Making best use of multiple drives on XP Pro?

Associate
Hi, currently using a single WD 250gig SATA drive with my system. I'm looking to get a second hard drive, maybe a WD Raptor (SATA).

What I want to do is have all Windows and Program files on the Raptor, and everything else on the second drive. Few questions I have :-

- Would the swap file be better on the Raptor or the 250gb drive? Would it be better in its own partition?

- I've looked at the MS Knowledge Base article on moving the Documents and Settings folder to another location. Will this mean all temp files, internet temp files, cookies and so on get stored in wherever I move the Documents and Settings folder to?

- Any other hints and tips?

Cheers

Associate
Rather put the page file on the 250. You should get a bit more performance from your system and it'll stop u going crazy (rap...rap...rap...raptor). Also why not go for a 37gb raptor and get a second 250 for raid0. Its only gonna cost £26 more and then u can install your games on the raid partition. Should help with load up times

Associate
The way I do mine is to have a couple of Raptors in RAID 0 for Windows and all applications, games, etc.

On my third 200Gb drive which mainly holds data, image files, etc., created a small partition - about 5Gb or so - and stuck a second page file on there. Windows has algorithms to supposedly use the page file on the drive with least activity. Also - set your page files to about 2x your memory and make the initial size and the final size the same so that it does not dynamically expand/shrink. This can also help performance.

Back
Top Bottom