1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

*** Marvel Studios' Black Widow ***

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by V_R, 3 Dec 2019.

1. ianh

Soldato

Whilst I can see her point regarding the Disney+ release being a breach of contract which will have "harmed her financially", I also couldn't care less about a multi-millionaire mouth-piece crying about losing out on collecting even more money from the few fans left who she hasn't claimed were misogynists etc.

The often used (to the point of boredom) phrase of "Get Woke, Go Broke" has been the single most reliable piece of advice I've seen companies continually ignore as their profits tumble and their stock-holders grumble yet I can't think of many instances, other than new charities being setup in the aftermath of an event (BLM etc) where it's been wrong.

2. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Well everyone said that about Captain Marvel and it made over a billion dollars.

3. fez

Capodecina

Shes claiming a loss of $50m dollars. Thats a crazy amount if true. She royally pulled the pants down on Disney if thats true. Amazed they agreed to a profit share like that.

4. fez

Capodecina

I mean, any marvel film is going to make bank and that was released at the perfect time. I wonder how a second film would do. The last 3 Star Wars mainline films were crap but they still grossed billions. People are predictable beasts and will always flock to see big IP.

5. chroniclard

Capodecina

Last 3 starwars films were still all a league above Blackwidow and at least half the marvel films.:cry:

6. PlacidCasual

Soldato

You have to be joking. 8 + 9 were car crashes I almost certainly will never watch the sequel trilogy again it was that poor. A beautifully made turd.

Captain Marvel was mildly better than those SW 8+9 but I can't see myself watching it again unless I need to brush up on plot points for future Marvel movies. But it was shoe horned in before Endgame and Endgame was re-written to include teh character to guarantee the big box office. It only had to be competent to make mega bucks.

7. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

I don't think CM is deserving of the relentless hate it gets, it's not one of the best MCU movies but it was certainly entertaining enough.

8. fez

Capodecina

Well now I just can't take you seriously!

Its a pretty poor movie with a lead actress who has all the charisma of a potato. I would give it a 5/10. The Wonderwoman 1984 is a far worse film in every way to be fair to it. Gal Gadot is far more likeable than Brie Larson though so that helps.

9. chroniclard

Capodecina

Lets face it a large chunk of the Marvel movies are by the numbers dross. Starwars movies are much better than a lot of them because lightsabers.

10. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Can't argue with the Brie Larson analogy :D

However there was enough of a decent supporting cast that it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the overall movie. Samuel L Jackson, Ben Mendhelson, Lee Pace, Jude Law to name a couple.

I'd certainly watch it again over the likes of Ant Man 2, Black Panther...even Dr Strange, although I have an love/hate relationship with the Dr Strange movie, I think he's a great supporting character in Avengers but I don't like his actual standalone movie.

11. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

From what I read, it’s not all about her personal lose, the profit share system is not changing with these new distribution models so, for smaller actors that’ll make a bigger difference than it would to sj. They can’t make a headline challenging it like she can.

12. Scam

Capodecina

It's not alot if the movie made for example $1bn. She is an executive producer as well.

Yeah. Alot of smaller movies will get made with actors on a profit share deal. If someone essentially waives their upfront fee for a profit share deal, then the studio decides to release streaming-only then they have an easy way to screw said talent out of their potential earnings (assuming there is no contract wording in place for streaming, as there currently doesn't seem to be).

SJ isn't stupid. She knows how bad this looks on her, so I'm playing devil's advocate and thinking she probably really is doing it to make sure things are sorted out in the longer term. That and she must have fallen out with Disney anyway and/or knew she was never going to be in another Marvel movie.

13. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Doesn't make sense, she filmed Endgame first.

14. Bigpig

Soldato

sure Brie getting sidelined in the upcoming Marvels film :p

15. PlacidCasual

Soldato

She did film Endgame first, but Endgame was complete before they decided to include the character, reshoot to include then make Captain Marvel. The original filming of Endgame never intended to have Captain Marvel at all. But quite wisely they decided to boot the character between the 2 sure fire winners of Infinity War and Endgame how could the film fail in that scenario.

16. Moley

Mobster

Ah, good old 'Hollywood Accounting' rears its ugly head again...

17. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I've seen this posted before, but it's a distortion of the truth

https://www.cbr.com/endgame-thanos-captain-marvel-moment-rewrite/

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Oh, I've finally seen the movie and it's really not one of Marvels best is it?

I mean it wasn't bad, it was just a bit....meh.

19. varkanoid

Capodecina

Been watching some of the Marvel movies again and I rewatched Dr Strange and actually enjoyed it a lot more possibly knowing what happens afterwards. What I didnt remember though was how bloody annoying Strange was at the beginning of that movie a right mardy up-himself person.

20. krooton

Caporegime

Which is 100% true to the comics :)