Luxury car for £6000...

Associate
Bigger 4WD capable vehicles like this tend to get expensive as they get older though you have to be a bit unlucky to spend 8K in less than a year but 2K a year aside from normal running cost isn't unusual. Once you get past ~100K miles or so you are on borrowed time for a lot of stuff.

At these kind of prices you gotta be prepared to run it into the ground and walk away once the bills are outside 100s.

thinking back .had this problem when we used to fit insurance security systems , put a cobra immobiliser in for a local customer on a vogue. he pays and picks it up. next day he rings up and says he has a noise at the front at his car and the fourwheel drive isnt working correctly, he advises me that he is taking it to the dealer and wants them to repair it .

doesnt really give me much of a say in it.

later that day he rings up and says its going to cost xx thousands to repair and he want to claim on my insurance, i m not happy so ask which dealer it is at , hes a bit cagey but eventually tells me it at dealer x.
i ring said dealer up and they have no record of the vehicle so i start to get suspicious and have a ring around . then i remember when we used to run training courses i had a mechanic on a course who worked for land rover so though give him a call, withing 20 mins he found the vehicle at another dealer, but more importantly found said vehicle had been in for a service a week before we had it and the fault had been discovered in the transfer box and pointed out to the customer..... i always remember the comment....some customers own these cars and when warranty is due to expire part exchange them. others tend to try and find someone to blame when/not if something goes wrong , he even said he wouldnt own one without a warranty.

quite nice i must admit to ring the customer up and hear him deflate on the phone when i ask him about the service and the fact that he was told about this fault a week before we apparently caused it. never heard from him again but did see the r/r up for sale a while later described as immaculate..hmm

Soldato
Their cars are what they are, i detailed it further back in this thread but they are not necessarily bad. They'll all fit into the categories mentioned. The description there is just to weed people out who dont understand what it is that they sell.

I bought my CL500 from them 15 years ago. It fell into the 'no history' gamble type scenario you described earlier. I got lucky. In the end I moved it on because too many keys had been 'mated' to the Command system and it needed a new Command module if I wanted a spare key cut. Too many £££ for my tastes at the time and I could move it on with a full years MOT and by that time a few years' service history without hassle.

But as a dealer trading on volume at keen prices they were pretty good to deal with I have to say and perfectly up front about everything both on the eBay advert and when I went to collect - no pressure if I wasn't happy. Not sure I'd take the gamble again with an older, wiser head on my shoulders but nothing wrong with that particular dealer IMO.

Soldato
That was a few years ago. I wonder how the current owner is getting on lol

Probably runs but nothing else on it works (which is pretty much how our work one ended up) :D

Soldato
My friend did something like this, albeit with a slightly higher budget although it was still a lemonade money champagne taste thing - moved to Suffolk from round here and traded her 2015 Beetle convertible for a 2011 Discovery 4 w/92k on the clock (same bronze colour w/beige interior... because!) for a few grand part x. The engine had been completely replaced at 90k after going kaput but other than a flat tyre and it being thirsty + a full tank costing an arm and a leg nothing has gone wrong with it... yet.

Can see why she wanted it having visited a few times as, and while she’s usually incredibly jammy when it comes to fate smiling kindly on her, I keep waiting for the messages that xyz has gone wrong and organs will have to be sold to pay for repairs.

Man of Honour
So yeah just had a near 2 grand bill on my truck, not including a small intercooler leak that is going to have to be sorted sooner or later... albeit that is largely wear and tear from actually using the vehicle plus consumables rather than stuff going wrong/normal wear from age/high mileage. These kind of vehicles are not cheap to run unless you can do the work yourself or run them into the ground.

Best of luck OP.

Back
Top Bottom