Maritime jobs

Permabanned
Looking to have a go on the sea for a year or 2 see how it goes

Had a search but can't find anything to get into it.

Basic stuff on a vessel just looking fir sine input if anyone has or does do it.

Pet Northerner
Don
Anything to start with just out at sea

With zero experience you can always work on a cruise ship. Cleaning, shopwork etc.
Otherwise you're probably going to have to go to a maritime college to get some kind of qualification to become a deckhand, such as an Efficient Deckhand Certificate. Then continue to work in college to become an officer.

Permabanned
OP
Offshore oil and gas is my industry, mate. It doesn't sound like that's the direction the OP wants to go in? Although if it was, it's the right time because it's getting very difficult to recruit trades offshore right now.

Vacancies aplenty, Captain. Oh arr. :)
Hi bud message me just want a start

Soldato
Computers, supervisor manager logistics.
Ah, not my area but you could give these guys a try. Although I'd imagine their roles were predominantly onshore. On first impression, your skillset doesn't suit an offshore role, unless you decided to move into something completely new.

Soldato
Probably want some advice from these guys . https://www.seacareer.com/

I went though all of this when I left the RN and was offered all sorts of jobs around the Middle East with some serious money on offer ( engineering ) , was 25 plus years ago though so it’s probably changed a great deal since then. My brother when he left the Royal Marines worked for Saga for 3 years as ship’s security and said apart from one incident ( Off the coast of Tanzania ) it was the biggest jolly up he ever had.

As we are aware from recent news employment law at sea is very questionable so as a deck hand your likely to be exploited , a lot of recruitment is from poorer parts of the world

Bottom line is if you have a skillset that can be used it’s handsomely rewarded , if not stay clear as it’s hard work with low pay.

Oh BTW seaman Staines , Roger the cabin boy and Master Bates all existed during sometime in my career.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you're keen on IT maybe try and get into the yachting industry, AFAIK on the really big mega yachts they'll have IT/AV type techs in the engineering department. There must be some industry forums where you can ask about it, though I guess with the popularity of shows like Below Deck and the seizure of Russian oligarch vessels perhaps there are fewer positions available right now and more people trying to get into that sort of work? Certainly seems like it could be well paid though, especially with tips on a charter vessel.

It’s you who is looking for advice. Why don’t you message him with specific questions rather than expect him to spoon feed it to you?

It seems to be the standard thing these days on social media, have seen it both under adverts and posts relating to employment - people just reply with "dm me" etc. definitely doesn't come across too well.

Back
Top Bottom