Making hot chocolate and good sized cups/mugs

Associate
I'm looking for something to be able to make really good hot chocolates at home. I've had an electric milk frother before but got rid of it as it only could make about 150ml at a time.

Can anyone recommend any good milk frothers/steamers in the price range of up to 150/200 quid?

And do anyone know where I can get hold of a good sized cup/mug? I'm looking for something in the range of the large sizes at Costa/Starbucks.

Pet Northerner
Don
if you're wanting more than 250ml (the hotel chocolat velvetizer - which is the dogs ******** btw), you're best off with a pan and a thermometer IMO.

Or if you're into coffee, get an espresso machine with a good steam wand and use that :)

Associate
OP
I just heat the milk in the microwave and then use a milk frother. It isn't noticeably different from 'luxury' hot chocolates from cafes if you use decent cocoa / chocolate powder.

I've tried to do that but seem to not be able to get the milk evenly hot. But will try give it another go.

if you're wanting more than 250ml (the hotel chocolat velvetizer - which is the dogs ******** btw), you're best off with a pan and a thermometer IMO.

Or if you're into coffee, get an espresso machine with a good steam wand and use that

Not tried to heat the milk in a pan, but will give that a go. I don't drink coffee at all, but I've thought about getting a espresso machine to use the steam wand to heat the milk.

Pet Northerner
Don
I've tried to do that but seem to not be able to get the milk evenly hot. But will try give it another go.

Not tried to heat the milk in a pan, but will give that a go. I don't drink coffee at all, but I've thought about getting a espresso machine to use the steam wand to heat the milk.

Tip with the pan: don't heat high, just go nice and steady on a low heat and use a whisk to mix your chocolate in :)

Associate
OP
Tip with the pan: don't heat high, just go nice and steady on a low heat and use a whisk to mix your chocolate in

That sounds very sensible! Thanks for the tip! :) I've ordered a thermometer and some syrups to use for the hot chocolates. Tomorrow morning I will head to Tesco and get some marshmallows and possibly some more chocolate powder.

Pet Northerner
Don
That sounds very sensible! Thanks for the tip! :) I've ordered a thermometer and some syrups to use for the hot chocolates. Tomorrow morning I will head to Tesco and get some marshmallows and possibly some more chocolate powder.

ooh glad you got a themometer, aim for about 68-70c and leave it there for a couple of minutes :)

Soldato
I'm looking for something to be able to make really good hot chocolates at home. I've had an electric milk frother before but got rid of it as it only could make about 150ml at a time.

Can anyone recommend any good milk frothers/steamers in the price range of up to 150/200 quid?

And do anyone know where I can get hold of a good sized cup/mug? I'm looking for something in the range of the large sizes at Costa/Starbucks.

I use the milk wand on my coffee machine to make hot chocolate but prior to that I'd heat in the microwave and use one of those little electric whisk things to try and froth it up.

Regarding mug, I use a Le Creuset Grande mug as it's a perfect size for hot chocolate or if you fancy a bigger cup of tea.

Soldato
I'm actually shocked and disappointed that none of you mentioned this mug.....

WC086OE_118114_750x750.jpg

It was my pride and joy until it fell of my desk and lost its fight with gravity. I must buy another one really, could fit a good amount of tea in and wide enough for a variety of biscuit dunking

Soldato
Who on earth wants a cup with a computer shop logo on?

I do. I loved mine and would buy another one if our mug cupboard wasn't low on space.

Who cares what's on the outside of it? Unless of course you like having matching mugs then I can understand. We have a few matching ones and everything else is novelty/unique mugs. It felt like it held more tea than my Le Crueset one so it wins the 'what can hold more of my chosen beverage' competition.

Not that anyone asked but this is probably my favourite mug in our household

93ca6652-e5c9-4a7d-8e7d-54f7d681d708.jpg

Soldato

Also since Ocuk sell mugs, I guess we can't mention other mug shops. Drat.

As far as hot choc goes I heat the milk in a pan. Only sensible method since I'm normally doing it for the entire family. I tend to mix all the cocoa powder with sugar, cinnamon and a tiny amount of salt and smoked paprika together in a big cup with a bit of milk. Whisk it together the fill the cup with heated milk before adding the whole lot back to the pan.

Me and Mrs Leblanc have Bailey's in our. The kids just get marshmallows and squirty cream.

Soldato
mine changes colour, to remind you drink is cooling ... flat base to avoid keyboard toppling, although, thats probably not in the interest of a computer hardware seller.

Steamed milk hot chocolate with an espresso machine, tastes different to uwaved/hob heated chocolate, or using frothers.
but , with espresso machine, it can be difficult to cook the cocoa sufficiently ... I need to try white chocolate, apparently you put some cornflour in too.

if you want to push boat out https://www.cfw.co.uk/Belgian-Drinking-Chocolate/Dualit-Cino-Milk-Steamer
Bellman Stovetop Steamer Overview

Back
Top Bottom