US: Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (US timeline) *spoilers*

Soldato
Just watched the first episode and can confirm its very good. giggled like a child at parts, but mainly the characters are pretty cool as are the gadgets.

Thought id better put this in the US TV shows thread for those of us slightly ahead of UK TV airing.

Will definitely be following this TV show.

rotters

Soldato
I thought it was a promising start, although I did feel it was a little to cheesey, like for instance the two scientist. Annoying!!
I think it's strength is also it's downfall. I hope I am proved wrong, but for me I think the tech and the powers, will become silly and over used.

Last edited:

NZB

NZB

Associate
The whole thing felt a bit off somehow. Hopefully it'll grow on me but the pilot just didn't sit right with me.

Anyone else get Skye mixed up with Jenna Kramer (Alex) from One Tree Hill? I thought they were the same actress until i checked IMDb.

Soldato
Could definitely feel the influence of Joss Whedon in this - the dialogue in particular. Let's see if it continues into the following episodes.

Good start anyway :) Certainly has promise.

Soldato
I liked it, more than I thought I would. I expected it to be a bit cheesier but actually found myself enjoying being back in that universe again albeit without the big names. Some of the humour and as mentioned the 2 scientists were a little too much but again being a pilot they do try to cram that stuff in.

Hope it doesn't end up becoming a monster of the week show though. As if it does it will make the Avengers less important if people are gaining powers at will. Was nice to see Coulson back although:

Assuming I heard that line correctly from Cobie Smulders and Preacher from Firefly then Coulson is actually a clone/Life Model Decoy but just doesn't know it.

Soldato
I liked it, I wonder how long Robin Scherbatsky is going to be in it, although I guess How I Met Your Mother has just about run its course - I think it maybe on last ever season. Lucky for her to drop directly into another (potentially) successful series.

Caporegime
Could definitely feel the influence of Joss Whedon in this - the dialogue in particular. Let's see if it continues into the following episodes.

Good start anyway :) Certainly has promise.

Thought the dialogue was particularly un-Whedon, it was clumsy and painful at times. The scientist geeks were awful in every way, poor actors, poor lines, it's painfully bad writing when every scientist person is just a geek who can't speak normally, cliched rubbish, totally un-Whedon.

The bird who was in ER and Stargate Universe is a generally irritating/awful actress but as yet wasn't poor in this, had a fairly small role in this particular episode. Main guy who, as above is probably a clone or similar, is good, HIMYM women was decent in the film and this. The main new agent guy was good enough.

It was so cliche ridden though it was cringe worthy, the "you'll never find me" open door bit, the truth serum. There is potential but it felt, not cool and expensive but rather cheap and rushed. They are doing that in your face camera work very often and not a strong cast of known people. Considering the money going into Avengers and all the films it seems odd to make a tv show to gel with the universe that felt such a different style in terms of cast/quality/camera work.

It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great, considering the franchise I was expecting something much bigger, much grander, with a much stronger cast/writing and better directing/camera work.

Soldato
I think drunkenmaster has summed it up quite well for me.

I was really looking forward to this, I'm not usually that bothered about TV series (except for Fringe which was ruined in season 5 for me) but I'd read the previews and after how good the films were, got a bit caught up in the excitement....big mistake.

I hated the scientists as well, why on earth do they have to be so cliché that they can't function or speak as normal human beings just because they understand technology?

I was expecting something more intelligent I think, I don't know why.

What really bugs me is how young some of the people are, the scientists especially, I can't take them seriously at all because I don't believe they would have that level of experience of government clearance.

Finally...
the flying car was just stupid and gimmicky

Soldato
Not really, it's their highest since the premier of the V remake in 2009 and we all know how that turned out :p

Ooh, that reminds me, I need to finish watching season 2 with the missus, we're only half way through it, thought we'd give it a go even though it did end up in cancellation hell.

Soldato
Thought it was the worst pilot Whedon has produced, very poor quality for both the franchise and Whedon, As DM said, it felt if anything very Un-Whedon with the writing.

Apart from the established characters, the cast was poor, nice to Book from firefly make an appearance but all the new actors felt sub par for a Whedon show, disappointed.

I'm going to watch to watch the entire season with hope it kicks on from here, but that was **** poor.

Back
Top Bottom