Man identified by Mail as Ipswitch Murderer: dead

Caporegime
The newspaper offered a formal apology to Mr Roberts and agreed to pay compensation.
Freedom of the press is all well and good, but when we have papers of the quality of the Mail, one cant help thinking restrictions are warranted.

Associate
That's bad. The Mail have been pushing their luck for a long time.

That could have happened to any of us... I suppose it's like being convicted for rape or something when you KNOW you didn't do it. it doesn't matter it you're found innocent, you're tainted for a long time.

Man of Honour
Chronos-X said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6336529.stm

Great :rolleyes:

The Mail have blood on their hands now.

Nice emotive language and conclusion jumping there...

Police said the deaths were being treated as "unexplained", but not as suspicious at this stage.

Unless he's been murdered (with no other motive) or committed suicide (with evidence to suggest this was the sole cause) how can the paper possibly have blood on their hands?

Permabanned
If it turns out that the murder was taken out because of a mis-guided vigilante then, IMO, new legislation should be brought in so that suspected criminals are not named or shown in the media until found guilty.

Caporegime
iCraig said:
If it turns out that the murder was taken out because of a mis-guided vigilante then, IMO, new legislation should be brought in so that suspected criminals are not named or shown in the media until found guilty.

What murder?

Man of Honour
iCraig said:
new legislation should be brought in so that suspected criminals are not named or shown in the media until found guilty.
it should have always been like this innocent till proven guilty and all that

Soldato
pfft, whatever you thoughts on this case, the Daily Mail is a thinly veiled excuse for a tabloid at the best of times.

Mr Roberts was mistakenly identified in the Daily Mail as Steve Wright, who has been charged with murdering the women.

It doesn't matter the circumstances of this chaps recent demise, he shouldn't have been identified in the press as the man responsible for the Ipswich murders before a formal police identification had confirmed the identity of the person responsible.

It smacks of the same ugliness as the incident where some ignoramus targeted a paediatrician with threatening behaviour (or offensive graffiti or whatever it was) because they didn't know the difference between a paedophile and a paediatrician.

But hey, whatever sells more newspapers /cynic.

Permabanned
DevilsAdvocate said:
OT - Craig, is College on tomorrow? All schools in dudley have been closed by the authority and I can't get hold of Linden or Nadia =\

No idea, I've heard that a lot of schools are cancelling already due to the snow warning but i haven't heard anything.

I hope so though :D

Back
Top Bottom