Masking tape glue on vernierd oak help.

Associate
Hi,

Doing my house up and covered my window boards with masking tape while they plastered all rooms now it’s a night mare to get off and left a sticky substance all over. Anybody know any ideas to get it off ? Just don’t want to damage the oak with the wrong stuff

Last edited:
Soldato
I would try isopropyl alcohol somewhere discrete.
This was my first thought too, I just wasn't sure about a few things.

Is the surface varnished/sealed or is it bare wood? I ask because oak can discolour easily because of the tanins in the wood particulalry if it gets wet. If it's varnished not an issue but need to make sure the isopropyl alcohol doens't damage the varnish. So somewhere discrete

Soldato
Another option is that citrus based sticky stuff remover, again try in a discrete place first.

Isopropyl alcohol might be less likely to stain, never tried either on bare wood myself.

Soldato
For me I use lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol. I use 100% IPA rather than 70% (latter is known as rubbing alcohol).

I find IPA works better but also a little more aggressive. Lighter fluid for me has never damaged a single thing and I've used it for adhesives, dirt, skin grime (cleaning guitars, remote controls etc).

Use quality kitchen roll and turn/fold/replace often. You can't see but it gets clogged and you end up smearing the diluted adhesive around. I rip a square into 2 or 4 pieces and fold each for about 16 useful pieces.

Back
Top Bottom