to get next so have just lived with my Corrado as a main car temporarily. Although I have two teenage kids we only occasionally need three or four seats nowadays. I probably drive 4 to 5 thousand miles a year. I do have my Corrado which is surprisingly roomy in the back for short trips. But I'm looking for something more modern for daily use. I am comfortable VAG world, as is my wife, and three cars come to mind. However I keep flipping between them and wanted a few opinions. One of my biggest criteria is to avoid a lot of depreciation while still having a fairly interesting car. I am looking to spend about £10k (plus or minus a couple of k for the right car). But depreciation is one of the biggest criteria.

Thoughts on the below?

Audi TT mk1 Quattro Sport
- This is not a practical car for four people so a major disadvantage would be that I'd need to use the Corrado on occasions where we need more seats. However they are holding their monery well and now starting to rise. They have the potential to become a classic but obviously there are no guarantees. I've owned several 225's in the past but driving a few QS 240's recently the do feel lovely inside, mainly due to the wonderful seats. I've always wanted one and they seem cheap to maintain. But they obviously aren't a family car. Realistically I'd probably end up also buying a cheap four door runabout if I did get the QS.

Golf mk4 R32
- I used to have a mk4 V6 4Motion and it was arguably the best built Golf I've owned (better than my mk6) and I really miss the Haldex. The mk4 R32 would be like that but on steroids. It would be practical enough for a family car and I wouldn't have to rely on the Corrado which is getting a little too old. The really big advantage of this car is that it has a large fanbase and prices are now definitely on the up. I've had several cars with the VR6 engine and absolutely love the character of them. But they are a little old now so the interior is dated and maintenance costs might be an issue.

Golf mk5 R32
- I liked my mk6 GTI and discounted a mk5 R32 in the past due to increased costs, weight and the general concensus that the GTI is better. The GTI certainly seems better. But it wasn't exciting at all to own. I feel that the R32 would at least be characterful even if it's not technically as good. A 5 door mk5 R32 fits almost everyhting I need in a car. It's the sensible choice out of all of these. But unlike the QS and mk4 R32 there will be some depreciation. The tax will also be in the highest bracket.

Yes I know people will suggest non-VAG cars and I am open to suggestions. But all of the above are cars I've considered in the past and I know a fair amount about them. So they are my main candidates. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Having driven a Mark 1 TT, I wouldn't bother if you plan to get any enjoyment out of the drive. They're like driving a bowl of clotted custard; bloody horrible.

Man of Honour
OP
Having driven a Mark 1 TT, I wouldn't bother if you plan to get any enjoyment out of the drive. They're like driving a bowl of clotted custard; bloody horrible.
Thanks. I've owned two in the past and know what you mean. The quattro sport is a little different to a regular TT though.

Associate
Genuine question: why exclusively VAG? From your posts in this thread it looks like you've owned loads of them at this point. Wouldn't it be more of an experience to try different brands which would open up your options?

Man of Honour
OP
Genuine question: why exclusively VAG? From your posts in this thread it looks like you've owned loads of them at this point. Wouldn't it be more of an experience to try different brands which would open up your options?
We've looked at others. But the above list are three that my wife and I both like and we have considered in the past.

Associate
We've looked at others. But the above list are three that my wife and I both like and we have considered in the past.
That's fair enough then if you've looked at the other options. The only two that come to mind other than the ones on your list are the Passat R36 and the Pheaton with the silly huge engine. Both are obviously absolute boats compared to a golf/TT though. For me the mk4 R32 (in blue) stands out on your list because I'd actually turn around and look at it. The other two blend in with the crowd to much to be special imo.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks. Yes the Passat and Phaeton are too large. I like that Megan but my wife would refuse to drive it due to the 'out there' looks :)

It would be the better car though.

Soldato
I've always had a soft spot for the MK4 R32's being the first Golf R and probably the best looking IMO. They're getting to the point where running one as a daily driver might be an issue due to age though? Maybe not though. Also, they're quite sought after by collectors and rarer than the MK5 so a Mk4 R32 will actually cost you more than the newer Mk5 version!

The Mk5 R32 is just that bit dull IMO. The last of the V6 engined models which is cool but means big fuel bills and ridiculous road tax costs.

I don't know why you're worried about depreciation if you're buying a 10+ year old car! Nothing that age is likely to lose much in value providing you keep it running. :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So basically you're looking at anything relatively small that has the 3.2 v6? This is the same engine as in my mk2 TT, 3.2 R (dont know if there should be an R but that's what the log book says). I kinda like the TT but it is a bit dull, the 3.2 in my mk2 does make it sing a bit nicer but apart from being a nice place to be it's always just missing something and if i'm honest even with everything turned off, sports suspension button pressed etc, it's still not a great car, its just on ok car, it does everything just ok, it has ok power, ok torque, ok character, ok handling, the only thing saving it from being a totally dull car is the v6... I dunno for me it's fine but not really exciting in any way, the v6 although good just doesn't have the character or power of porsches flat 6 nor the smoothness of the straight 6 in bmw's, it does however have a mildly amusing growl.

Gotta say though, id still take the 3.2 of any of these models over the smaller turbo ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
None are all that fun or interesting really.

You might be able to find a Skyline for 10k, if you hurry as prices are only going up :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd get a Mk4 R32. They are more raw than the MK5 and styled more aggressively, they are rare, stand out, and make a fantastic noise with the flapper mod.

You said "flapper mod" :D - I have no idea what that is but love that name!

Soldato
I’d suggest doing an advanced search on Pistonheads for front engined petrol cars with 6 cylinders.

Some quite interesting stuff on there including various M3 variants, a couple of Audis and a few 135is. If you’re willing to take a risk with the age of a Mk4 golf, then an older M3 shouldn’t faze you. BMW M3s especially have a very slow depreciation curve at the moment and might even appreciate.

Also:
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...romeo-brera-jts-v6-q4-sv--low-mileage/9371379

Everyone loves a V6 Alfa.

Back
Top Bottom