1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M1 Macbook Pro - USB C hub recommendation

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by n30_mkii, 3 Jan 2021.

1. n30_mkii

Wise Guy

I could do with a smallish usb hub that has ideally two hdmi ports so I can drive two displays plus use the macbooks at the same time whilst also handlingpass through charging, akin to a docking station. I can see there are a number on the amazon such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089D466LR

Please kill the link if not allowed.

Seems to get reasonable reviews, but wondered if anyone has something similar that doesn't cost £200+ and I can put it in the laptop case and use elsewhere.

I'd be running one monitor at 4k ideally 60hz if feasible, the other is a 1650 × 1050

Thanks

2. Throrik

Wise Guy

The M1 devices, excluding the Mac Mini only support one external display natively.

3. n30_mkii

Wise Guy

Is that the case when using these breakout hubs though?

4. Throrik

Wise Guy

Yep.

5. Reuben klang

Hitman

Not me but my brother got this Anker USB C Hub, 5-in-1 for his and says it's perfect.

He uses it for his ipad as well.

6. n30_mkii

Wise Guy

Thanks, it seems there are some issues with the power delivery ones bricking the m1 macbooks, so this could actually be a good option. It will be fine as long as I can drive my main 4k screen ideally at 60hz

7. box

Wise Guy

Bought a "Satechi" one off Amazon - figured if Apple are selling that brand through their store then they can't be too bad. I've been very happy so far.

Prices are all over the place though, and the market is saturated with these things so it's a minefield. I bought the one I've got for £30, but price has since gone to £80. I'd suggest checking price history for anything you're considering as you may be able to grab a better deal if you wait!