Lower pump or fan speed on Corsair H45

Soldato
Just built my PC again using another motherboard as mines faulty.

Installed the H45 fine but how do I lower the pump or fan speed? I think it's running at full speed and its really noisy. My CPU idle temp is 30C so it must be working OK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check your bios for fan speeds, one of them will be the pump. You can control the pump just like any fan from the bios.

It is usually advised to leave pumps at full speed unless your model says different.

Soldato
OP
Its a fan casuing it, trying to figure out which one. (A: One on the radiator of the H45 B: One at the rear or C: One at the top of the case)

Associate
Is the fan daisy chained to the pump with the pump set to run full speed? If so the fan will also run full speed.

With my x41 I have the fan on the CPU fan header and the pump on the WaterPump header. That way I can control the speeds independently.

Soldato
OP
No daisy chaining. I found it out, because my radiator is at the front the FAN cable won't reach CPU_FAN2 on the mobo so I plugged it into FAN_CHASSIS2 and adjusted the fan curve for FAN_CHASSIS2 in the BIOS. It's not running at full pelt anymore but there's still a whirring noise.

Is it safe to have the fan almost off and only kick in when the CPU temp reaches 35C?

EDIT: Its not the fan, I ran it on silent mode and can still hear that whining noise. It must be the radiator or pump. Is that standard? I thought AIO were near silent?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been doing some research and apparently the noise coming from the radiator is because is being supplied with above 12 volts. My BIOS shows its getting 12.2V so I need to lower it to 12V. I can't see an option in the BIOS to do this though :confused:

Associate
DC fan profiles are just increasing voltage. Take the profile that's running your pump just below 100% maybe.
The pump will always make some noise though.

Soldato
OP
I can't seem to change the pump speed. Is the pump on the CPU or in the radiator bit? The noise is coming from the radiator bit.

Soldato
OP
Could it be I have the radiator fan plugged into a CHASIS_FAN1 connection and not CPUFAN2?

The braided cable going to the radiator/pump is plugged into CPU_FAN1, the none braided cable is going CHASIS_FAN1

H45 fan headers.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update: I seem to have fixed it. Basically the fan on the Corsair H45 has to go in the CPU_FAN2 slot. If it goes in any other slot the radiator makes that horrible murmuring/screeching sound. Not sure why this is the case as the fan has no connection to the radiator other than the 4 screws that connect it.

So to fix it I simply took the fan off, rotated it 180 degrees and now the cable reaches CPU_FAN2 :) Very strange but works.

Back
Top Bottom