Low power mobo/cpu for home-server withouth graphics?

Associate
I am considering buying a new homeserver and new HTPC; The build by Bigsy looks great as HTPC:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18360592

Now for the Server/NAS : What would be a good mini-itx, low power Motherboard/CPU combo for an always-on homeserver with some CPU-power to spare? Maybe the same motherboard with FM1 Athlon II X4 ?
Nice about the Llano is you have 2.1 and 2.6 GHz versions, but I don't need the graphics...

(since the server will not be needing graphics, I wondered if the Llano A6 or similar would still be the best choise for that machine, or not, since you will pay ( in money and powerconsumption) for all the graphics extras...)

Thanks for any thoughts,

Alex.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do they do a EE version of the X4 in FM1? Because if their all 100w that is going to limit you for cooling and power if using a pico and adding hdd's for a nas.

TBH clock for clock there really is no difference between the two, I've not checked prices but I suspect there isn't much in it so I'd probably still have a llano, the apu might come in handy at some point in the future or even transcoding of your nas server?

Other option is a i3-2100 but it will cost you more and not have any better idle power, but it will have lower peak power (handy if adding loads of hdd's off a pico) and slightly more horse power clock for clock.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply,

Do they do a EE version of the X4 in FM1? Because if their all 100w that is going to limit you for cooling and power if using a pico and adding hdd's for a nas.
I don't think so, indeed the ones I can find have a TDP of 100Watt.

TBH clock for clock there really is no difference between the two, I've not checked prices but I suspect there isn't much in it so I'd probably still have a llano, the apu might come in handy at some point in the future or even transcoding of your nas server?

That's true, I don't mind ending up with an APU, was just wondering if there would be a better choice; ( and indeed I would want to consider transcoding on the homeserver itself at some stage).

I'll do a bit more searching to see if there is en EE version of the X4, otherwise the Llano is probably the right choice, also for the server/nas.
( might wait some weeks since I read there are new versions coming out in May?)

Alex.

Soldato
The cpu is weak and your probably looking quite a bit higher idle wattage (I don't believe they use a pico psu).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A microserver generally idles between 20-30w depending on setup. The CPU isn't the most powerful but it's good enough to run everything you'd generally throw at a home server, and at around £150 it'd be cheaper than anything you can make.

See the thread here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18216324

It looks interesting in itself, although I think I would like a bit more processing power. The server will maybe function (next to a NAS) used as a "multimedia"-backend, running tvheadend.

As for the cost: the prices I see are more around 250 Euro (~210 pound), and I happen to have a picoPSU already powering my old system (M2V mobo with older amd x2).

Back
Top Bottom