massive air blockage in side rad

Associate
Hi all.

I have redone my loop and I have a big air problem with the side radiator. as soon as i turn off the pc water flows back down the top tube back into the waterblock. I have tried everything, turned the pc upside down sideways etc etc but nothing gets rid off it. Any ideas why its a problem, would the rad be better off in the top off the case, any help appreciated, also I have good idle temps abut high load, here is a pic after a r20 cinebench run, on a custop loop are these temps to high, could the blockage cause it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nothing you can do with an air trap apart from force it through.

Set your D5 to maximum.

I'm guessing that the flow direction is bottom rad first, so that one should be clear as its not fighting gravity.

Lay the case on it side ( mobo tray side touching floor ), as i would imagine any air is trapped in the top part of the vertical radiator and laying it flat will reduce and gravity keeping the air in the top part.

No magic solution unfortunately

Associate
If your pump is on maximum and still no joy, I think dismantling is your best option.
Then, outside of the case, I would rebuild it one component at a time and see where your flow reduces.
Time consuming but better than random guess work.

Soldato
Run a benchmark for abit, i had an airlock in my top rad. I could tell as the pump was struggling to keep the speed up even at full rpm.

Associate
OP
If your pump is on maximum and still no joy, I think dismantling is your best option.
Then, outside of the case, I would rebuild it one component at a time and see where your flow reduces.
Time consuming but better than random guess work.
yes mate....all ready decided to start again, oh well gives me something to do during lock down lol

Associate
It's a lot quicker to reassemble afterwards as your tubes are already the right size.
If you've never connected just a pump and one rad, get ready to be surprised at how fast it can and should be flowing.

Soldato
Shouldnt airlock. Something definitely wrong.

I've ran 2 480's + 240mm rad + 2 gpu blocks and a cpu block without any issues on a single D5 pump.

Id drain fill the res and then run the pump directly into a bowl via a tube. See how fast it comes out at full speed. Should empty the res in 1-2 seconds at full speed.

You could also drain the system then refil and run the pump at max speed and watch the flow, see when and where it slows down. Might give you an indication of the blocked component.

+ you can make it a lot neater if you wanted (my old lian-li dynamic rog edition). Ran a tube behind the mobo tray up to the top rad.
KDvPdVk.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Tried turning your side rad 180 deg so ports are on the bottom?

Air locks can be a pita but usually overcome by tilting the case in various directions, pinching tube and powering on / off the pump.

Associate
OP
Tried turning your side rad 180 deg so ports are on the bottom?

Air locks can be a pita but usually overcome by tilting the case in various directions, pinching tube and powering on / off the pump.
yea....been doing that all day, even changed the loop all sorts
just tries again this time just using water and this happened, any ideas what causing this

Soldato
yea....been doing that all day, even changed the loop all sorts
just tries again this time just using water and this happened, any ideas what causing this

Probably because the flow rate is so low it can’t push the air out and it’s perhaps just collecting the bubbles in the more restrictive areas.

How much of a flow rate do you have? At full speed should literally empty the res within about 1-2 seconds with an empty loop.

Is the pump running at full speed?

Associate
OP
well its 1.15am and finally got it sorted, ended up stripping everything down , both blocks cleaned cleaned the radiators cleaned all the fittings and its ran straight away with hardly any bubbles. The was a bit off gunge in the gpu block so I think that was the culprit. Just done a cinebench run and now have these temps

may have an hour gaming now see if the gaming temps are better :)

Associate
you might want to check that its not your CPU block that's been blocked that pump should have pumped all the air out on full settings.

I had the same thing recently with a new loop build for the life of my me I could not figure out until I broke the loop and tested each leg of the loop.

so test in this order.

pump res - 1st rad - pump res.

pump res - 1st rad - graphics card - pump res.

pump res -1st rad - -graphics card - CPU block - pump res.

pump res - 1st rad - graphics card - CPU block - 2nd rad - pump res.

edit numb nuts never noticed the above post but will leave it here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom