1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madass 155cc Project tidy up

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Kermit, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Kermit

Mobster

I've bought this Sachs Madass with 155c engine on a whim although had been looking for about 12 months and these things kept drawing me in for their funkiness and simplicity

Weds 4th March
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

God knows if I'll ride it much but its something to tinker with as the evenings grow longer and I had a sneaking suspicion it would fit in the Mondeo's boot to get it home which it did....just...with front wheel off & unfortunately I somehow managed to snap all 4 indicator stalks during the trip home.

Things to buy/do

New Brake Master Cylinder + Clutch (might try get modern sporty adjustable type) although I could simply respray the old one + new levers
    4 x Indicators (LED) about same size as ones hanging off it
    K&N type air filter - existing one is ok'ish but possibly not 100% sound
    Stainless Steel Allen Bolts + washers + nuts (were applicable) all round on none stressed parts (eg not brake disc bolts)
    New clocks possibly - current oem unit turns on (just) but seems to be lacking functions and speed pickup (from magnet on front brake rotar) not working. Tempted by this

2. Kermit

Mobster

Sat 7th March AM

I started the day not knowing how much I was going to strip it but once I'd removed one part it led to the next part and so on :o

The clocks. The speedo element of this stock clocks isn't working. Might just be wires or the sensor pickup and will consider further down the path whether to get working or replace with something nicer that includes tacho/gear indicator etc. The fake carbon stick on stuff will have to go. I like carbon but not fake stuff.
    [​IMG]

Bodged the Abba stand to give me a decent chance of working on it
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot to drain the fuel till it started leaking
    [​IMG]

I think you can tell where this is headed now.....
    [​IMG]

3. Kermit

Mobster

Sat 7th March PM

Engine out
    [​IMG]

Carb for info as likely I'll get a rebuild kit for it
    [​IMG]

Casing looks a little rough but gave a few areas a quick going over with a soft wire brush after I took this pic and it seems to come up quite well....it dirty but not heavily corroded. I'm not sure if there's any other good alternatives to improve the finish other than wire brush....don't fancy polishing it
    [​IMG]

Engine Markings (for reference if I need parts) - Yes, its Chinese but simple and parts are cheap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box of bits to clean/spray/check
    [​IMG]

Auxiliary parts
    [​IMG]

The frame, I wasn't sure what to do with this as past project bikes (VFR400, XR250R etc) I'd tended to throw go a bit ott and go for powder coated frame and parts but on this the finish is ok with just a few chips here and there but it'd be £200+ to power coat it and its parts such as the upper/lower yokes, fork lowers and battery box + other black parts so perhaps I'll go cheaper as don't want to put so much money in it, I'd make a loss when sold.

[​IMG]

4. iamdjdz

Mobster

Looks like a bit of fun tbh. I'd love something to work on like that. Will watch this thread.

5. unKle

Wise Guy

Nice little project and yes they're definitely 'funky'.

Workmate bought one from a shop in Maidstone about 6 years ago, let me have a ride of it..yeh, interesting to ride. Vibrations through the pegs were moving my feet off as I rode it! Feels like a bmx with a lawnmower engine strapped to it, which is basically what it is.

6. Kermit

Mobster

Yeah its just a bit of fun both with tidying it up and then hopefully riding it although I'm sure once the novelty wears off I'll be back on the Blade and it'll be up for sale :p

I'm keeping costs down by painting it myself but not the main frame as that's fine and I don't trust myself to spray large bits. Have bought a silver touch up pen on a best guess eyes vs colour on cap basis by taking seat unit into Halford's and settled on a generic silver pen (not Honda, BMW etc) which I've tested a spot on the seat that had a 2mm chip, let it dry and it looks an almost perfect match so will do the rest of the main frame touch up in due course.

Started cleaning up the parts to be sprayed first in engine degreaser, then soapy water and once dry a final wipe over with 99% alcohol
    [​IMG]

First coat of etch primer. I ditched my usual Hammerite Smooth Satin Black as I'm spraying the yokes and Hammerite doesn't work on alloy without a special primer that my preferred motor factor place didn't have so went Simonez with their Etch Primer + Tough Coat Satin Black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First coat of Satin Black on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned the loom at the same time as degreasing the metal parts as it had some old sticky electric tape and a bit dirty. Its now fairly clean and ready for a bit of a tidy up re-wrapping with new tape in places I'd removed the old tape
    [​IMG]

7. Kermit

Mobster

I'm at the initial stages of reassembly now but my first problem is with this pic I took before stripping the bike down...its lacking the components and could have done with more angles

[​IMG]

I have found just this one pic of a back box area of another persons bike, hopefully I'll be able to use that with my own pics to figure out where the wires go and in some case, where some of the wires connect to

[​IMG]

8. Kermit

Mobster

Committed to getting the loom in place properly - I think I might have it right but sods law likely dictate I'll have some wire feeding to the back box area that shouldn't be there and I'll have to remove/loosen the swingarm support (the main black bit now fitted) to reroute it later

[​IMG]

I just hope I can figure out where some of these wires go
    [​IMG]

9. Kermit

Mobster

Anyone actually interested or should I just post updates elsewhere?

10. russell664

Mobster

I've been following, just not posting! :)

A very good log so far, i've never seen one of these before.

11. mattup

Hitman

I've also been following, just not posting! :)

A very good log so far, keep going!!

Matt

12. tom_e

Man of Honour

Same here always follow these sorts of threads but rarely have anything constructive to input.

13. Kermit

Mobster

Good to know I'm not posting for zero readers :)

Mon 23rd March

This isn't the original location of the regulator as thats still lost on me but a few holes (that were already indicated/dimpled) and it fits. I'll probably find the real location sooner or later but this'll do unless I find something else that needs this space

[​IMG]

Picked up a few new Cap head allen bolts today and tightened up the suspension
    [​IMG]

This is where I'm up to at present. Not sure if the next step is wheels on or engine in....I think the engine
    [​IMG]

14. Kermit

Mobster

Tues 24th March

I gave the engine a bit of a clean and rub with wire brush but to finish it off to get rid of grime in the crevices took it outside, gave it the gunk treatment, wait 10mins & hosed down - its clean enough for me now
    [​IMG]

Fitting the engine....believe it or not, only 2 bolts hold it in. Still it took me 3 goes of bolting it in place then having to release it again to reroute breather tube + 2 sets of wires on the right side of the black suspension/swingarm bracket before I was happy
    [​IMG]

Attempt #2 - Breather can't go here, too close to rear brake, couldn't go other side either or right behind engine in between swingarm pivot as clearance too tight....found a way in the end...I shortened it :p
    [​IMG]

The loom between engine and CDI/Electricals had this and was also too long. Looks like due to it having an engine change from 50cc at some point, the wires of the new engine needed to join the original connector. This is the wrong way to do it + the resulting wires about 12" too long
    [​IMG]

My way
    [​IMG]

Cleaner now although in hindsight probably left too much loom in place, could do with 4-6" shorter
    [​IMG]

Electrics slowly sorting themselves out but have a few loose wires and a question. The circled red thing is the starter relay yes? As this engine doesn't have a starter, can I remove that?
    [​IMG]

Current State
    [​IMG]

Current State #2
    [​IMG]

15. mattup

Hitman

Looking much better. Your in line splices are top notch.

Matt

16. Kermit

Mobster

Made some progress yesterday. Have committed the electrical connections in the rear black box,put the cover on and fitted the rear wheel and also the seat
    [​IMG]

Struggled a bit to figure out how the stands springs fitted with relation to the flat bracket but figured it out in the end
    [​IMG]

Fitted front wheel, its getting there now
    [​IMG]

17. BongoHunter

Wise Guy

Looks lovely! Nice work :)

18. Slyman

Gangster

Looking good

19. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Would love to have a poke around one of these. I am working on a busted up grom at the moment, and not posting a thread on it due to not wanting to flood the forums with all my own build threads :D

Happy to watch someone else's! Keep it up!

20. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Some of us don't have garages so can't work on bikes and have to just read / watch others do it. Get a thread up man! :D

OP, been reading and not posting. It's certainly a quirky bike but it's very cool to see it being rebuilt.