Low profile i5-7500 cooler

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I've ended up dropping an i5-7500 95w processor into an older unit that has an arctic 11 pro rev.2 in it.

Great little cooler but I wouldn't mind things running cooler, hitting 90c after an hour occt extreme.

Any recommendations? Sadly, I've not got a huge amount of height to play with, but something that clears memory modules and has a higher tdp than the 11 pro is what I'm after.

Last edited:

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
So the two suggested by mickyflinn look like decent coolers, but they've got too big of a footprint width wise really.

I'll get the tape measure out in the morning, but I'm thinking something with a plate then heatpipes to clear the board and memory modules. Something similar to the coolmaster evos but smaller :o:rolleyes:

Soldato
What case and case fan setup do you now have? I ask because case with good airflow reaches max temp in 3-5 minutes of full load run. Your system taking an hour to hit 90c indicates case airflow isn't keeping up with component cooler airflow demand. When this happens coolers have to re-used their own heated exhaust air, and every degree warmer the air entering cool is becomes same degrees hotter the component it's cooling is.

Also, how often do you clean your system? If vents have filters, they gradually collect dust / lint making it harder and harder for fans to draw air through them. Compound this with many case fans having very low pressure ratings so have very low ability to overcome airflow resistance resulting in dirty cases having little to no airflow.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
Thanks @doyll, you're made some very valid points. The case in all honesty isn't great, it's a small to mid generic tower at best with limited space which won't be helping.

When I was testing with and without the side on under full load, I was getting closer to an acceptable (not ideal) 85c which led me to order some exhaust fans that sould be arriving today. I have cleaned it out though so I can rule that out too.

I'm hoping the exhaust fans will make a considerable improvement, combined with a slightly higher rated cooler to level things out until a new case can be picked up, it's not my system so at present it's not an option to swap out.

Soldato
Thanks @doyll, you're made some very valid points. The case in all honesty isn't great, it's a small to mid generic tower at best with limited space which won't be helping.

When I was testing with and without the side on under full load, I was getting closer to an acceptable (not ideal) 85c which led me to order some exhaust fans that sould be arriving today. I have cleaned it out though so I can rule that out too.

I'm hoping the exhaust fans will make a considerable improvement, combined with a slightly higher rated cooler to level things out until a new case can be picked up, it's not my system so at present it's not an option to swap out.
What case do you have?

What case fans are you using and where are they placed in case?

Small cases are usually not a problem. Problems are size of and placement of case vents and fans with such low pressure ratings that they are not able to move much air through vent grills, filters, and on through case.

Once I know what case and fans you have I will be able to give educated advice about how good / bad fans you have are and where I would place them in your case.
You might find basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimise case airflow in link below helpful.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
It's a generic thing from a competitor years ago, not even mine like I say.

I whacked a cooler master evo on it today, and discovered the main problem, the Arctic hadn't clamped down properly, hence the temps.

Been running it flat out playing FIFA games all night and it's hitting 62c which I'm more than happy with.

Will add a single 80-92mm exhaust fan and it'll be fine I'm thinking. There are two at the front only at the moment, have one top exhaust fan coming tomorrow too.

Soldato
Glad you got temps down.
I almost asked if you were sure cooler was mounted properly. It's 2nd thing I check .. 1st being that fans / fins / filters are not plugged with lint and dust.
Cases with 80-92mm fans usually have very poor case airflow.

Back
Top Bottom