low ssd speeds and no 2nd hdd :(

Associate
After buying an agility 3 and a sata 3 controller card i have done a fresh install on the ssd of win 7 but whatever port on the ud5 motherboard or the controller card i cant get a sequential read speed of above the 200 mark. Also when i try to attach my 2nd hdd again the system refuses to boot.
Any ideas? I have a gigabyte ud5 rev 1.0 board and have enabled all the achi stuff i can see in the bios. I have tried the controller card in x4 and x16 lanes but no difference. I could live with the lower speeds for now if i could at least get my storage drive back!

Man of Honour
It's the card that's holding the SSD back. Just because it conforms to the SATA3 standard doesn't mean it'll be capable of actually shifting data at that rate.

The problem with the second HDD is likely to be the boot priority changing in the BIOS when it's connected. You'll need to connect the drive then reset the priority to boot from the controller card.

Associate
OP
But i get the same low speeds of around 210 reads and writes whether i use the controller card or not. Surely theres something not right? Will have a look at boot priority again.From what i remember though all thats listed is like usb, hdd, cdrom etc and something like l120.

Associate
OP
well i have sorted the 2nd hdd and it was just boot priority! silly mistakes when your flusstered! Still after going to the startech website and downloading the driver for the pexsat 32 i still only getting speeds of around 190-200 read and write speeds :(.
Not even close to a maxed sata 2 drive for an agility 3 ! it seems to be no different if i have it on a sata 2 port or through the card.
Is there something ive missed? I have downloaded the lateset mobo drivers so surely it cant be that. There are white sata ports and blue ones on the mobo..would either be better? All i can think of is it must be some controller driver issue. Agility says its on 2.22 firmware if that means anything.

Associate
Ah, that's the correct speed then. Crystaldiskmark uses incompressible data while ATTO uses compressible. The sandforce controller in the agility 3 compresses the data if it can before it writes it to the NAND, so compressible data will show those 500 speeds.

edit: while not Crystaldiskmark, AS SSD (shows similar figures) also uses incompressible data. You can see the atto numbers on the next page.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2011/08/17/ocz-agility-3-240gb-review/3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom