1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man city escape ban! [Update 14/2/20 - 2 year CL ban]

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by Mark1989, Aug 13, 2019.

1. BaZ87

Don

City are unhappy with how the matter has been dealt with, basically saying they were found guilty before the investigation began.

2. MagicBoy

Capodecina

They're guilty, so yeah! Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

3. explicit4u

Sgarrista

I'd love if this is like a red card appeal, and if they lose they get a longer suspension :D

If it's upheld for next season, this makes the CL race even more interesting.

I would've thought UEFA wouldn't be able to dock points in the PL, and it seems pointless to do it in the CL group stages too.

4. rebel rebel

Mobster

Excellent news. Kick em out the premiership too.

5. BaZ87

Don

Dale Johnson seems confident that CAS will hear the appeal before the start of next season. City could actually miss out on the CL next season. That really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Sheffield Utd in the CL.
    The PL have their own FFP remember. If UEFA successfully prove that City didn't just break FFP limits but they lied and cheated their way around them then there will be huge pressure on the PL to investigate and take their own action.

6. Azza

Caporegime

That's Pep off then.

7. Mark1989

Capodecina

I thought the same as well, plus if ban upheld which it should be then be interesting to see how it impacts there transfers

8. Stretch

Capodecina

yeah, Sheffield Utd will be nailed on next season :p

9. chroniclard

Capodecina

Woah that's some example being made.

10. mysticsniper

Sgarrista

Depends if they take the same stance as they did with Chelsea, who also appealed but were still banned.

11. Shamikebab

Caporegime

They'll appeal and it will be overturned.

12. BaZ87

Don

I have to say there's a cynical part of me that thinks this is all a bit of a sham and that UEFA fully expect to lose an appeal to CAS. UEFA will get to pretend that they done their part, City remain in the CL and UEFA don't end up bankrupt. You have to remember that the initial punishments handed to City and PSG were cop-outs with the FFP disciplinary panel wanting to ban City but Infantino negotiating a compromise of a slap on the wrist.
    This isn't quite right. Chelsea received a 2 transfer window ban and appealed to CAS. In normal circumstances Chelsea could have had the ban suspended until the outcome of the appeal however Chelsea chose not to request this, reportedly as they feared that would result in a longer ban if they were unsuccessful. In the end Chelsea had their ban reduced from 2 windows to 1.

13. Tombstone

Capodecina

So will this mean that 5th place will be a CL slot?? Thats some serious motivation for the likes of Sheff Utd. Theres no way in hell Pep will sit at City for 2 years with no CL

14. Colonel_Klinck

Wise Guy

MANEXIT!

Time for Abu Dhabi to buy UEFA.

15. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

If the ban is upheld does that mean top 5 get champions league?

16. BaZ87

Don

You mean 5th place I assume and yes that would be the case if the ban is upheld and begins next season. It would also mean that, assuming City beat Villa in the League Cup Final, 8th place would qualify for the 2nd round qualifiers for the Europa League which is good news for Utd.

17. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Looks like Liverpool just gained a load of new fans then. :p

18. doodah

Capodecina

I'm sure the appeal will halve or wipe out the ban. However one of the charges are that they seriously misled UEFA which sounds quite serious.

19. omnomnom

Soldato

Any ban and they are finished. Cheats, simple as that.

20. MikeTimbers

Soldato

should be a retrospective two-point deduction on last year's PL