macos osx photos catalina

Soldato
hi all

Very simple question:

1. I have a mbp with 200GB+ photos
2. I have download originals enabled
3. GOAL ONE I want to be able to maintain a complete 100% original file copy of my photos
4. I copy the photoslibrary file onto external disk for back up (it's also on my timemachine)
5. GOAL TWO I want to minimise storage on my mbp used by photos so I want to tick 'Optimise originals'
6. However this will prevent me from maintaining my backup as the mac will no longer house original photos.
7. QUESTION How do I then proceed to maintain a 100% original copy of my photos backed up and reduce the space used on my mbp ?

The only way I can think of is to literally buy another mac with enough storage and set that to download originals, and have my mac book pro act the same way my iphone does and store only optimised copies.

Do I really have to buy another mac to do this or is there another recognised way?

thanks all

Soldato
OP
Why do you need a backup if it’s all in iCloud?
because icloud is not a backup ?

Because if I tick optimise, and all my photos go to icloud I no longer have a local copy . Icloud is NOT a backup.

If I accidentally delete a photo, it's gone from icloud. If I have a backup, well then I have a backup.

If icloud has some kind of outage or data loss (its happened to other providers and WILL happen again), I want a backup copy.

Man of Honour
If you delete a photo, it's in deleted items for 30 days. Cheapest option is to buy an external drive and store your photos there.

Commissario
I've been thinking about this since I saw your thread yesterday and I think you're right. I did consider about setting up a second user account on your Mac and having that keep the originals but then of course, that kind of defeats the point of trying to save space.

My iPhone and my MB both keep optimised versions and my iMac has the full ones which is effectively the situation you've described.

Soldato
OP
I've been thinking about this since I saw your thread yesterday and I think you're right. I did consider about setting up a second user account on your Mac and having that keep the originals but then of course, that kind of defeats the point of trying to save space.

My iPhone and my MB both keep optimised versions and my iMac has the full ones which is effectively the situation you've described.

im thinking mac mini with some tasty storage. Of course this can be external as the mac mini wont be ‘going’ anywhere. Have this machine download originals. Have a time machine of that machine and /or a cloned backup of the photos library to offsite. Then have ipad iphone and macbookpro all do optimised storage. This works particularly well for a family as they can all use this as the main ‘authoritive’ machine using user accounts. As long as they log in every so often so it can sync. Im not sure if photos sync (download orig from icloud) when you arent logged in.

Edit - i see what you mean re second account so have one as optimised and the other account with the library on an external as originals. Its maybe work but it still a bit pfaffy and doesn’t solve the multiple user issue very nicely as theres 2x mbp 4 ipads and 4 iphones in this family. My idea solves the iphone/ipad only users (kids) which wouldnt otherwise work

Last edited:
Permabanned
The only way I can think of is to literally buy another mac with enough storage and set that to download originals, and have my mac book pro act the same way my iphone does and store only optimised copies.

That's a very expensive way just to keep photos mind, that's a crazy way to do it.

It would be cheaper to buy another hard drive and create a batch script to automatically copy any new files to a secondary hard drive (Internal or external).

OR Buy more icloud storage and upload originals only.

Soldato
OP
That's a very expensive way just to keep photos mind, that's a crazy way to do it.

It would be cheaper to buy another hard drive and create a batch script to automatically copy any new files to a secondary hard drive (Internal or external).

OR Buy more icloud storage and upload originals only.

Thanks for your reply. But You are still missing it. Tell me How does the 'original' photo get onto my hard drive when I take a picture on my iphone?

your 'OR' idea seems to indicate you don't know how icloud works. I have plenty icloud storage, and icloud always uploads the originals. The question is how do I get the originals back onto my own local storage, given I don't want them to clog my macbook up (so external storage) and given I want to have access to all my photos all the time. (so i can't just have a photo library on an external device because this is a laptop)

yes it's expensive, but seems to be no other way as Apple haven't made a icloud-> Timemachine mechanism yet.

Permabanned
Don't have them syncing to your mac then if you need the storage and when you need them just access your icloud and download them somewhere else. Icloud can be used as a backup if you have the storage capacity.

I know exactly how icloud works I use it.

Soldato
OP
Don't have them syncing to your mac then if you need the storage and when you need them just access your icloud and download them somewhere else.

If they don't sync to my mac, then I no longer have a local copy of the original photo, the exact thing I want to back up.

Icloud can be used as a backup if you have the storage capacity.
no, it can't.

I know exactly how icloud works I use it.

Then you should know it's not a backup and what I am asking for is not solved by any of your suggestions.

Can I ask you some questions about how you are using it in case you are inadvertently doing something that no one else seems to know how to do please?

Where is your second copy of your original photos?

How do you ensure photos from your iphone get included in this , above, copy of your original photos?

Do you have originals downloading to your mac book pro/laptop ? Or optimise only ?

If optimise, how do you manage getting a copy of the originals stored in a second location (location 1 being icloud photo)

Would what you are doing work for more than one user, who doesn't have an apple computer device, only an iphone and ipad?

thanks

Permabanned
If they don't sync to my mac, then I no longer have a local copy of the original photo, the exact thing I want to back up.

The Original copy is stored in iCloud and you can either have "Download and keep Originals" turned on (for your device) or Optimise iPhone Storage. (Originals are still in the cloud).

no, it can't.

Yes it can. If I lose my iPhone I know I have a copy of my photos is in iCloud.

Where is your second copy of your original photos?

They are in another cloud storage. I have an app called Mega so it uploads what I want to another cloud storage solution.

How do you ensure photos from your iphone get included in this , above, copy of your original photos?

The app does what I want it to do. In another cloud storage solution. You can use any other cloud storage app that has auto sync on.

Do you have originals downloading to your mac book pro/laptop ? Or optimise only ?

I don't but I know my Originals are stored in iCloud.

If optimise, how do you manage getting a copy of the originals stored in a second locatoin (location 1 being icloud photo)

As above.

Would what you are doing work for more than one user, who doesn't have an apple computer device, only an iphone and ipad?

Yeh if they have another cloud storage app installed there wouldn't be any problem here as they could access this in the 'other cloud solution'. Or what they could do is just access the icloud login to get all of the Originals.

Soldato
OP
The Original copy is stored in iCloud and you can either have "Download and keep Originals" turned on (for your device) or Optimise iPhone Storage. (Originals are still in the cloud).

Yes it can. If I lose my iPhone I know I have a copy of my photos is in iCloud.

They are in another cloud storage. I have an app called Mega so it uploads what I want to another cloud storage solution.

The app does what I want it to do. In another cloud storage solution. You can use any other cloud storage app that has auto sync on.

I don't but I know my Originals are stored in iCloud.

As above.

Yeh if they have another cloud storage app installed there wouldn't be any problem here as they could access this in the 'other cloud solution'. Or what they could do is just access the icloud login to get all of the Originals.

Sorry this is all wrong and irrelevant. I suggest you go back to the first post and read carefully. You clearly don't use an apple laptop, and probably not even an apple computer. Probably only an iphone. That's fine, but you don't know what you are talking about.

As for icloud being a backup here's one link of many: https://www.macworld.com/article/32...-photo-library-as-your-only-media-backup.html

Does anybody have anything more useful to add ?

Soldato
You could do this in a Virtual Machine using Parallels or Fusion (in fact you may even be able to do it in VirtualBox).

Set up a MacOS VM, enable icloud photo sync to download *all* your photos. You can run the VM from an external drive at home and power it up to sync however often you want/need.

Soldato
For what it's worth I have a Mac Mini (well, a few of them but hey ho), and one of them does all of my backups - to my NAS, to an online backup service etc., as well as running plex and some other automation tools.

It would be a decent solution tbh. You'd not even need a new Mac Mini, even the previous gen would handle this workload easily.

Soldato
OP
For what it's worth I have a Mac Mini (well, a few of them but hey ho), and one of them does all of my backups - to my NAS, to an online backup service etc., as well as running plex and some other automation tools.

It would be a decent solution tbh, I didn't think of that. Is mac OS easily VM-able these days? there used to be problems back in the day.

Good idea about the VM. Would probably work OK for a single user like myself. But the more I think about it the more it seems obviously the right answer to go mac mini because this enables seamless backup of 4 icloud accounts (2 kids / 2 adults) Gives them a decent PC to use for their imovie and school stuff, makes it easy for the missus to use (trying to explain how to get a vm and backing up her photos there etc would be a nightmare) Just makes sense to treat the mbp as a 'mobile device' like a phone and ipad and have the mac mini as the 'daddy machine' that has all the stuff, as you say it can be hooked up to back up services and permanent storage etc.

Re a older gen, maybe now theres a new one prices will drop but to be honest the mac mini holds it value VERY will indeed, so much so that buying a new one isn't that much more expensive in the scheme of things. it's another couple of hundred. For a few years service. I'm going to be plugging in £500 + of hard disk any way so saving a small amount on the PC isn't worth it when a new machine could be procured, and not just a new machine, the latest.

Soldato
VM works just fine in Parallels and Fusion - I use them a lot. You can see it here for example. That's my y/t channel.

The 2018 6 core Mini is a beast. The only thing it really struggles with is graphics tbh. Again my channel, but you can see the perofrmance of it here.

I started videong the performance type stuff cos a lot of kit that people are interested in seems to go across my desk at some point or another.

Back
Top Bottom