MacBook Pro 13" - i5 2.0ghz vs i7 2.4ghz

Soldato
So I was looking to pull the trigger on the non touch MacBook Pro and was wondering how much of a difference there would be in the two CPU choices.
It would be for general day to day usage of web/iTunes/remote work in Windows 10.

Also, will this make much of a difference in future proofing the machine?
I'm already looking at getting the upgraded 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD drive in it.

Finally, is now a really bad time to buy? Do people think that new models are imminent?
I'm currently using a 2011 base model which has a cracked screen, cracked trackpad and just generally seems to be on its way out performance wise.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Soldato
The cpu and memory speed give a small increase in performance considering the price uplift. Check the cpu turbo speeds to get a better picture of peak performance (3.1 vs 3.4ghz). They also both affect the battery life so by getting a small increase to speed you'll get a small decrease in battery life. Up to you really.

16gb memory for normal use is also a bit overkill. I regularly use my base spec non-touch for work stuff. It'll have the following running with zero lag or memory issues

2 x chrome with 6-8 tabs each
iTerm
1-2 x ms rdp clients
atom
AV etc

So pretty light stuff really.

Personally I'd get a base spec with 2.0ghz/8gb/256gb on sale and pocket the difference, then when a new one comes out in say 2-3 years you can swap out to it with way less financial hit.

base spec from popular shop with current discount £1349
custom spec from apple (2.4/16/512) £2079

money saved £730

Buy a usb-c memory stick if you want to carry around really large files as well, that's say £30-60 and gets rid of the 256gb ssd issue if you have one.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The cpu and memory speed give a small increase in performance considering the price uplift. Check the cpu turbo speeds to get a better picture of peak performance (3.1 vs 3.4ghz). They also both affect the battery life so by getting a small increase to speed you'll get a small decrease in battery life. Up to you really.

16gb memory for normal use is also a bit overkill. I regularly use my base spec non-touch for work stuff. It'll have the following running with zero lag or memory issues

2 x chrome with 6-8 tabs each
iTerm
1-2 x ms rdp clients
atom
AV etc

So pretty light stuff really.

Personally I'd get a base spec with 2.0ghz/8gb/256gb on sale and pocket the difference, then when a new one comes out in say 2-3 years you can swap out to it with way less financial hit.

base spec from popular shop with current discount £1349
custom spec from apple (2.4/16/512) £2079

money saved £730

Buy a usb-c memory stick if you want to carry around really large files as well, that's say £30-60 and gets rid of the 256gb ssd issue if you have one.

Yep, agree with everything here. £730 is a whole new laptop (not an Apple one, but still), and 8GB is fine for general use when combined with a very fast SSD.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. I was actually looking at the refurb units. The i5 16/512 is available for £1,499, so not much of an increase in price over the base model really.
I think i will definitely go for the i5 over the i7 if it comes up again then.

Just looking again and they have an 8/512 option abvailable for £1,339. Would I really not see much of a benefit with 16gb instead of 8gb then? My main concern was future proofing. My current MBP has lasted since 2011, although it has had a HD upgrade in that time.

Soldato
Apple introduced memory compression and it goes a long way, my personally laptop used to struggle with my work stuff (8gb ram) but now I get by just fine. I think for £150~ more I would get 16/512 though, 512 is mainly the gain here has I can imagine that more storage well be very helpful the longer you keep the machine.

Soldato
£1339 for the 8/512 sounds really good.

With the memory, you'll only benefit from it if you are using some memory hungry apps. What kinda stuff will you be doing on it?

Associate
Really depends on what your work load will be on the mac, I went with a 2015 model and 16gb Ram as I have many IDEs and apps open a the same time, couldn't go back to 8gb, if you do lots of dev work and need Xcode and other IDE's at the same time I would Defo pick the 16gb. Just my 2 pence worth.

Back
Top Bottom