MacBook Air 2010/11 battery swollen!

Soldato
Anyone had this issue?

It's expanded so much the entire keyboard and trackpad have bent upwards (So much so that the trackpad won't click)…

So the battery failing has effectively ruined the laptop completely.

Apple aren't interested as it's supposedly "vintage"... Sigh.

I think I've read that UK law means I could force their hand up to 6 years old, but as its 7 or so, I'm out of luck?

They've kindly offered to recycle it for free (lol).

I've ordered some screwdrivers so I can attempt to at least remove this battery before it explodes etc... But overall it's pretty disappointing.

Haven't they got themselves in trouble before from these shoddy batteries failing?

Man of Honour
Your lucky in that the Air is at least partly serviceable. I just looked on eBay and you can get keyboards and trackpads for it.

If suggest your put of luck with Apple paying for any of it as it is seven years old.

Associate
I don't think you have a leg to stand on on this one. I can't see how a battery failing after 7 years is considered unreasonable, they are considered consumable parts after all. Even if it's motherboard / processor had failed your still beyond the limit where you could reasonably argue it should still be working.

You can order replacement batteries off ebay for £50. Have you taken the swollen battery out and seen if the trackpad / case will bend back into place allowing you to salvage it that way?

Associate
same thing happened to mine last year it had swollen the case up pretty bad. Once i opened it up and replaced the battery everything seemed ok afterwards and works fine so it's worth a try

Back
Top Bottom