Making a murderer - The Avery case (Spoilers)

Soldato
I'm aware that there's already a thread on this buried in the US TV series sub section but given the traction this is gaining in the media across the world, I thought it was perhaps a good idea to put the discussion surrounding the case(and not necessarily just the TV series) infront of the wider GD audience.

Mods, feel free to delete if necessary or rename the thread to something less TV show orientated.

I watched the first episode of this series on Netflix purely by chance; immediately gripped I've now finished all 10 within the space of 3 days... What a mind ****.

If anyone is interested in this, the show is now available on UK Netflix and some background information on the case(s) can be found on Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery

Avery:
Having looked further into the case and various threads on Reddit uncovering some evidence that wasn't outlined in the documentary, I'm still on the fence. Yes, he could've murdered her but it was a completely unfair trial and more individuals should be held accountable or examined. The two investigators who were centre stage, phoning in the car type before it had been found... The dodgy ex-boyfriend who had somewhat of an ongoing infatuation with her(from the looks of things) who somehow managed to delete vital voicemail evidence from her phone. Good debate that here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMur.../halbachs_exboyfriend_ryan_hillegas_not_only/
The brother in law who was called out on the stand for blatant lying...

Brendan:
This is the most shocking part. The way the defence and prosecution were working together to build a concrete case against Avery using his mentally "disabled"(for lack of a better term) nephew. This case, IMO, should've been thrown out; I can't imagine what the jury must've been thinking during the retrial when all evidence suggested he was stitched up and coerced into making exaggerated statements. His interrogator was in tears in the stand...What was that about...

I won't progress further with any spoilers until the mods are satisfied the thread is suitable for GD.

Other than that, what's the thoughts from those who are familiar with the case?

Associate
I'm in agreement with your spoiler, from the series its hard to think he's anything but innocent, its completely geared up for that portrayal. I think the only thing that is clear is that both trials were completely unfair. I'm shocked at how badly it was all treated; processes just not being followed.

For me they did not prove that he did it, the evidence at best was questionable and without his nephews statement they didn't really have anything on him.

I feel that if the police did frame him then its gone too far now and they'll have to keep up the pretence he's guilty. If they free him a second time I can't help but feel that it would then be open season for others to want retrials.

Soldato
Thread on US TV forums.
On the dark unjust side though however, this goof would have committed some other crime anyway, he's the fall guy for a family of crooks.

Man of Honour
Caporegime
I see spoiler tags as unnecessary in a thread dedicated to a thing. If you've not caught up on whatever TV show is being discussed then don't read a thread dedicated to it.

Back
Top Bottom