Masters degree in Sweden

Soldato
I am researching potential destinations to go and read my masters degree, and I just had a quick question regarding the cost of studying in Sweden. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me...

I have been looking on this website, and read:
Tuition and application fees

Tuition fees apply to students who are not citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland. The fees apply only to bachelor’s and master’s programs and courses, while PhD programs are tuition-free. Universities set their own fees, and these vary between SEK 80,000–140,000 per academic year for most subjects. However, programs in the fields of medicine and art have notably higher fees. The fee for the Universityadmissions.se application to Swedish universities and colleges for fee paying students has been set to SEK 900.

I am understanding this correctly, 'Tuition fees apply to students who are not citizens of the EU'? As a citizen of the EU, I can go and complete my masters degree in Sweden, and not have to pay for it? :confused:

Soldato
OP
Yes, it's free, for us. As with Denmark/Finland/etc, then other places are cheap (Holland, etc). You just have to pay for accommodation, etc. I'm not sure if you can get a career development loan for the accommodation, though, as there are obviously equivalent courses in the UK.
Ok, thank you. I was expecting to pay for accommodation, living, etc.

I used to think about doing a masters in Sweden/Finland/Denmark, but now, after studying in Finland, I'm reconsidering it (as I don't think the standard is as high as we think).
I will take a look at Finland, as well. I have some friends at the University of Turku.

awsome, you just need to learn how to speak said language now!
The course is in English... BO YA! ;) All of my Swedish friends, whom I'm studying with in Bordeaux, speak better English than I do.

Associate
so wait, if i did a BSC in my own country (UK) i would have to pay for it but if i did it in sweden it is free? wow..

Caporegime
Yes, it's free, for us. As with Denmark/Finland/etc, then other places are cheap (Holland, etc). You just have to pay for accommodation, etc. I'm not sure if you can get a career development loan for the accommodation, though, as there are obviously equivalent courses in the UK.

I used to think about doing a masters in Sweden/Finland/Denmark, but now, after studying in Finland, I'm reconsidering it (as I don't think the standard is as high as we think).

I think you need to consider that Masters courses are like lots of other things, some are much better than others, be it content or industry connections. You need to research the masters for the industry you are in, find the best masters for that particular industry. I'm sure there are lots of Masters courses in Finland that are better than masters courses in the UK, but also the other way round!

Soldato
OP
Don't worry so much about the cost of living - my accommodation's 440€/month, for which I get a studio flat (a room with a kitchenette/bed/wet room/desk + chair), then the uni canteens have meals for 2.50€/travel's cheap/etc.

However, my home degree (undergrad) is more demanding than my exchange degree (masters).
That's pretty good to hear. I was planning on working for a year before moving out, anyway. So this looks like a pretty good plan. :D

Thanks for your information and advice. ;)

Top Bottom