Man killed as thieves take car from outside his house

Man of Honour
I was just reading up on this very sad story, most of you have no doubt seen it in the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39684850

A former Royal Navy officer has been killed by thieves who stole his car from outside his house.

Mike Samwell, 35, died after confronting intruders who broke into his home in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Greater Manchester, at about 03:00 BST.

Shouting was heard outside the property and he was found badly injured in a parking area behind his home. He died in hospital a short time later.

Police believe he was run over by his car, a black Audi S3, which was taken.

A murder inquiry has been launched and officers are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which happened on Cranbourne Road.

Mr Samwell suffered multiple injuries in the "tragic" incident, police said, although they are not yet sure how many times he was struck by his vehicle.

Fortunately I have never been in this position, but I'd rather just hand the keys over and let the scumbags take my car rather than die or be seriously injured over some metal that's insured anyway.

A car can easily be replaced, a person can't.

Man of Honour
Wondered when I heard about it if was the same people that nicked one from near the same place in an older thread on here :s

Soldato
Happened just round the corner from where my partners parents live, so know the road pretty well.

I assume the guys instinct was just to try and scare the thieves off, whereas you should really just be thinking of handing over the keys. A car is replaceable regardless of the cost, a life isn't.

Soldato
I know the police and people in general say to just let them take it and not bother them but if you saw someone breaking into your property and or car it's natural to want to stop them. Would you just stand there and watch them get on with it without the need to retaliate?

Soldato
This is exactly the sort of reason more people are starting to carry knives for self defense again. Less police around, crims are bolder and you can't rely on anyone to help (they would rather film it on their phones).

Caporegime
I was just reading up on this very sad story, most of you have no doubt seen it in the news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39684850

Fortunately I have never been in this position, but I'd rather just hand the keys over and let the scumbags take my car rather than die or be seriously injured over some metal that's insured anyway.

A car can easily be replaced, a person can't.

The difference between you, I and him is he was a Royal Navy Officer. Most likely in his training and instinct to try and defend himself. I don't know what I would do if someone tried to take my pride and joy. Although the thieves would have to get past my dog, move two cars off the drive, open the garage and drive the car out. Yes policing is pretty poor now but I would have thought they would be able to respond by then.

Soldato
I know the police and people in general say to just let them take it and not bother them but if you saw someone breaking into your property and or car it's natural to want to stop them. Would you just stand there and watch them get on with it without the need to retaliate?

"Let the gangs win" menality means giving in to thugs, you'll get more crime, and cocky thieves because they know they won't get shot.

Associate
A close member of my family as this happen to them. They smashed in the front door at night, found the keys on their hook and were gone before anyone could even get out of bed. Instructions from the police were to leave the keys in an obvious location so that they don't venture upstairs...

Soldato
Horrible.

Back to the OP, would car insurance cover it with the keys being taken from the house?

Friend had this recently. Broke into house, stole keys for car, and then took the car.

Car insurance pointed at house insurance, house insurance pointed at car insurance.

Haven't spoken to him again since but it sounded like a horrible situation to be in when you've paid cash for your brand new car :(

Caporegime
Should be covered by car insurance I'm pretty sure, but they won't pay out if the properly wasn't appropriately secured (i.e doors unlocked etc) and the thieves walked straight in.

Man of Honour
OP
As long as the house is secure, surely car insurance have to cover it? Not that it's difficult for them to gain entry to most places no matter how secure it may be, they can break a window and be in and out within a minute or so.

Keeping your keys hidden isn't a great idea as it puts you in even more danger.

Back
Top Bottom