***Lumia 950/950XL***

Soldato
What do you still like about it. I still like the OS after two years but its getting buggier and bugger. I don't use many apps, but with Bing search now the default and many websites not playing nice with Edge. I still get a lot of crashes in video playback and camera use. I'm on the slow ring.

While my phone reboots, I fall back on a old iPhone 4 and everything just works. Its just really slow for web stuff. I'm just getting tired of WP being so buggy.

Man of Honour
don't have any of those issues.
edge still works on the websites it used to, but there are websites especialy drop down menus that it doesn't cope well with, it never crashes etc. also on slow ring.

Associate
I was using a Nokia Lumia 640 as a back up phone.
Had to use it for 2 weeks and for calls and txts it was fine.
But the apps are non existent if your coming from IOS or Android.

Soldato
Apps aren't a big deal if you can use the mobile website instead. But often I can't as I have to switch to desktop mode to use the website and even then it doesn't play nice.

I think its the later build/fork on the 930/950 the redstone build is gettng more love for MS than the other builds. They probably don't have the resources to maintain all the builds/forks anymore.

Soldato
I've had the 930 for 2 years which started on windows 8.1. I moved from a iPhone 5 and I have the say it was a painful move in all honesty. I have to say overall the iPhone is still the best phone/eco system on the market.

But I like my things to my all be in the same eco system, xbox, surface, windows desktop, windows phone etc

Started using windows 10 mobile on the insider program last September and it was miles better than 8.1 sure there have been a few bugs along the way under the fast ring but a lot better than 8.1.

I'm now on the insider release preview and cant fault it at all that's with the 930. Not sure what ring I'm going to use with the 950.

App's is still a sticking point I really want auto trader, YouTube, snapcatch sure there's more but cannot think of them now.

Also got the display stock in with the price looking forward to trying out continuum.

Microsoft are doing well I think and I'm happy with windows 10 mobile another big update coming in august with the anniversary update which should be good.

I'm have to come along for the ride it in strange way. I know its not the best now but I believe one day it will be.

Last edited:
Associate
yep I'm happy with windows 10 mobile on my 930 as well, seems there are people that oddly want it to fail. while its not perfect, for internet use I find it so much better than android

Soldato
shame MS killed windows phone, the hardware for these looks very nice. If it was any use for VR i'd probably get a 950xl instead of waiting to move to android.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been just over a year on my 930 and still love it. I don't miss Snapchat (or care about it) and I have the banking app I need to keep an eye on my money.

No complaints here!

I'll go back to it again at some point as not many apps I use on a daily basis aren't available on the Windows Phone OS but really once the 'Surface' phone hits I'll be all over that no doubt beautiful hardware!

Soldato
New update on my 640 has removed the FM radio and now email notifications don't work. I should really to my nth reset and see if that fixes it. Not sure if I can be bothered anymore.

Soldato
Is that the 'Fast Ring/Redstone Branch' that it's been removed from!? I'm on the 'Production Branch' on my 830 and the FM radio is still there for me!! (running .456)

I hear 'Tap to wake' is now available on the 950... I keep trying to double tap to wake my wife's 635 as my 830 has had it since it came out the box... it's sort of automatic! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I took ownership of a 950 late last week that I bought off ebay for £175. It's in as new condition and is my fourth Windows phone after an LG Optimus 7, Samsung ATIV S and most recently a Lumia 640.

My impressions after a few days use are that it is a massive step up in performance and camera usability and quality. The hardware in combination with the software is very, very good. The 640 was always lacking in former.

Soldato
I notice that myself between the 640 and the Moto G4 I have the 640 feels slow in comparison. Irony is I still prefer using the 640 as an OS. Still don't like Android. I'm thinking of getting a 830 or 930 as they are very cheap now.

Soldato
On the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update front... Anyone else able to get Cortana to read texts over Bluetooth??

Worked no problems up until 2 or three updates ago, I thought the AU would fix this, But Noooooo!!! Now my Car Bluetooth, Cortana says "You've received a Text from ****, Would you like me to read it? or Ignore it!?"... When the 'Beep' happens I say "Read It!" as I used to... But nowt!! It just beeps and that's it!!! :(

However I can still make and take calls, and Send Texts and Emails like always using voice recognition!!!

Back
Top Bottom