Major (Stealth) pension changes to penalise mixed aged couples

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/blog/2...-need-to-check-their-benefit-entitlement-now/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-benefits-for-mixed-age-couples

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this but if I'm understanding it correctly if your in a mixed aged relationship you will not receive your full state benefits (Pension credits) until the youngest partner is of pension age, until that age you as a couple will have to claim Universal Credit.

"As well as all of the conditions attached to working-age benefits, the amounts available are very different. For working age couples the level of Universal Credit is £114.85a week, as it has been for the past few years owing to the benefit freeze. In contrast the level of Pension Credit is £255.25 a week (from April 2019), up from a current £248.80.

So for a couple with no other income Pension Credit is worth over £140 a week - £7,300 a year - more than Universal Credit. The key point though is that the effect will last for as long as one of the couple remains under pension age, so if the younger person still has 10 years until they become pension age (i.e. they are now age 56) the total loss would be £73,000."

I think this is insane and was slyly slipped in on the eve of the Brexit vote/deal, I am ten years older than my partner so the example quoted above hits home very hard, I've worked since I was 15 years old, I just can't believe that mixed aged couples are being penalised like this.

Soldato
It's fine though, we have plenty of migrant EU workers who move back home by the time then are 40................. oh wait. :p

I'm not a fan of the Tories but this is a problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. I'm only 25 but I'm being realistic and i could easily see not having a state pension at all by the time I get to that age.

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of the Tories but this is a problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. I'm only 25 but I'm being realistic and i could easily see not having a state pension at all by the time I get to that age.

Hah I'm just over 10 years older than you and seeing my pension age rapidly disappearing into the distance as it is.

Associate
This does not affect State Retirement Pension, which is based on National Insurance Contributions.

This is the elderly version of Universal Credit - Pension Credit.

If you have worked all your life then you are very unlikely to claim Pension Credit.

Why should someone who is working age and not in gainful employment (claiming benefits) not be required to 'look for work' just because their partner has reached state pension age? There will be no work conditionality for the person who has reached state pension age.

Soldato
This does not affect State Retirement Pension, which is based on National Insurance Contributions.

If you have worked all your life then you are very unlikely to claim Pension Credit.

Why should someone who is working age and not in gainful employment (claiming benefits) not be required to 'look for work' just because their partner has reached state pension age? There will be no work conditionality for the person who has reached state pension age.
Thanks for the explanation. This actually seems pretty fair then.

Thank for clarifying this.

I guess this thread is a lock.

MODS!!!?

:)

Soldato
Regardless if you don't plan to rely on it, you paid into it all you're life, its yours it shouldn't be allowed to be tampered with.
The tax you pay in today is for today's pensioners it doesn't get ring fenced (despite what the government says) hence why you can expect a whole host of changes (all bad) between now and when you retire.

Soldato
So... why do pensioners requiring an income top-up get so much more than working age households?

from The Independent:
"He said a couple expecting to receive £13,273 in the 2019-20 financial year from pension credit would see that figure fall to just £5,986.68 under universal credit."

Surely living costs will be similar(?)

Soldato
Because they've been the biggest most significant voting demographic for the past two decades so policy gravitates towards them.

Also because our benefits system operates independently and in silos of each different area, something UC was supposed to begin to fix.

Back
Top Bottom