Markings on Oven.

Soldato
Not sure where to put this or where to ask, we have a gas oven and all of the markings for the dials have been rubbed off over time.

Is there anyway to get this back or any way of working out how to mark them back on?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You might be able to find replacement dials if you Google the model number, I'd imagine they just pop off.
Failing that you could use an oven thermometer.

Soldato
OP
You might be able to find replacement dials if you Google the model number, I'd imagine they just pop off.
Failing that you could use an oven thermometer.

Just checked and completely forgot the markings are on the actual oven and not the dials.

Wouldn't a thermometer be a bit of a pain?

Man of Honour
In that case you may be a bit stuffed then, it would be a bit of a ball ache. Then again you could always get one and use it to remark the oven yourself I suppose if you've got the time.
Then you wouldn't need to use it every time.

Soldato
OP
In that case you may be a bit stuffed then, it would be a bit of a ball ache. Then again you could always get one and use it to remark the oven yourself I suppose if you've got the time.
Then you wouldn't need to use it every time.

Could do, it's going to be a nightmare to do it with both ovens.

Hopefully it packs in and we have an excuse to get a new one.

Man of Honour
As others have said, thermometer is the best bet. It's much more useful to get an idea of what the real temperature is rather than the manufacturer-provided incredibly inaccurate temperatures.

Thermometers aren't that much of a pain really. You wouldn't need to use one all the time - just take the temp at a certain setting and then write it on the dial (or a number to represent it).

Associate
...similar problem. I have a Belling XOU594 oven with markings all rubbed off. Until I get a new fascia (on 4 weeks lead time) I just need a photo of the front of an identical oven - or anything to allow me to turn the knobs to the right temperature! Can someone please help??

Soldato
My god....

In the scheme of life's problems.

Just put a thermometer in it, or just eyeball the dial. I mean, it's not difficult, all the way up is hot, medium is medium.... Etc, it's not like you are conducting precise science experiments where accurate temperatures are essential.

Soldato
My god....

In the scheme of life's problems.

Just put a thermometer in it, or just eyeball the dial. I mean, it's not difficult, all the way up is hot, medium is medium.... Etc, it's not like you are conducting precise science experiments where accurate temperatures are essential.

Nope, it's important to know a specific temperature or within +/- 10c for any given recipe, and more so if baking cakes, bread, souffles etc. You can't really just generalise with 'hot' and 'medium'. I once baked a cake at 180c and the edges were overcooked and a bit hard. I was advised to take it down to 160c, and that made a big difference.

I use a thermometer all the time, but I set my dial to the temperature I want and wait until the thermometer gauge shows it before putting food in the oven. Without the dial settings, you'd be forever adjusting it until the thermometer only goes to the temperature you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom