1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madass 155cc Project tidy up

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Kermit, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Kermit

Mobster

Good to know although I am looking into new clocks (speedo/revs/gear etc) as the speedo isn't working with regards to speed and while it could be the magnetic pickup (£10), I've checked the pickup and its 2 wire connector with multimeter and magnet and it does fluctuate the ohms reading as a magnet passes the pickup so I think £10 on new pickup sensor might be wasted and I should go straight for new clocks which would likely have L&R indicator warning lights so perhaps I'll bypass the issue that way.

I'm thinking about these clocks https://www.ooracing.com/speedo-mph...light-gear-position-indicator-fuel-gauge.html

this is more or less that default clocks but mine is slightly older with just one indy warning light

https://www.ooracing.com/speedo-suitable-for-madass-125-oe-style-with-back-up-battery.html

2. Malt_Vinegar

Don

They do have GPS speedos available if you want to avoid having to sort that out?

3. Kermit

Mobster

I hadn't considered GPS speedo but just had a quick look on ebay and they don't look great imo, about the same price as a new one with more functions (revs/gear) so think I'll stick with the leaning towards new unit but appreciate you taking the time to reply with that option :)

4. Kermit

Mobster

Monday 27th April 2020

Fitted Mirrors
    [​IMG]

The new Switchgear/Brake. Bleed the front brake
    [​IMG]

Standard Clocks - I've ordered a replacement now due to speedo not working & wanting something with revs & individual L&R indicator warning lights
    [​IMG]

Chain & Passenger footpegs Refitted
    [​IMG]

Exhaust Mounting
    [​IMG]

Rear End with new LED indicators
    [​IMG]

5. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Hold up, this is capable of carrying more than one person?! :o

6. Kermit

Mobster

Apparently yes :D

7. Kermit

Mobster

14th May 2020

New Clocks arrived. Its basically a copy of the much more expensive KOSO RX-2N clocks like this but for £23.99 I'm not complaining other than the fact the box didn't contain wiring instructions/diagram although I've found this myself thanks to Google

Indicators wired in and L & R dummy lights now work. Having a bit of a snag with power/backlight in that it needs +12 ignition switched, +12 constant (to maintain clock) & negative but when I give it just the +12 on one or other of the +12v feeds it doesn't power on, if I give it both it comes on fine but backlight is on which should really only come on with the main lights. I'm sure I'll figure it out or make do with backlight always on
    [​IMG]

Temporary wire from CDI pulse generation to the new clocks for rev counter. There's supposed to be a Blue/White wire up front near headlight/main connectors which I think also carries this signal but I can't seem to find it. If I can't, I'll have to run this wire from back to front as neat as possible
    [​IMG]

9 pin connector for new clocks, some wires in (3 for indicators...which work), the others are still in progress while I figure out power/backlight issue
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to get the gear indicator function or fuel gauge working as I don't have wires/fuel sensor

8. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Backlight always on makes sense to me when you think about larger modern bikes with digital displays, the backlight is on all the time along with sidelights / running lights. The switched live on yours just turns on the display, which the backlight is part of.
    It may have the ability to run without backlight but maybe the default until you've wired in light signals is for it to have the backlight on?

For the fuel and gears, you'd need to add in a fuel sender/float (almost impossible I'd think with that tank) and a gear selector sensor thing along the lines of what @Malt_Vinegar did with his bike, although he replaced a neutral indicator switch with a gear indicator switch of the same fitment (but extra wiring).

9. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Agreed with above, backlight always on for most LED stuff. Same on my modern Grom. Drain is very low anyway, so I would not worry too much.

https://www.ooracing.com/neutral-switch-1-n-2-3-4-up.html - gear selector switch, which i think will do for your engine. No need to make it like I did, as this uses a lot of generic parts, I had to make on for the CBR as an upgrade part did not seem to exist.

Might be worth speaking to ooracing to confirm though :)

I did a bit of googling, and there was a madass version with a fuel warning light, not sure it was a proper linear one, just a light that comes on for reserve. So, there may be a sensor available somewhere.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  10. Kermit

Mobster

Thanks both, I hadn't realised a gear switch was something that was available separately although my bike strangely has gears in the order N-1-2-3-4 so I'd need this one but I don't think I'll bother as I have enough wires (main loom + revs from cdi) running up the underside of main beam and don't fancy adding 5 more plus I can't figure out how they actually sense the gear selected but I guess if they make it, it must work.

Fuel would be more useful but doubt it'd be doable properly with a linear sensor so probably not worth it given I have a fuel tap now with main and reserve which is good enough for me

I've now managed to sort out the wiring and tucked all the wires away now + found an old metal bracket which along with some rubber stalks with long bolts through them has allowed me to mount the clocks quite high up so the raised bars don't obscure them. That black plate at the front is just a cover the previous owner must have made up to cover the gap between lights/wires and clocks with the raised bars. I'll perhaps look to beautifying that next but for now it'll do
    [​IMG]

Clocks as seen from riders view point.....they're not faulty, I am giving it a few revs for the pic :D
    [​IMG]

Next up, I have to figure out how to change the backlight colour (supposedly 7 colours) and what the various other step though numbers/settings do when putting it in config mode. Some are obvious like wheel circumference and another with the value that goes from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 6 to 8 [which will be cylinders for revs sensing so I left that at 1] but others not so obvious although I'm sure google will help me work the others out and whether any need adjusting from default

11. Malt_Vinegar

Don

The gear selectors are very simple. Each wire to the sensor is actually a ground (earth) from an LED or number in the unit.
    There is usually a single 12v+ into the indicator (or Speedo in your case) unit for the gear display and as the selector rotates in the engine casing, it grounds out on each different sensor tab. :)
    It's pretty simple when you think about it, not much in terms of complexity when you know!

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  12. Kermit

Mobster

thats the bit I can't figure out. does the sensor sit outside the case ON the shaft as normally when I select a gear, the gear change lever and therefore the shaft its connected to it moved up or down say 15-20 degree, then it returns to the same place ready for the next gear.

Or does it not sit on the shaft but something else inside the gearbox?

13. Malt_Vinegar

Don

[​IMG]

See the thing with wires on it below the front sprocket?
    It's a push fit little sensor that may or may not have an arm or bolt holding it in place.

I will see if I can find a pic of it on my 110 monkey engine. It's likely to be very similar.

*Edit*

Looks like it may be above the sprocket on your engine.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1637546359...S-lGJM4FZEOlbpbR-A4dFyy146zVD_HAaAnIpEALw_wcB

You can see it here above the front sprocket, assuming yours is similar :)

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  14. Kermit

Mobster

Found it. I guess whats already in place is only for Neutral which I haven't yet been able to get working. I'll recheck my wires from the engine as I redid them earlier in the thread and may well have decided not to do the Neutral line (or not noticed it).

[​IMG]

I have been for short run to a couple of shops for some essentials this morning on it, its working well, no issues and while the handling is a lot different from my Fireblade, its still quite good fun and a nippy little thing :D

Some [almost finished] pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd quite like to get the fork bottoms done properly (powder coating) as they let it down but that's for another time. Here's probably what I'd go for colour wise, a dark metallic grey which I had done for a previous restoration projects forks (Honda NC30)

[​IMG]

15. Malt_Vinegar

Don

Awesome. I really want one now :D
    It just looks like such a fun little bike to work on!!

16. Kermit

Mobster

I think you have that same view of them I had for a year, then I scratched that itch :D

In many ways easy to work on except for the electrics which might just be me but I guess acceptable given I went all out replacing switchgear/clocks for new items with non-stock connectors/wire colours.

Definitely draws interest though, stopped at my local corner shop earlier on it and when I came back out someone was curious as to what it was and had a bit of a chat about it after pointing at the make/model in BIG stickers on the frame to answer his first query