Magni 3

Soldato
I've used nothing but my HE400is since I got them, I love the things, so any thoughts I have posted are using the 400is.

The difference between the HE400i and HD650 is that the HE400i is clearer, with deeper and much better defined bass and far more detailed highs. The HD650 has more lush and forward mids but the 400i also has very good mids, just not so "in your face". If I could only pick one of the two it would be the HE400i without hesitation.

Associate
IMPULSE BUY!! I already owned a Magni 2, decided to "upgrade" to the Magni 3 and purchase a nice hardware EQ controller at the same time in the form of a Schiit Loki. Warms up the sound nicely without having to adjust any pesky software EQ in Windows. Pah, non-audiophile nonsense.

DhH1o0z.png

Yes, I know the amplifier is at the bottom. Suits me fine, as I don't want dust getting in the air holes and the heat can still escape out between devices.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
IMPULSE BUY!! I already owned a Magni 2, decided to "upgrade" to the Magni 3 and purchase a nice hardware EQ controller at the same time in the form of a Schiit Loki. Warms up the sound nicely without having to adjust any pesky software EQ in Windows. Pah, non-audiophile nonsense.

DhH1o0z.png

Yes, I know the amplifier is at the bottom. Suits me fine, as I don't want dust getting in the air holes and the heat can still escape out between devices.

Nice setup, I've been thinking of getting the same for home, can I ask, did you get hit for customs and if you used Fed-Ex how much did they charge on top of the custom charges?

maj

maj

Soldato
So I was all set to finally buy a Schiit stack (Magni 3 and Modi ultra) and when I last checked their website the magni was due back in stock on the 19th which would just happen to be pay day but alas they're back to no ETA. I don't think this is ever meant to be.

Soldato
I must have been very lucky, I got one of the second batch right at the beginning of November :)

It shows as in stock on the US site, so it's likely they have had a batch of finished boards in, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few popped up on the EU site over the next few days.

maj

maj

Soldato
Still nothing. I also noticed that they have the Modi 2 Uber in stock.... if you want one with a Euro plug adaptor. Supply and demand must be too much for them at the moment but longer this goes on, the more I'm tempted to look into other options.

Soldato
It may be a good idea to order the Modi 2 now if it's the base model you want, as those are in stock in the UK but not in the US. No shortage of Modi 2 Uber or Multibit though.
Seems they have had major delays from their board supplier, which has held up both Magni 3 and Modi 2 production. This should be filed under the heading of "Schiit happens". :D

There aren't really many competitors out there when it comes to price and sound quality. The Chinese stuff is decent for the money but not up to the same sound quality as Schiit unless you get into Yulong & Gustard territory but those are not cheap. The only UK based O2 manufacturer disappeared over a year ago, so that's not a convenient option either. You could pair the Modi 2 with an Arcam rHead, which you can get for £160~£170. It isn't quite as powerful as the Magni 3 but should sound good and will power most headphones. The main drawback is the lack of pre-amp features, so you can't plug active speakers into it but it should have very decent sound quality, though it's likely to run warm as it is a class A amp. Another possibility is the Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which comes in around the £160 mark but would prove cheaper than the Schiit stack as it's an all in one. It's a USB plug type unit, so has no physical volume control but on the plus side it does use an ESS SABRE 9016 DAC chip and can push out 2.1V, so should drive most headphones adequately.

Back
Top Bottom