Major U.S. airlines warn 5G could ground some planes !

Soldato
For once I feel sorry for the telcos. They have bought the spectrum for I think 150b from the FCc between them, and faa and airlines have had ages to prepare but still not moved fast enough.

telcos going to be wanting refunds or compo soon.

Soldato
For once I feel sorry for the telcos. They have bought the spectrum for I think 150b from the FCc between them, and faa and airlines have had ages to prepare but still not moved fast enough.

telcos going to be wanting refunds or compo soon.
Why is it the airlines fault?

I'm assuming airlines have been using this technology before 5g was a thing, so surely the fault is with the FCC for selling off a spectrum that should not be used.

Soldato
5g turned out to be a load of crap anyway, just scrap it tbh. Unless you live within a 100 meters of the mast and no one else in the area is using it, its flakey as hell :p

Soldato
How come using the neighbouring 3300-3600 MHz and 3550-3700 MHz bands used globally for LTE (4G) didn’t cause this issue?

Because people are having a panic attack over nothing, I use RF frequencies all the time for my hobby, I could use a frequency within 25Mhz of someone else and it would be absolutely fine with zero interference. Obviously you need to be 100% certain when it comes to vital equipment like an altimeter but surely they have multiple systems in place for added redundancy.

EDIT: On second thoughts and having read the pdf linked previous, it seems the output power could be a problem, as I am limited to 100mw RF and 25mw video, these 5G masts are probably in the KW/MW range I would guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because people are having a panic attack over nothing, I use RF frequencies all the time for my hobby, I could use a frequency within 25Mhz of someone else and it would be absolutely fine with zero interference.

That reminds me when I used to race radio controlled cars. Everyone had to be assigned a different radio frequency otherwise suddenly someones car will set off driving outside of the owners control.

Soldato
Because people are having a panic attack over nothing, I use RF frequencies all the time for my hobby, I could use a frequency within 25Mhz of someone else and it would be absolutely fine with zero interference. Obviously you need to be 100% certain when it comes to vital equipment like an altimeter but surely they have multiple systems in place for added redundancy.

EDIT: On second thoughts and having read the pdf linked previous, it seems the output power could be a problem, as I am limited to 100mw RF and 25mw video, these 5G masts are probably in the KW/MW range I would guess.

Maximum EIRP for 4G base stations is 43 dBm or 20 Watts in old money. I think 5G is allowed to be more powerful than that, but not by a whole lot and certainly not in the kW/mW range.

Soldato
WX radar is much higher power (75km/40nm+ range) so the received pulses are also higher power and therefore above the O/P power of the 5G masts at the range that a plane would be from them. Sat Downlinks AE's are generally placed on the top of the aircraft and that shields them somewhat for almost all stages of flying just due to the height the aircraft are flown at. Neither systems are considered safety critical during a landing phase so I can see why there's little issue with them so far.

Rad Alt's on the other-hand are uniquely at risk due to their low power TX/RX (only 2km/1nm range) which puts the power levels of returned pulses much closer to the levels output by 5G masts, after propagation due to distance, plus they're downward facing as well so they aren't shielded by the airframe and finally they are considered to be safety critical during the landing phase.

So it's mostly a "power" issue rather than directly due to the spectrum used?

Still don't understand why the FCC licensed the band below for communication if there was/is the possibility of affecting a band used for aviation :confused:

Back
Top Bottom