Mad Max: Fury Road

Associate
I absolutely loved it, and am definitely planning to see it again. The whole world and all the vehicle designs were so interesting, and the dirt bike scene in the middle of the movie was incredible. I did think that soundtrack wise, they may have shot their wad a little early during that sequence though, as the music during it felt more like a "final action scene" type score.

Associate
Well I love Mel Gibson Mad Max films but we watched this and felt very disappointed. Its basically 2 hours of the same story. One way escaping, one way returning/escaping.

I appreciated the awesome vehicles but it dragged on way to long and the lack of character development was abysmal.

Quite a shame because I looked forward to it too.

Caporegime
Mad Max: Fury Road voted year's best movie by international film critics: http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...oted-years-best-by-international-film-critics

This must be an epic troll, or a long con, because I refuse to believe that so many professionals could be so horrifically wrong. I reckon it was a hype bandwagon, a few early critics saw it and inexplicably loved it, and the psychological tidal wave of misplaced hype sprang forth from there.

I am, however, going to watch it again just to see if I missed something the first time. However, I expect only a greater and deeper sense of loathing will form.

Soldato
Mad Max: Fury Road voted year's best movie by international film critics: http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...oted-years-best-by-international-film-critics

This must be an epic troll, or a long con, because I refuse to believe that so many professionals could be so horrifically wrong. I reckon it was a hype bandwagon, a few early critics saw it and inexplicably loved it, and the psychological tidal wave of misplaced hype sprang forth from there.

I am, however, going to watch it again just to see if I missed something the first time. However, I expect only a greater and deeper sense of loathing will form.

Afraid I would have to agree off the top of my head. This year has been the lowest of the low for film production. I cannot name a half decent film, with most being a remake or a marvel film.
MM production and effects win it hands down, story was lacking but that was about all.

What would be your choice?
Heres the top 50, http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc
The ones I would choose have only this month come out or not at all, Southpaw, The man from UNCLE, The Martian etc etc.

Last edited:
Associate
We watched Ted 2 and it pains me to say I found it far more enjoyable.

Mad max should only win awards for its visual effects and good crashes. The story is embarrassingly bad. Big fat women being milked to trade for gasoline? Why bother getting the gasoline when you have a citadel with vast amounts of water and crops? It's not like their elevator thing is gas powered.. It's all mechanical powered by slaves.

The citadel wants fuel to run its vehicles to go get fuel. It's so dumb, there is no development of characters at all. A bunch of supermodels just along for the ride, pregnant and treated like goddesses by their tyrannical leader, yet wanna go on a quest for somewhere green off the back of a memory from a badass 1 armed truck driver who orchestrates the whole thing.

I love action movies that are low on intelligence but this was an insult to the original.

Caporegime
Afraid I would have to agree off the top of my head. This year has been the lowest of the low for film production. I cannot name a half decent film, with most being a remake or a marvel film.
MM production and effects win it hands down, story was lacking but that was about all.

What would be your choice?
Heres the top 50, http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc
The ones I would choose have only this month come out or not at all, Southpaw, The man from UNCLE, The Martian etc etc.

I'll let you know when the year actually finishes! That's why I hate premature declarations of best films of the year...

Mad max should only win awards for its visual effects and good crashes. The story is embarrassingly bad. Big fat women being milked to trade for gasoline? Why bother getting the gasoline when you have a citadel with vast amounts of water and crops? It's not like their elevator thing is gas powered.. It's all mechanical powered by slaves.

The citadel wants fuel to run its vehicles to go get fuel. It's so dumb, there is no development of characters at all. A bunch of supermodels just along for the ride, pregnant and treated like goddesses by their tyrannical leader, yet wanna go on a quest for somewhere green off the back of a memory from a badass 1 armed truck driver who orchestrates the whole thing.

I love action movies that are low on intelligence but this was an insult to the original.

Yup, which is why I am confounded at all of this acclaim. It is simply an awfully written movie.

Soldato
Agreed it is a premature declaration, still 4 months left. It would pain me too to say Ted2 was better, that film was borderline funny.
I had planned on writing out a whole bunch of reasons for the storyline but frankly I am not going to defend it, it wasn't great, though nothing comes to mind this year that put much more effort in, (so far)

A whole year of crap storylines lead me to the only visually excellent film. Sad really.

Man of Honour

The citadel wants fuel to run its vehicles to go get fuel.

A big stretch but maybe it's meant to be a comment on our consumerist society? Yeah, I'm not buying it either but I enjoyed the film all the same.

It's so dumb, there is no development of characters at all. A bunch of supermodels just along for the ride, pregnant and treated like goddesses by their tyrannical leader, yet wanna go on a quest for somewhere green off the back of a memory from a badass 1 armed truck driver who orchestrates the whole thing.

Goddesses/prisoners - it's all in the terminology. I'm not sure that the Mad Max series needed a new film but having not watched the original recently I can't be sure that the original had a much more believable storyline.

Soldato
Just finished watching, I don't recall ever having watched the originals. But this just seemed like a ridiculous 2 hour car chase. It was entertaining tho and I liked all the hints and reasonable well fleshed out world.

Soldato
Just watched this today and I thought it was fantastic. The effects are very well done and also has fantastic audio and really gave my system a workout.

The story is a bit naff but I just watched it as an action movie and was not disappointed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought it was a good action film, looked and sounded great. As I said in the 'film you watched last night' thread my only gripe was with Tom Hardy's portrayal of Max. It's almost like they had an action film planned, but decided at the last minute to try and cash in on the Mad Max franchise and they didn't have any lines planned for Max so just told him to grunt every now and again.

I couldn't stop laughing at the scene where he gives the warboy the gun and sprays his mouth with spray paint then he trips up and drops the gun and he just says "mediocre" and drives off :D.

Soldato
I thought it was a good action film, looked and sounded great. As I said in the 'film you watched last night' thread my only gripe was with Tom Hardy's portrayal of Max. It's almost like they had an action film planned, but decided at the last minute to try and cash in on the Mad Max franchise and they didn't have any lines planned for Max so just told him to grunt every now and again.

I couldn't stop laughing at the scene where he gives the warboy the gun and sprays his mouth with spray paint then he trips up and drops the gun and he just says "mediocre" and drives off :D.

Check out the honest trailer :D

Soldato
I don't see how it was a Mad Max film, he doesn't talk for half an hour and when he does it's to say "That's my jacket". I mean seriously? To me he did an average job of supporting Charlize Theron, and she was brilliant. Imperator Furiosa was the best character in the film. Action sequences were great though.

I thought the same. Liked Nicholas Hoult and Charlize Theron, but the Max character I was underwhelmed by. Non stop action, but it could have had 50% less and did more with the story and it would have been better. It was like watching a video game.

Back
Top Bottom