Man killed as thieves take car from outside his house

Soldato
I know the police and people in general say to just let them take it and not bother them but if you saw someone breaking into your property and or car it's natural to want to stop them. Would you just stand there and watch them get on with it without the need to retaliate?

TBH, if they were in my house, I would do everything I could to get them out. Realistically though, the moment a burglar hears a noise from upstairs, sees a light turn on and maybe some shouting, they **** themselves and run off. If they get the keys to my car and try and flee in that, depending on what my options are at the time, I may try and stop them, as is natural. I wouldn't put myself at risk to do so though and certainly wouldn't put myself in a position they could run me over!

This is exactly the sort of reason more people are starting to carry knives for self defense again. Less police around, crims are bolder and you can't rely on anyone to help (they would rather film it on their phones).

The notion of carrying a knife for self defence is an idiotic one. Firstly, if you carry a weapon, you've more likely to have that weapon used on yourself than actually use it on someone else. Secondly, I'm not in the habit of chasing people down and stabbing them, even burglars. Thirdly, bar getting them out of your house/away from the immediate vicinity, why would you put yourself at risk to go toe to toe with a desperate criminal, especially when you have the option to withdraw. If you carry a knife, three things are likely to happen - you will use it on someone and go to prison, you will have it used on you and potentially die or you will be caught by the police with it and go to prison. All for what? A fully insured car? A TV? A mobile phone?

Soldato
Actually if you use a knife on a burglar in self defense, you won't get done even if you end up killing them. It does happen. Also who will even know they were ever there besides you and them? It's not like they are going to call the police and say you stabbed them while they were trying to rob you :p

If people just give in and make it risk free for them, there is no deterrent.

Soldato
Actually if you use a knife on a burglar in self defense, you won't get done even if you end up killing them. It does happen.

Self defence is a very complicated defence though and requires you be dragged through courts with a murder/manslaughter charge hanging over you before you *may* be found not guilty. A good tip to avoid this is to not stab burglars unless you strictly have to and have no other option. Routinely arming yourself with a knife is likely to drop you in hot water 99 times out of 100.

Also who will even know they were ever there besides you and them? It's not like they are going to call the police and say you stabbed them while they were trying to rob you :p

Mr and Mrs Smith probably aren't the "Breaking Bad dissolving bodies in a bath tub" kind of people :p

If people just give in and make it risk free for them, there is no deterrent.

If you're a burglar, how do you know that your burgling a house with a bloke in it who gives in, or wants to put a machete through their neck? You don't - hence the deterrent is always there. The best way you can not be a victim of burglary, is to make sure you close/lock your doors and windows. The majority of burglaries are walk in types, with the second most common being an unoccupied property where they steal jewellery. It is EXTREMELY rare that you have a burglary where the offenders have confronted the occupier or not left as soon as they've heard movement.

Man of Honour
If you're a burglar, how do you know that your burgling a house with a bloke in it who gives in, or wants to put a machete through their neck? You don't - hence the deterrent is always there. The best way you can not be a victim of burglary, is to make sure you close/lock your doors and windows. The majority of burglaries are walk in types, with the second most common being an unoccupied property where they steal jewellery. It is EXTREMELY rare that you have a burglary where the offenders have confronted the occupier or not left as soon as they've heard movement.

So many people make themselves an easy target :( my dad was loading up the back of a vehicle the other day, ok in a decent neighbourhood but with quite a lot of people passing by, with expensive electrical equipment making no attempts to hide what it was and several times just wandering off to do other things leaving the back all wide open unattended - I just happened to pass by and notice by pure chance and faced palmed mentally several times while keeping an eye on it. On the flip side at least he doesn't have the mentality of a criminal I guess.

I haz 4090!
Don
Horrible news. I've ordered a Golf R and I've had to replace the locks on my doors just to make it harder to break in without me noticing. Lock snapping is becoming more and more common, and a lot of the time it makes little noise and you don't realise until you come down in the morning and the door is open and the drive is empty. Shouldn't be like that, but there's always people that are going to want what you have and are prepared to take it. :(

Permabanned
If I paid £50 000 for a top range car I'd want built in security that
ensures my car will remain immobilised till I want to start it, not just any scrote who pinched the key.

Maybe a second line of security is needed, having the key or remote is not enough to gain entry.

My £250 laptop won't fire up unless the correct password is put in.
Car manufacturers have that technology, voice recognition ? fingerprints even ?

Man of Honour
ensures my car will remain immobilised till I want to start it, not just any scrote who pinched the key.

Maybe a second line of security is needed, having the key or remote is not enough to gain entry.

What if you have no hands?

What then?!

Soldato

Can't remember if it was on this forum, or another forum i read, but some guy had rigged up a button for the fuel pump in a secret location. So without turning it on, even if you had nicked the keys, you wouldn't make it very far.

Man of Honour
Can't remember if it was on this forum, or another forum i read, but some guy had rigged up a button for the fuel pump in a secret location. So without turning it on, even if you had nicked the keys, you wouldn't make it very far.

Its a better system really - though you might end up with the car burnt out half a mile up the road - but fingerprint starting, etc. will likely just end up with them forcing you to start/configure it for them if you have anything half desirable - possibly under threat of violence to the rest of your family, etc.

Soldato
Its a better system really - though you might end up with the car burnt out half a mile up the road - but fingerprint starting, etc. will likely just end up with them forcing you to start/configure it for them if you have anything half desirable - possibly under threat of violence to the rest of your family, etc.

I would just go full on Jason Statham on their ass. :D

Don
If anyone breaks in to my house to steal my car they can have the keys. I will even start it for them.
Not worth the risk and I will do whatever it takes to get them out of the house and away from my family.

Soldato
Horrible news. I've ordered a Golf R and I've had to replace the locks on my doors just to make it harder to break in without me noticing. Lock snapping is becoming more and more common, and a lot of the time it makes little noise and you don't realise until you come down in the morning and the door is open and the drive is empty. Shouldn't be like that, but there's always people that are going to want what you have and are prepared to take it. :(

The most secure locks you can buy are about about £50 each and can't be broken in to by snapping, picking, drilling or bumping. Not a lot to properly secure a whole house.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Its a hard one and though I do not do it on purpose I tend to leave my keys in a tin not in sight so an intruder would no doubt end up confronting me, not great. Probably something I should change and just put the keys in plain site (not from outside) but once your in easily seen so no chance of confrontation. Because even if I was Rambo, being woken up by some hardened thief ready to rumble, well you have little chance as your still in zombie sleep mode.

I do hope however I will not be targeted, both cars are out of sight from the main road but directly looked over by two houses opposite and they are on a locked gated driveway so in order to steal the car they would need the key to the car, they would also need the key to the gates which is not with car keys. They would need to remove steering lock again keys are not with car key and the car is insanely loud and completely unique in the way it looks. As such I would just hope any thief would think that is way too much hassle and a car to easily recognisable, we will move onto the next one.

Fortunately the Mustang does not seem to be popular with thiefs at all, I know of no reported stolen ones, so fingers crossed that is how it stays, there was fear they'd be like Focus RS all over again but fortunately they are not.

I haz 4090!
Don
The most secure locks you can buy are about about £50 each and can't be broken in to by snapping, picking, drilling or bumping. Not a lot to properly secure a whole house.

That's what I've replaced them with.

At the end of the day if they want your car, they'll get it. The goal is to make it too much hassle or make it too noisy for them to bother with, and they'll move onto the next one.

Back
Top Bottom