Manchester United: Frustration

Soldato
sunama said:
On the subject of Cech, after yesteredays heroics, he has kept 7 clean sheets in the premiership in a row. Schmeichel was good, but I just dont remember him being so good.

Well considering Schmeichel holds the record for most clean sheets in the Premiership, 176 out of 388 games, I think you have a bad memory. So to sum that stat up he kept clean sheets in 45% of the games he played in. Do you purposely avoid praising any player who played for us? Schmeichel is probably the only true player I could say was the best in the world in his position during his playing days at Old Trafford.

Soldato
Good game against blackburn, was gettin really nervous comin upto an hour when we hadnt scored yet, startin to think it'd all gone downhill.

Best football I've seen them play in a long time though after the first half, Blackburn only had it out of their own half for less than 10 minutes, just constant pressure and I love it when we play like that.

Shame about Vidic, just hopin that isnt gonna be our down fall. I think by far the best option we have now is to play Rio and Heinze in the middle, Evra on the left and Wesley on the right. Evra isnt injured is he?

I dont understand why Heinze didnt move into the middle and put O'Shea at left back yesterday actually, I think Heinze is much better than Wes at centre back and O'Shea is as good as either side.

I think if we can play the way they did yesterday and not panic about injuries then I think we can start to talk about the treble, if they carry on playin that well, I cant see any team comin close to that standard, they were unbelievable yesterday.

Caporegime
Linoge said:
Well considering Schmeichel holds the record for most clean sheets in the Premiership, 176 out of 388 games, I think you have a bad memory. So to sum that stat up he kept clean sheets in 45% of the games he played in. Do you purposely avoid praising any player who played for us? Schmeichel is probably the only true player I could say was the best in the world in his position during his playing days at Old Trafford.

I honestly think Schmeichel is the only keeper ever who you could contemplate being the best ever (in terms of a football and their positions).

i.e. he's up there with Pele/Maradonna/Best

Soldato
anksta said:
I dont understand why Heinze didnt move into the middle and put O'Shea at left back yesterday actually, I think Heinze is much better than Wes at centre back and O'Shea is as good as either side.

Thats the position he plays for Argentina. Can't understand it myself as he is a pretty good man marker, good header of the ball considering he is not the tallest centre half in the world.

Speaking of Argentina. Copa America this year. Can't wait. Always a fest of great goals, dirty challenges and fine South American Ladies :D

Soldato
BaZ87 said:
You sure he holds the record; didn't MOTD mention something to David James about only being 2 mins away from breaking Seaman's record of most clean sheets in the EPL?

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.r...ews.NewsItem&categoryCode=NewsSpecialFeatures

I stand corrected. But he has the best clean sheet/game ratio in the Premiership. It would stand to reason David James has the record seeing as I think he is one of the few players to have played in every Premiership season.

Are you sure your name isn't statto Baz? :p

edit: Every site I've been to has a different figure for the amount of games he has played in which would mean a different game/ratio percentage.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Linoge said:
I stand corrected. But he has the best clean sheet/game ratio in the Premiership.
You might have to stand corrected again too, I'm sure I heard Cechs clean sheet/game ratio is somewhere around 60% although he hasn't played anywhere near as many games of course:)
As for who's better, I'd say Cech is better in some depts (his kicking & cross taking for instance) whereas O.R.N. was better in others, making himself big & one on ones etc. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
JohnnyG said:
You might have to stand corrected again too, I'm sure I heard Cechs clean sheet/game ratio is somewhere around 60% although he hasn't played anywhere near as many games of course:)
As for who's better, I'd say Cech is better in some depts (his kicking & cross taking for instance) whereas O.R.D. was better in others, making himself big & one on ones etc. :)

Damn, corrected twice on the same day. :(

I'm off for a wee lie down now. :D

If there is a keeper out there that can do as much for their club as Schmeichel did for us then it's Cech. The one thing that excites me about Ben Foster returning to us this summer is how much he reminds me of Schmeichel in certain areas.

Soldato
Personally, I doubt he will ever compete for the No.1 spot with Van Der Sar. VDS really is a top class goalie. I believe he is ranked No.1, ahead of Cech, in the Premiership this season (according to some stats based websites).

I think when VDS retires though, Foster will be looking to take over. Im not sure about Foster though. Ive seen people like Rossi who get hyped up a lot, but in reality are not even good enough to play for Newcastle's 1st team :eek:

With youngsters, they have to make immediate impact (like Rooney, Owen). If there is no immediate impact, you are relying on them improving and for some reason this doesnt often happen. Goalkeepers though tend to reach their peak at a later age, so Foster still has time to deliver.

Soldato
Linoge said:
If our current position was offered to us at the start of the season would you have taken it?

yeah but I dont think you can start sayin that, just seems like an excuse. We could have definitely played better today against Pompey, poor performance. You can say what you like about tiredness and games comin up but we should be able to beat Portsmouth.

Blackburn scored last week in the 39th or 42nd minute, somethin like that and then from pickin the ball out of the net we were up at them, puttin balls in, down the flanks and gettin forward.

Same story today in my eyes, concede in the first half and aside from maybe 20 mins worth of play in the entire match, we just meandered forward without any conviction and even in the 89th minute there didnt seem to be much urgency to get the ball up the pitch. It was unlucky what happened with the goal, I think VDS had a shocker today and maybe Kucszak shouldnt be given a dig at it.

Soldato
i had a bad feeling about this pompy game, and tbh it was due, we were not at our best before scholes was sent off and the first half at blackburn was not great, if we keep going 1-0 down then sooner or later someone would hang on to the win - we have two home leauge games in a row now and chelsea have 2 away leauge games so lets hope we can get 6 points from them and see if chelsea can match us.

Associate
Scholes didn't play well yesterday. Carrick should have stayed on and Scholes changed for Smith...

I was really impressed with Smith for the short time he was on. He seemed to have the urgency about him that others were lacking...

Back
Top Bottom