Made in Britain?

Soldato
On the rare occasion you see something with a label "Made in Britain" does that make any difference to how you feel about the item and it's quality?

Man of Honour
The last proudly "Made in Britain" thing I bought was some headphones a few years ago, I went through a couple of pairs under warranty before just giving up and buying some of Chinas best which lasted forever in comparison.

It's not something I look at as a magic mark of good quality.

Soldato
I try not to buy too much Plastic **** From China and particularly for gifts look for UK and handmade stuff. Some things you plainly can't avoid like any type of electronics but otherwise yes. I stopped buying HP sauce when production was moved the Netherlands and make a distinct effort to buy a UK made brand. For many things it's not even worth looking because I know there won't be a comparable UK product but I do try and favour UK manufacturers where practical.

Caporegime
I try not to buy too much Plastic **** From China and particularly for gifts look for UK and handmade stuff. Some things you plainly can't avoid like any type of electronics but otherwise yes. I stopped buying HP sauce when production was moved the Netherlands and make a distinct effort to buy a UK made brand. For many things it's not even worth looking because I know there won't be a comparable UK product but I do try and favour UK manufacturers where practical.

Which brands of brown sauce are produced in the UK?

Soldato
I use to be really in to Made in England shoes. Loake, Barker those sort or brands. Fantastic shoes and I was happy to spend the notes for something that I couldn't get anywhere else. Italian smart shoes are fine, but not hard-wearing enough.

Now both those brands I believe make large quantities of shoes in China. I still buy the made in England version which are higher priced, but wear them less due to taking a more casual look.

I also owned a civic type r EP3, which whilst Japanese, was assembled in the UK. I was proud our automotive industry could run automated production lines. Lol

Other than that I don't care for anything made in this country. We're not very good at stuff anymore.

Soldato
It makes me look a bit harder at the product, usually to check if it actually is made in Britain or like many sellers are doing now finding out its actually "designed" in Britain and made in China.

Soldato
The quality is almost always better. But same with Made in USA or Europe somewhere tbh.

I never buy car parts made in China because they are almost always terrible quality and fit. You also have to be careful of fraudulent claims on the quality of metal from China, it's pretty rife. Stainless steel from China is likely to be contaminated and start rusting.

Last edited:
Associate
Back in 2003 I bought an MG TF. It was incredibly badly built, came from the factory with paint flaking off and rust underneath, interior trim panels that didn't match and the (non adjustable) camber so far out that it ate the inside of the passenger side front tyre. The head gasket went twice and it had several electrical faults.

The dealer network was also terrible.

I eventually replaced it with a BMW Z4 which didn't go wrong and was basically a quality product.

I don't avoid British made stuff, I want British companies to be successful and produce quality stuff, but that car kind of beat any notion of our inherent national superiority out of me. :)

Soldato
Lots of shooting clothing and accessories used to be British made and the quality was excellent. American made shooting wear and gear was equally good and often cheaper as the Yanks have a huge and very competitive market for such things.

Check the label carefully and support local manufacturers.

Soldato
Back in 2003 I bought an MG TF. It was incredibly badly built, came from the factory with paint flaking off and rust underneath, interior trim panels that didn't match and the (non adjustable) camber so far out that it ate the inside of the passenger side front tyre. The head gasket went twice and it had several electrical faults.

The dealer network was also terrible.

I eventually replaced it with a BMW Z4 which didn't go wrong and was basically a quality product.

I don't avoid British made stuff, I want British companies to be successful and produce quality stuff, but that car kind of beat any notion of our inherent national superiority out of me. :)
mate, not to be harsh, but there was plenty of warning that MGs (by that stage) were terrible. That decision is entirely on you lol.

Back
Top Bottom