Marrakech holiday info / advice

Soldato
Hi all,

Had a search but only found a couple of 8+ year old threads.

Anyone been recently?

Was thinking of going for 3 nights - with a group of 4 adults.

Not really into sitting about, more up for some sightseeing etc.

Is 3 days in Marrakech itself enough, too many, just right?

Any 'must visit' places or things to check out?

All info is welcome :D

Thanks!

Permabanned
Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice:
We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Morocco.

There is a high risk of terrorism in Morocco which may target places popular with tourists such as hotels, bars and beaches.

Soldato
OP
Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice:
We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Morocco.

There is a high risk of terrorism in Morocco which may target places popular with tourists such as hotels, bars and beaches.
Hmm thanks for the heads-up! Will have a re-think maybe

Caporegime
Morroco hasn't had one terror attack on British citizens has it?

I went to Marrakech about 5 years ago and it was fine. We stayed in a Riad right near the souk and it was fine. Best nights sleep I've ever had actually.

We only needed 2 days (1 night) there though as there wasn't a huge amount to do.

Soldato
OP
Morroco hasn't had one terror attack on British citizens has it?

I went to Marrakech about 5 years ago and it was fine. We stayed in a Riad right near the souk and it was fine. Best nights sleep I've ever had actually.

We only needed 2 days (1 night) there though as there wasn't a huge amount to do.
That's what had me thinking - I've heard of people having been more than 10 times and another went recently - but obviously doesn't mean something can or can't happen

Hmmm

Associate
The important thing to remember with that FCO advice being issues is that it will probably affect your travel insurance. Well worth checking it out before booking anything

Soldato
Are you looking to stay in the old town or the new town?

We stayed in the old town in a traditional Riad which was lovely, but as westerners, we stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the locals.

It wasn't overly intimidating, you had some chancers who would offer to guide you to the souks (obviously for a fee).

There's also some good museums and beautiful gardens to have a look at.

Nearer the main square is much more touristy, and if you head over towards the new town, it's full of branded shops and luxury apartments, and now looks just like any European city.

If you do entertain going, i would definitely recommend finding a nice Riad in the old town to get a good experience.

Caporegime
That was basically my experience as well Semple. I paid a kid a tiny amount of money to lead us to one of the museums.

Wasn't intimidated in the least. Just had to look out for the occasional moped driving through the tiny streets.

Soldato
OP
Sounds great. I think it seems a good area to visit and luckily shouldn't suffer the issue of standing out too much.

Reckon we'll stay in the old traditional area to get the proper experience.

Good point on the travel insurance - will get a quote!

Thanks all!

Keep any info coming :)

Permabanned
What a surprise Chris Wilson posts something like that ;)

You mean the Foreign and Commonwealth Office are deliberately posting incorrect information to destroy the Moroccan tourist trade? Or I made it up? A quick Google for the original poster showed it show up on the ten most dangerous countries to visit list and cited the 2017 dated British government advice I quoted.

I think I was very restrained <LOL>

Associate
Marrakech is an unmitigated **** hole. The Menara "Gardens" is just one big stagnant pond with dead fish floating in it. There is a big, impressive looking mosque that you can't go in. The thoroughly uninteresting Saadian Tombs are thoroughly uninteresting. The local "authentic" tat you can buy in the souk is basically the same tat you'll find in the home section of TK-MAXX, except three times the price (seriously). The Yves Saint Laurent gardens are probably a highlight but still really not very impressive at all. For your evening's entertainment you can stroll through the Medina and, for a small fee, join a circle of American tourists to watch the locals abuse animals on leashes or even force their special needs friend to balance a glass jar on their head for the amusement of all. Once you have seen 30 seconds of a snake being charmed you've seen enough. Make sure you like Tajine, because after 4 nights of it you will be bored. All Tajine basically tastes the same anyway as it is so heavily spiced, so that should come as no surprise.

The only decent thing was the Rghaïf (Flat Bread) and the spice market bit.

There are a thousand better places to go. It was probably the most disappointing place I've ever been to. Lot's of my friends seemed to enjoy it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that most people never to want to admit to themselves that they had a **** trip somewhere. It is not the interesting scene of Tangiers from Indiana Jones that you might be expecting.

Sorry if I've ruined your trip.

Soldato
My wife and I had a wonderful trip to Morocco a couple of years ago. We spent the first week based in Marrakech. Sure was longer than you really need but we did a couple of day trips for example cooking day on a farm, trip to thr coast to Essaurioa, day out quad biking/camel riding and a day trip to base of Toubkal (highest peak in Atlas Mountains). We stayed in the old town in a nice quaint riad. They're fairly basic in terms of facilities but that was fine with us. Had good wifi, free bottled water, nice breakfast and a comfy spacious bed. Not much more needed to be honest as we only really slept there. The markets are nice to explore but most of the stuff I agree is tat but you can get some real bargains if you haggle well and a little bit of French and few Arabic phrases go a long way. Got some incredible prices on genuine leather products like bags and wallets for gifts which was nice. Personally wasn't a fan of the snake charmers etc. Some nice restaurants out side of the main cental medina. Quite a few had student nights where there was live music or reading which was interesting.

The rest of the trip was outside of Marrakech travelling through the north atlas and towards Algeria but for Marrakech itself a few nights are enough imo. I would possibly break up the stay with a trip or excursion if staying for more than 3 nights.

As for saftely i genuinely had zero concerns. Obviously as when travelling it's wise to be sensible but security is excellent there. Loads of undercover and uniformed police in the medina and souks and even more heavy when out into the Saraha desert for example. As with all city breaks you can get a bit of hassle from locals wanting to sell you crap but a polite smile was suffice in most cases. Felt safer in Marrackech than i did in Rome to be honest. Wife and I loved it and can't wait to return.

Soldato
You mean the Foreign and Commonwealth Office are deliberately posting incorrect information to destroy the Moroccan tourist trade? Or I made it up? A quick Google for the original poster showed it show up on the ten most dangerous countries to visit list and cited the 2017 dated British government advice I quoted.

I think I was very restrained <LOL>

10 most dangerous countries to visit? Where's the list that says that?

It's not in the top 20 of this list:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/travel...ies-in-the-world-for-tourists-20170608-gwnsff

Slightly different tack. it doesn't make the top 10 most dangerous specifically for women on this list:

http://www.internationalwomenstrave...most-dangerous-countries-for-women-travelers/

This list from the Express doesn't seem to agree with you:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/894175/most-dangerous-places-in-the-world-2018

The World Economic Forum suggests Morocco is the 20th safest place to visit (although it does exclude petty crime):

http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017/ranking/#series=TTCI.A.02

So it'd be interesting to see what list ranks it amongst the worst.

Permabanned
10 most dangerous countries to visit? Where's the list that says that?

It's not in the top 20 of this list:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/travel...ies-in-the-world-for-tourists-20170608-gwnsff

Slightly different tack. it doesn't make the top 10 most dangerous specifically for women on this list:

http://www.internationalwomenstrave...most-dangerous-countries-for-women-travelers/

This list from the Express doesn't seem to agree with you:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/894175/most-dangerous-places-in-the-world-2018

The World Economic Forum suggests Morocco is the 20th safest place to visit (although it does exclude petty crime):

http://reports.weforum.org/travel-and-tourism-competitiveness-report-2017/ranking/#series=TTCI.A.02

So it'd be interesting to see what list ranks it amongst the worst.

Here you go, I copy / pasted the info from this site. Why so worried, you selling camels out there or something? ;)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/safest-most-dangerous-places-go-12413589

Soldato
Here you go, I copy / pasted the info from this site. Why so worried, you selling camels out there or something? ;)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/safest-most-dangerous-places-go-12413589

More amused by you letting your racism get in the way of logical thought. Top 10? There are easily 10 more dangerous countries in the world, anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to realise that. That link also had France, Spain and the USA in the most dangerous places to visit...

Back
Top Bottom