Made in England

Associate
DelightfulWealthyFanworms-size_restricted.gif

First thing that popped in my head when i saw the thread title :D

Commissario
Most stuff from China is rubbish though isn't it, no British safety standard kite marks!
That depends entirely on if you're buying random tat's 50p charger from ebay or say Amazon or Apple's chargers which will also most likely be made in china but with the retailer checking the quality.

Given much of your computer will likely have been made in China....

China can and does make quality stuff, but it depends on if you're paying for quality or going for the cheapest possible item.
Also IIRC many of the the old British Standards were incorporated into the EU standards at the time, and those became required for devices sold in the EU (although a lot of that certification is now left to the manufacturer/importer/retailer).

People seem to have rose tinted glasses when looking back at the "golden age" of UK manufacturing, when in reality a lot of what we made was no better than could be bought from elsewhere, it was just all that was available or in the UK (people forget things like the different TV standards that were largely to protect local manufacturing* which led to higher costs to the consumer), my dad remember the "hayday" of British car manufacturing when you had the choice of a car with a reliable engine or a car with reliable bodywork...

There is also the fact that in general people don't want to pay for longer lasting/higher quality stuff and complain that "the new X doesn't last as long as they did 20 years ago", forgetting that X might have cost a weeks average wage in the 70's, but only a quarter or less of the average wage today for an entry level one.
My mum used to say about how the neighbours thought they were extravagant for buying a tumble dryer in the 70's, I think she said it cost most of a weeks wage (my dad at the time being in a reasonably well paid job), these days most people will have a tumble dryer and they start at about £100 (which will likely last 5-10 years).

*Hence a mix and match of sound and video carriers, where one country might use PAL I with one sound carrier, another might use PAL II with the same sound system, a third might use PAL I with a different sound carrier etc.

Soldato
And then* I asked you "Yes, what exactly?" I am trying to get more specifics, or are you just going to refer me back to google?

The post that you quoted is my final edited version...what are you on about regarding the editing?

* then refers to following on, not the original post. You can keep doing that but i clearly said THEN, which you quoted.

I came in to this thread with your post 51.

And you say "The post that you quoted is my final edited version." Forget about the goal posts. Talk about moving the pitch.
I quoted your post did I not. In the post 51 you changed the post 20 mins later. Or 16 mins after I quoted you.

Do you really think people are going to keep looking back at your posts? NO.
And again you never ask me for a example. But use google to help you.

I can understand now why members here bypass your posts.

Caporegime
I came in to this thread with your post 51.

And you say "The post that you quoted is my final edited version." Forget about the goal posts. Talk about moving the pitch.
I quoted your post did I not. In the post 51 you changed the post 20 mins later. Or 16 mins after I quoted you.

Do you really think people are going to keep looking back at your posts? NO.
And again you never ask me for a example. But use google to help you.

I can understand now why members here bypass your posts.

Look, he said "Made in America" "Plastic"

I asked "what OLED TV or Phone" as both of these have plastic parts. I could have picked many others but I like to see what items he is referring to specifically.

I was taking to him, in which YOU interjected with "YES"

So I then redirected to you "Yes what exactly"

Then you went on about goal post but refuse to name the items that I was asking for.

You talk about goal posts, I was asking about particular products and now all you want is talk about me and my posts!

Soldato
Yes I'd pay more to support Britain and local business, I make a point of it where I can, the money going into the local economy gives people here jobs and improves standards of living, people will be less tempted to turn to crime if there are jobs available. It all trickles down. I imagine all the self hating apologist lefties are in here saying they don't care about little Britain and they'll just buy the cheapest product

Caporegime
Yes I'd pay more to support Britain and local business, I make a point of it where I can, the money going into the local economy gives people here jobs and improves standards of living, people will be less tempted to turn to crime if there are jobs available. It all trickles down. I imagine all the self hating apologist lefties are in here saying they don't care about little Britain and they'll just buy the cheapest product

And the recipients of your money go on to buy cheaper stuff from overseas, your actions are merely a delay. :p

Caporegime
It’s liberal lefty to buy the cheapest functional product now? Pretty sure that is a definitive right wing argument, but ok.

Honestly.

Soldato
Regarding China, if it wasn't for China we wouldn't have had such a growth in technology over the last 30 years. If it wasn't for the fruit and veg farms of Spain and north Africa, we wouldn't have access to some of the fruit and veg we get all year round.

I dispute that. We'd still be as innovative, we'd just still have factories and more people not in the middle class in western nations as we'd have to still have factories here. Silicon Valley after all is in the USA, how many fabs are in the USA?

Soldato
The world today would look very different.

The everyday luxuries we take for granted would not be as available. People don't realize that the efforts that go into mass production are responsible for why everyone from children to beggars have a touch screen hand held mini computer in their pocket.

There was a time where hardly anything used Bluetooth and then boom, it was the norm for everything with a speaker to have it.

Much of this technology would exist but how available would it be and how much use would it have to the average person?

Caporegime
The world today would look very different.

The everyday luxuries we take for granted would not be as available. People don't realize that the efforts that go into mass production are responsible for why everyone from children to beggars have a touch screen hand held mini computer in their pocket.

There was a time where hardly anything used Bluetooth and then boom, it was the norm for everything with a speaker to have it.

Much of this technology would exist but how available would it be and how much use would it have to the average person?

Globalism was he single greatest charity we’ve ever achieved, of course it’s the ‘wrong kind’ when it doesn’t directly allow people to feel vindicated and self aggrandised though, funny that.

Soldato
It’s liberal lefty to buy the cheapest functional product now? Pretty sure that is a definitive right wing argument, but ok.

Honestly.

No, it's lefty to be against the promotion of British products because any hint of Patriotism or wanting to promote your own country is considered to be Far-right Nationalism. There's a load of people who are now promoting themselves as European rather than British since the referendum.

It must klll him to type on a Made in China phone, bloody apologist lefty phone!

What a moronic post. I have nothing against goods made in other countries. It's obvious that cost of living prohibits us from manufacturing a lot of cheap goods here, I would just choose to buy British products where a suitable alternative exists.

On a side note I actually like other countries, I enjoy travelling, I make efforts to learn the local language (yes more than just Gracias), I like learning about other countries history, cultures and I respect local traditions when abroad.

Back
Top Bottom