Making a desktop PC capable of Wifi, how?

Soldato
I have a desktop PC, currently connected via an ethernet cable to my BT hub/router thingy. Want to move the PC to a bedroom upstairs without any hard wiring, so need to use the hub/router's wifi connection.

So how do I go about this? Can I just buy a USB Wifi dongle like this one? Or should I be using a PCI card like this one? These two I've picked somewhat randomly, maybe there's other hardware I should be looking at?

Which would be best for me to take advantage of the new super fast fibre connection I signed up for?

Man of Honour
the small usb dongle will have a weaker signal - unless it is one with a massive antenna - so less range/speed

jfyi: considered a powerline adapter?

Soldato
powerline is fine if your connections are on the same circuit, otherwise not so great.

get a decent wireless pcie card and install it in your pc rather than a dongle

went powerline>dongle> pcie card for mine rather than running cables and it was 30mbs/100mbps/300/mbps although my iphone still pulls a far better speed at just shy of 400 mbps sitting on top of my pc

Soldato
More to the point what are you using it for? If you're not gaming or transferring big files argueably any adapter that works will be fine.

Associate
I have been using an Asus PCE-AC68 wireless adapter in conjunction with my Asus RT-AC68U router for years and it works brilliantly for a wireless alternative. I get about 80% of my max speed with it.

Soldato
802.11n and 802.11ac both increase the basic speed of the WLAN radio by adding channels together.

802.11a and 802.11b only ever had one channel, so they max out at 22mbps and 11mbps on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz channels respectively. 802.11n allowed two channels to be combined for 54mbps which requires 2 transmitting and 2 receiving antennae (2x2). 802.11ac gets you up to 4 aggregated channels but only if both sides of the conversation are 4x4. Your BT hub is most likely 3x3 802.11ac so there is no point getting a 4x4 802.11ac or 802.11ax card, because your router won’t be able to do anything with the extra channels. Hence I suggested a 3x3 WLAN card. It’s also worth noting that because 802.11ac is a ‘listening’ system, if you have anything 1x1 or 2x2 on your network, the hub will drop back to the speed of the slowest signal. That’s the major improvement with 802.11ax - it can use its radios to have multiple speed conversations with multiple speed clients at the same time.

This is one reason why wireless wire would be a good solution for you. You’ll get the full 1Gbps speed on a cable with no contention from slower WLAN devices.

Back
Top Bottom