Man attempts to burn 51 school children alive

Soldato
They've gone out of their way to say "Italian driver" at the beginning of the headline, when they could have said "driver hijacks and torches school bus full of children in Italy".

In psychology this is called priming and it happens all too often in BBC news articles.

It happened in Italy and the driver is Italian. Should it say "Former Senigal man, now with Italian citizenship, tries to touch bus with 51 children aboard"?

What if it happened here and the guy was called Owen Jones? "Welsh maniac tries to toast 51 children (nationalities, parent's marital, socio-economic status unconfirmed)"

Genuine question

Permabanned
OP
What's your point OP - what do you think about it?

I think two things should happen. Whoever was lax enough, or maybe even liberal enough to miss or ignore this man's record yet deem him fit to drive other people's children around in a public service vehicle should be fined heavily and fired.The driver should be imprisoned for 20 plus years, no remittance, and his citizenship, should he survive the incarceration period, be revoked. A VERY close scrutiny should be made of his friends and family to see if there's a terrorist rather than political motive. I also think Italy should stick to its guns and continue to impound any vessel attempting to put illegal migrants ashore on the coast of their country, and to correctly process any migrants already there, however long it might take, and however much they rebel,scream and riot. If they misbehave they should lose any right to stay.

Soldato
It happened in Italy and the driver is Italian. Should it say "Former Senigal man, now with Italian citizenship, tries to touch bus with 51 children aboard"?

What if it happened here and the guy was called Owen Jones? "Welsh maniac tries to toast 51 children (nationalities, parent's marital, socio-economic status unconfirmed)"

Genuine question

I don't think it even needs to say the nationality of the driver. If it happened in Italy, or Wales, and that person was Italian or Welsh, then including the nationality is tautological unless they were foreign. I care more about where something happened and the BBC headline doesn't give you that.

Permabanned
OP
Chris, I edited you original post rather than deleting it, I agree with the sentiment and empathise with the awful situation. I hope you appreciate the mild tweaks, I concur with the sentiment entirely, just work on the linguistics/narrative?

Hi, thanks for the kindly and pleasant post, to be honest I can't even see what you have changed, it's not cost me any money and the gist of my message remains, so no worries and have a good weekend "Will Gill" :)

Associate
I read the thread title as 'My attempts to burn 51 school children alive' and wondered where this this was going...

Very happy to see that it wasn't actually the OP assuming responsibility for this atrocity though.

Caporegime
The BBC are a disgrace calling the driver Italian, tells you a lot about how much the BBC has fallen when they 'print' rubbish like that.

Indeed he’s been naturalised for 15 years, as far as I’m aware that makes him officially Italian.

So... no.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It seems like they’re emphasising him being italian to draw away from the fact that a migrant did it. Thats what he is. He’s got Italian citizenship, but he’s no doubt a migrant.

Would there be as much of a furore had he been British instead?

I mean besides the rediculous attempt to murder dozens of kids, just the single issue of where the guy came from.

Last edited:
Soldato
He was definitely an Italian citizen, but the main story is that he's originally from Senegal where Islam is the main religion, if he had been a far-right activist then that would clearly be in the headline; he wouldn't have been described as Italian.

Permabanned
OP

I mean besides the rediculous attempt to murder dozens of kids, just the single issue of where the guy came from.

"Rediculous" apart from the spelling is a strange adjective to choose. Appalling, monstrous or similar might be the choice of most people. Ridiculous gives this dreadful attempted killing of 51 kids something of a Keystone Cops, farcical nature, where it was a serious attempt at mass murder of innocents, verified in intent by the perpetrator allegedly stating "no one will survive". Can you not imagine the sheer terror these kids must have endured? The only ridiculous element was he was actually given a job as a bus driver in the first place. As to how much of a furore would there have been if he had been a different nationality, as I have yet to see this mentioned on the TV news from the BBC, I have to say they seem keen on playing this act down and giving it as little main stream coverage as possible, for whatever editorial reason...

Caporegime
How brown is he? That's the point of contention here with the headline

I think you're assuming that the main cause of anti-immigration sentiment is racism? Based on skin colour?

As opposed to cultural problems?

I'm going to flat out say that many of these African countries have cultural practices that are absolutely abhorrent and do not fit with western society. And that statement has nothing to do with skin colour.

And you can't disagree because you know it's true.

Soldato
I'm going to flat out say that many of these African countries have cultural practices that are absolutely abhorrent and do not fit with western society. And that statement has nothing to do with skin colour.

And you can't disagree because you know it's true.

Really? What's your experience?

I'm going to flat out say that I've spent years living in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. A small sample, granted, but please enlighten us on your own experiences.

Caporegime
Really? What's your experience?

I'm going to flat out say that I've spent years living in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. A small sample, granted, but please enlighten us on your own experiences.
Reading/watching the news.

Using Google.

Listening to other's stories.

Your implication is clearly that only first-hand, local experiences can are valid. Therefore I must ignore your positive evidence/story, just like I must (why?) ignore everything I read/hear whilst not physically living in Sierra Leone (etc). Because reasons, I guess. Funny that in 2019 when you can read about any country in the world via this new-fangled global network I keep hearing about, that only first-hand experiences are valid when drawing conclusions.

e: I guess 9/11 never happened - I wasn't there to see it. I guess the girls in Rotherham never got abused - I wasn't there to see it. Can't believe anything in the news eh!

Back
Top Bottom